Comfort foods for fall?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
What are your favorite comfort foods for fall?... meatloaf, chicken pot pie, spaghetti sauce, shepard's pie, soup...

... how about a maple-pecan pie??
Maple Pecan Pie
by Stella Zedman http://recipes.kaboose.com/maple-pecan-pie.html

Ingredients
1 cup (250 mL) maple syrup
2/3 cup (150 mL) sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup (50 mL) melted butter
1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla
1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
1 9-inch (23-cm) purchased or homemade pie shell, unbaked
Cooking Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
In a mixing bowl, beat together maple syrup, sugar, eggs, melted butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until slightly thickened, about 2 or 3 minutes. Stir in chopped pecans and pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife poked into the center of the filling comes out clean.
Let cool completely or serve slightly warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Servings: 6 to 8, or one 9-inch (23-cm) pie

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
Favorite comfort food for fall?? hmm... this will have to be soup and a hot sandwich. Doesn't matter what kind, we like them all. That is my comfort food! Cookies too of course! ::eek:rnament:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have a few comfort foods. If you saw me, you'd say, "Only a few?" lol

When the weather turns cool, chili! I use ground turkey. Maybe a grilled cheese with it. I spice it up for my sweetie....he likes spicy foods. I like turkey loaf (I just seldom, if ever, buy red meat anymore). My all time fave comfort food, tho, is chicken and noodles. When my daughter had surgery this spring, I made some and took it to her. She raved about it. I said, "Any time you want it, just let me know." "How about this weekend?" I think it is now her comfort food as well. And of course, anything chocolate!!! :rotflol:

:bigsnow:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I would have to say Chicken and Stuffing Casserole with mashed potatoes and gravy on the side. I love a good batch of pigs in the blanket (stuffed cabbage). I love country friend steak with mashed potatoes and country gravy. MMMMMmmmm. I like stew too.

I wish it were cooler... ;-)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Chili is a favorite when the weather turns cooler. I also love muffins and baked pumpkin bread. Chicken and dumplings are a good one too!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mmmmm.... comfort food....

In the fall I start to crave all sorts of yummy things!

Fresh baked bread, slathered with butter right out of the oven!

Cream based soups

Chili with Shredded Cheddar & Sour Cream on Top

Served with Cheesey Honey Corn Bread

Chicken Pie with Cornbread Topping is another good one too!

As far as sweets go...

Cooler weather will turn my thoughts to brownies

Apple Pie with brown sugar crumble topping

Hot Cocoa and Freshly Popped & Buttered Popcorn

Oh yeah, lots and lots of reasons I do not tend to lose weight during the fall months!!!

:rotflol:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My favourite fall comfort food - SOUP!

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup :turkey:

Ingredients
• 2 tbsp. "Better Butter" (butter & olive oil blend) - or use butter
• 2 cups thinly sliced onion
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. ground coriander
• 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 5 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
• 8 cups prepared chicken broth
• 14 oz. can of cream style corn
• Pepper to taste

Directions
1.Melt butter in large soup pot or Dutch oven on medium. Add onion, cook uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often until softened (do not brown).
2.Add garlic, paprika, coriander and cayenne pepper; continue to heat and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
3.Add sweet potatoes and toss until coated.
4.Add broth and stir. Increasing heat bring to a boil.
5.Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are tender.
6.Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
7.Process mixture in 2 batches, in a food processor, or blender until smooth.
8.Return to pot.
9.Add corn and pepper. Stir, and on medium high return to a boil.
10.Continue to heat and stir until heated through.
Ladle soup into bowls, dollop of sour cream in centre and sprinkle chives over the top. Serve immediately.

(Garnish with fresh chives and sour cream if desired.)
Number of Servings: 8

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Great question! Personally, fall favs are grilled cheese and soup, chili, fair food--we have a mountain fair here in the fall--gingerbread, homemade mac and cheese-yummmm!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm another grilled cheese sandwich/tomato soup fan! But not just in the fall...year round!

I have to say that chicken and dumplings were the first thing that popped in my head when I read the subject of this thread. Also, as many other obviously feel, chili. I love a hot dog roasted over a camp fire, along with toasted marshmallows. Hot spiced cider and hot chocolate are fall favs as well....but my all time favorite fall treat is a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. Full fat, whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkled on top!! I just can't wait!!

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
Fall and comfort foods go hand in hand! My faves are definitely cream cheese filled pumpkin bread and hot apple cider.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Janet

Do you use a mix for your pumpkin bread? If so, try throwing in a handfull of chocolate chips. Ohmyword!!! It is sooooooo good. I made mini muffins for my son's wedding last year, and there was not one left. I didn't even get one!! :rotflol: (And it's not like I need it. Besides, I can always make more, right?)

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Cathymac

My daughter is not a coffee drinker, but she loves, loves, LOVES the pumpkin latte from Starbucks. You may have a kindred spirit there.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Homemade chili
Beef Stew
Meatloaf
Roast dinner
Stuffed Chicken breast
Chicken pot pie

Pumpkin spice cake
Applesauce cake
Molasses cookies

Cocoa with whipped cream
Hot Apple Cider

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Pam Spaur said:
I have a few comfort foods. If you saw me, you'd say, "Only a few?" lol

When the weather turns cool, chili! I use ground turkey. Maybe a grilled cheese with it. I spice it up for my sweetie....he likes spicy foods. I like turkey loaf (I just seldom, if ever, buy red meat anymore). My all time fave comfort food, tho, is chicken and noodles. When my daughter had surgery this spring, I made some and took it to her. She raved about it. I said, "Any time you want it, just let me know." "How about this weekend?" I think it is now her comfort food as well. And of course, anything chocolate!!! :rotflol:

You hit on my favorite, Pam! Chicken and noodles are my favorite, particularly my grandma's recipe. They are a chore to make but soooooooooooooo worth it.

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Let's see...
Stew & biscuits
Ham & Beans & biscuits
Hot homemade applesauce over buttered biscuits
apple butter
mashed potatoes & gravy
fried steak & gray
cranberry muffins
cranberry, cream cheese, turkey sandwich
sweet potato pie

Oh I gained weight just writing that.

You are all going to say this is NOT a comfort food and some of you may agree...... I love CHOCOLATE!!!!! I always ate it when I needed comforting.....but, I now have acid reflux and chocolate is out. Sooooo I need to find a new food to comfort me.

I do have a recipe for pumpkin soup that I absolutely love but I am going to have to change the recipe around so I can eat it. It tastes almost like a dessert. MMMMMMM makes me hungry thinking about it.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Homemade chuncky applesauce . . . served warm with ice cream and/or granola.
Pumpkin-cranberry bread

Terrylee ~ Can you share your pumpkin soup recipe? Sounds yummy!