CIJ-Day 5- Put it Outside-Porches, Walk Ways, and For the Birds

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Today we will focus on decorating our Porches, Walk Ways and also how you can decorate outside to feed birds, squirrels, etc for Christmas.
I am going to provide links to several original ideas for the porches and walk ways.
Please comment by sharing what you do in these areas!

Porches: Maybe one of these ideas will inspire you this year
Red Green, Traditional Simple chair with a pair of skates for those that may have a small porch or landing For those that may have a big porch and can have guests sit for a cup of cocoa Very Ornate: Can you imagine entering this home for a Christmas party:
Walk Ways: Let's explore ways to decorate besides the normal lights that illuminate a walk way leading up to the front door:

Hanging Baskets: LOVE This one! Mini lit Christmas trees: Beautiful https://www.pinterest.com/pin/94364554668240712/
Alternating Red and Green Lights: Lovely https://www.pinterest.com/pin/138485757424467829/
Candy Lights: Fun and Whimsical https://www.pinterest.com/pin/406168460153665424/

For outdoor critters: Have you ever taken rice cakes, put peanut butter on them, then sprinkle bird food and tie them onto a tree?
You can make a Christmas tree for the birds this way! Kids LOVE This activity.

How to make bird seed ornaments https://www.pinterest.com/pin/49610033385218042/
All birds invited https://www.pinterest.com/pin/66920744453205826/
You can hollow out an orange and fill it with bird food https://www.pinterest.com/pin/787004103647128720/
Sit back with a mug of something hot and watch the squirrels come in for a treat https://www.pinterest.com/pin/43839796363358249/

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I usually hang a ribbon from my porch light and I have an grapevine shaped angel that I hang near the picture window. I also put out artificial florals pine branches and large round Christmas ornaments in the 3 deck rail flower boxes I have. The squirrels like to hide the black walnuts they collect from the back of my property in the flower boxes.

I also have a runner sled I tie a wreath to and set it by the front door. We don't use our front door often so I really should think about the side entrance this year and see what I can do to cozy it up. I do have a hula hoop I could add pine branches to and create a wreath for the side area of the house. Something to think about.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We used to make birdseed ornaments when I was little.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Love the ideas.
My front porch is very similar to that urban farm house one. We use flood lights and like Jody, a sled with a wreath. We don’t use our front door much either. It would be nice to sit out there on a pretty day in the winter and have coffee.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am so in love with the urban farmhouse porch, the wicker rocker is divine. We are just building a huge verandah at our farm so some great ideas for sure.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH made triangle trees out of wood and inside are christmas lights. It is so windy here we can't put much outside.
I do love all the bird seed ideas... thinking of making some next year.

Thanks Annie

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Very beautiful. I'm in a townhome, so I have some restrictions on how much I can do, and when I can decorate. And, it's just me doing all decorating, so I keep it more simple. I have always thought about doing the swag over the door and down the sidelights, but have never done it. I'll put out a nice wreath on the door, and I have three very large lanterns that I set out. Last year, I got tall red LED pillar candles that I can set with a remote and timer, so they turn on at dusk and off around midnight -- so convenient! My tree will set in the front window, and I have a small holiday garden flat that will go out near the front steps. In the back of the townhome, on my balcony railing, I'll drape greenery swags with red ribbon bows at each support post.

While I'd love to be excited about putting out some eco-friendly decor, our association prohibits feeding any wildlife. We have coyotes that frequent the neighborhood in search of food, as well as rabbits, squirrels, and chipmunks. The rabbit population is plentiful, squirrels and chipmunks not so much. But I think the coyotes keep them in check. I have a small 22# pup, so don't want to see any more coyotes than we already have. Some people put bird feeders in the parkway trees (so technically not on Association land, although the Association does maintain it) during the summer months. For me, while I love seeing cardinals, yellow finches, red-winged blackbirds and the like at the feeders, our primary winter / year around birds are mourning doves and pigeons. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan and do not like their roosting underneath my deck.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Oh I do love a pretty Christmas porch! Our front porch is small but it is big enough to decorate! I use garland and lights on the rails and a different ribbon every year. I bought sturdy professional grade ribbon for the inside and reuse it every year but I buy inexpensive but pretty ribbon for the outside with the idea of replacing it yearly. I might sound wasteful but it's really cheap ribbon and i don't have to store it. Plus after the holiday season it is usually wet and dirty and more of a hassle to keep than to dump! I also have a 5' metal Santa that I prop on the front porch by the door. The wind constantly blows it over and I constantly pick it up. I need to figure out a way to secure it this year.

I use repurposed gallon and half gallon pickle jars as candle holders with holly and ivy from my mom's house, dollar tree pillar candles and that inexpensive ribbon tied around the neck of the jars. It really is festive when it's not raining and I can light the candles.

I used to put a tree on the front porch but I haven't done that in a while.

The end of our house is our coming and going entrance, and The Hubs built railing around it a couple of years ago because i kept tumbling down them! It's not only safer, but now I have another place to decorate! I have garland and ribbon for it. as well. My garland is the super inexpensive Walmart pine garland with white mini lights and ribbon. I put a wreath on the gate sometimes, or a metal Merry Christmas sign I picked up for pennies after Christmas one year.
'
I could go on and on....but I wont! I love the pictures and all of your descriptions!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We have a small almost square covered porch. We keep a wooden bench on there year round. In the past we've set wrapped "presents" on it. Another year, it was just a plaid blanket. Last year, it was throw pillows and a blanket.

I also like to set pillar candles of various sizes as well as votive candles around the porch. Many of the candles are in lanterns or glass jars so the wind doesn't blow them out.

We also use pinecones, pine branches, boxwood, and winterberry all growing in our yard. The boxwood grew naturally and I replanted it. The winterberry was a requested gift. They have been growing in our yard for years now. I've learned to cut the winterberry in mid November before the birds get to it. I reuse my gallon milk jugs to store the branches in water inside the garage. They keep well like that until I'm ready to decorate the porch.