CIJ Book Discussion

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
1. How did you like the book? I picked up this book in May (I think) at our local library. Just saw the title and thought why not. I did like this book. It was not the light and fluffy book I thought I was getting, but it was enlighting to me. That life is life. It changes. We grow. Sometimes we are glad of the changes other times we dread it. BUT we do have friends even if we only see them once a year that we can rely on to help us through if only for one evening.

Was it what you expected? nope!

2. How does the story draw the reader in as a new member of the group? Did you feel a part of Marnie's cookie club? I thought by sharing these ladies lives bit by bit that we were included as part of the club. I would have loved to be there in person to get to know these ladies more.

3. Have you ever been to a cookie exchange? no Did this book make you want to host one? yes, if I felt my friends had the time to come and spend the evening.

5. The book highlights the histories of baking ingredients- sugar, vanilla, etc. Was there anything you learned that surprised you? Marnie also tells of her personal associations with these ingredients. Do you have any associaitons with any of these (or other) ingredients in your kitchen?
I loved this part of the book. I almost want to check the book back out of the library to reread these parts and take notes more carefully. I was so engrossed in their lives I didn't study these parts as well.

6. Do you plan on trying any of the recipes in the book? Yes I would like to

7. Marnie describes "the seasons thrill" (pg 72). Many members of the club say the cookie party is their highlight of the Holiday season. To them, it means the holidays have officially begun. Is there a party of event you attend each year and look forward to all year that says: Now the holidays have begun! Our church has a "Hanging of the Green" service the first Sunday in Advent. I think when they light the tree while the choir is singing tells me the season has begun. For those of us who pretty much prepare and celebrate each month it really never goes far from our minds though...LOL