Countdown to New Years Day (Hogmanay)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
For the last 20 years or so we have had a small gathering at our home. We order Chinese food, drink sparkling apple cider. We may play a game or watch a movie. We discuss the highs and the lows of the year and the hopes, dreams and goals for the new year. Sometimes we are up at mid night and sometimes we are fast asleep. A very peaceful goodbye/hello and it suits us.

Reactions: jampss and halimer

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
As a widow, this is one night that I'd prefer to stay home. The parties I'm typically included in tend to be all couples, which just amplifies things. At home, I'll enjoy some good appetizers, open a bottle of really good champagne, and toast in the New Year on my own I .can do as I please, celebrate however I choose, go to bed when I want, and not have to worry about finding a designated driver or relying on Uber. Some years, I've made it to midnight, others I crash after the ball drops in Time's Square. Regardless, the fireworks in the neighborhood always wake me to signal the start of a New Year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
When the kids were little, it was a fun thing with finger food and movies.

The last few years, I rarely make it to midnight. And yes, the fireworks in the neighborhood go off so I wear ear plugs! LOL

We still have finger food and a movie earlier. Some years it was When Harry Met Sally. Sometimes it was an oldie ... The Lemon Drop Kid.

Never did parties out.