Countdown to your special event!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Whenever we need a "pick-me-up" -- we can come here and read someone's post and catch their excitement! Let's keep on sharing our exciting plans!

For me -- Thanksgiving will be the next "special event". We are on Plan B now. Plan A was just dh and I -- going somewhere in the morning, followed by a simple dinner for two. Plan B -- we are skipping going someplace on THAT morning. Instead - we will be gathering and setting out delicious foods -- for dinner for us and two people we love!

We are ordering a special pecan pie from Whole Foods bakery. (The one thing that one person requested.) We will have rich ice cream AND whipped cream. (I may slip a frozen cherry pie in the oven. I like pecan pie -- but I don't LOVE it.)

We will have a day of movies and football games. And walks - if the weather cooperates. And, for me -- CHRISTMAS DECORATING after dinner! (An early dinner. I am thinking early-to-mid afternoon.)

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Today's the day I've been counting down to! My sister and I are taking my girls (9 and 6) to Christmas in Hershey. We'll ride rides, see Christmas lights and decorations, see Santa (maybe even Mrs. Claus) and his reindeer and eat lots of sweet treats. We'll also stay overnight and maybe go swimming in the hotel pool.

Of course, it will all kick off with a trip to Starbucks!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Today was our first event. I managed to get about 85% of everything done yesterday and last night, so this morning I just had a few things to do. I even managed to get showered, dressed, makeup and hair done this year before everyone arrived! LOL!

We had 17 in attendance, and more than enough food. I ended up making two turkey breast-one roasted, one smoked and grilled a pork butt. The roasted turkey was nibbled at, the smoked one eaten well (about 4-5 slices left) and the pork butt (it was a 6 pounder!) is all but gone! Well received, as you can tell. It was pretty good, I have to admit. I grilled it last night, then warmed it in the oven today.

We had a ton of stuff left over, including a large amount of salad, cheese and crackers and some deli type snack tray stuff. Yummy! I shouldn't have to cook all week...dinner Tuesday night at the church and then Thursday at my mom's. Then...it's on to Christmas!! Yay!!

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Nice thread! Obviously, I am very excited for the festivities of the holidays. Black Friday is also my birthday, and I plan to decorate for Christmas that day, and have my traditional dinner at Carrabbas with my husband. Besides that, I have 2 trips to Disney World coming up in December and January, and I am very anxious to go! 24 days to the first trip, 70 days to the second!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
MissBritney, good to see you posting. I would be getting excited too for your trips.

I am enjoying the book I won on your blog. I read a story when turning in at night.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I do love this thread! MissBrittany -- I would love another trip to Disney ANYTIME --- but going in December, when it is decorated for Christmas, would be magical!

And I ADORE HersheyPark LadyEvenstar! And at Christmas -- Christmas at Hershey - wow!

CathyMac -- the food you prepare for your Special Days always sounds so delicious! I love it that you give choices to your guests! (I bet lots of them have some of everything -- the way I would!)

We have a "Long-Range Special Event -- coming up the weekend of June 5th! A family wedding. It will be held at a big inn on Cape Cod. So -- naturally -- it is going to be a really expensive trip! Even with the "wedding discount". Plus - there is about 20 - 25% taxes and fees. So - the room will cost almost $275!!!! But -- it is located at a pretty huge resort -- with outbuildings all over the golf course. There is a shuttle bus to take you to the less expensive rooms in buildings way far away. I can just see my husband forgetting his pills -- and us waiting 30 minutes for the next shuttle bus to get us back to the cheaper room for his pills. Or his sunglasses. Or..... whatever.

So - we are going to be in the original Inn -- the building where all the restaurants and events will be held.

So - we saved up and paid for the first night when we made the reservation. Actually - you HAVE to pay for the first night in order TO make a reservation. That is going to be MY Christmas present from dh! The fist night's charge. Pretty fancy Christmas present!

We made a reservation for the night before the ceremony too -- in case they decide to invite out-of-town guests to the Rehearsal Dinner. If not -- we will stay at a regular, discount motel somewhere off the Cape -- and then drive to the Resort the morning of the wedding.

This is a wonderful, warm branch of the family -- that is the wedding family. Their Engagement Party was really, really fun! And -- I KNOW the wedding weekend will be too! AND -- I LOVE weddings!

Which reminds me --- please keep the wedding details coming, KimLoves Snow. They give us great pleasure.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Lana, I am so glad you are enjoying your book! I have a copy near my sofa right now.

I can't think of a week coming up that doesn't include some fun activity- dinners, cookie swaps, ornament swaps, Disney, 2 friends about to deliver their first babies, practices for the Christmas presentation at church (I got a solo!), etc etc etc. I have been playing Christmas music nonstop.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I think I somehow skipped the second page when I read this thread the first time- Big congratulations to Aggy and Kim! I am excited for you both!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Special events coming up this month:

Dec 5: Dinner at inlaws with family in from Florida
Dec 17: My birthday
Dec 18: Our bowling banquet, pizza party
Dec 19: Dinner at my inlaws for my birthday
Dec 24: Christmas Eve, celebrating at the inlaws...also my dads, birthday and i miss him so much
Dec 25: Merry Christmas, the family all comes here for dinner
Dec 26: Christmas Party/FIL's birthday party at the inlaws
Dec 31: New Years Eve, will probably celebrate at home with the family and plenty of good food and games

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Right now, I'm counting down to our annual Christmas Open House which takes place one week from today. I can't wait but at the same time I know I have a ton left to do. This week I'll have to really kick it up a notch!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I have a new unexpected event to add..my friend/co-worker who was planning on hosting the company Christmas brunch had to back out-her new floor won't be finished. So we've moved it to my house! I volunteered.

It won't be too stressful. Everyone is bringing something, I just need to clean and fluff the house.

Our menu is fairly simple: breakfast casserole, hashbrown casserole, fresh fruit, croissants, muffins and juice/milk/coffee. I am making the hashbrown casserole, getting the croissants and I have the ingredients for some cranberry spread. I also have the makings of hot cider and I think I'll do that.

As far as the house goes, just a little maintainance and it should be ok. I do want to tweak some decorations...I want to add fresh pine for the fragrance and another lighted garland to the living room...I'm debating on whether I want to add one to the mantle or not. I love the streamlined look I have there-very French Country-but I sure miss the lights! I also want to run up to my mom's and get some fresh ivy, if I have time, to use on the mantle and on the front porch rails. But..it's raining today, and we have a party to attend in a little while, so that might not get done.

The party is Wednesday morning, then it's on to Christmas Eve...which may end up being just us and my mom. Still waiting to hear from my BFF if they are going to be able to come.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am setting up a Countdown to January 6th!

Our oldest son is coming to a meeting in our town -- and then spending the weekend with us! Hooray! That is good! Good! Good!

What is NOT GOOD -- is the condition of the............. guest room! (Scary music........ black and white video........ audience trembles!)

Not to mention the fact that the entire "front of the house" (living room, family room and kitchen) has been buried in clutter!

So -- today -- inspiration struck dh and myself.... and we have been working at declutering the "front of the house". Good progress has been made! It is always better when TWO people are actually working... than if only one is working!

By the end of the day....... the front of the house should be "Close" to presentable. This gives me a good four days to work on the guest room. (I don't know how much time/effort that dh can give to this project.)

So... this is my current countdown. Dh and I are hoping that we can pick up ds at the airport - and deliver him to his meeting. He will be staying at a hotel where the meeting is headquartered. The schedule is not out yet -- but there will probably be NO free time during the meeting days, Wednesday - Friday.