Crafters Challenge 1-20-13-1-26-13

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Looks like quite a few of us were working on a few things last week.

I hemmed a pr. of pants and fixed a small hole for CW's husband, finished a pair of soxs that I just crocheted the beads on, made a pillowcase, and a tie purse for my sister.

Today I did purchase MORE fabric. Several pieces were for upcoming projects for gifts and then some just to replace the material that is going out and to have alittle cushion lead way!

This week I am planning on doing Kristens pillowcase, kleenex holder and a scarf for Madison and Kristen. Will see if I have Material for the other 2 ruffles for Madison jean skirt or not. Need to really start planning our Shanes quilt. Also have a pair of pants to hem for another girl at work.

A guy asked my husband this a.m. if I would patch some pants for him.

What are your plans for the week?

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm moving forward my list from three weeks ago :0(

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I lengthened the bedroom curtains that had always been a little short. Also took up the hems on a pair of pants and cleaned out the mending basket. All those buttons are back on and the basket is empty

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I finally finished this morning, the headbands that I was making for the past couple of weeks. They took forever!

I mentioned last week that I was going to make some spa wraps from bath towels. I've started on one, but I'm just not sure how I want to do it. So, it has been laying on my cutting table all week and I just walk past it and look at it. So, finishing that will be my goal this week.

My one machine is still in the shop, and I'm hoping it will be back this week, that is the one I do most of my sewing on. That is slowing me down a little too.

I just saw an idea on Facebook for a lined Easter basket. I may need to give that a try. So many ideas, so little time!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Kim, nothing at all wrong with moving the list forward. At least you have a list and have a starting place when you have time!

Katrina, WTG! Getting things done and cleaned up!

Carol, WTG on the headbands! You will figure the towel out. Hope the machine gets done soon. We went and looked at the Babylocks again yesterday when I went for banana material. Can't decide.

I pin so much stuff on pinterest and never get around to trying it. There is always someday..... I hope!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The top 3. One lady told me to get the Spirit but had told Jaymee if I get a new machine she could have mine. Not sure I would just want an embroiderery one. Guess if I learned to use it. What model is yours?

The Unity or Ellgante 3 (sp) I just don't know! Would like the Gold but as you know I do just simple things. I REALLY REALLY want to do the lace ornaments. Need to just check into the thingy for my machine. Have heard over 2000.00 and then heard something for 200 or 300.00.

Last edited:

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I have an Ellisimo. And I also have a babylock serger, the Evolution model. The Ellisimo makes my Viking model look like a toy. I have been very happy with it. The Viking is the one that is in the shop - again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
i used my new sewing machine for the first time on Saturday night to hem the curtains. it sews like a dream. mind you I have never learned to sew so it was a totally new experience but i was very happy. It will take me a while to get confident with it but i am so happy to finally be learning

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Katrina, great work! It is very nice to be able to take care of things like that. I think one of the first things that I made was valances. Nothing fancy and I probably didn't do it the way a professional would have, but I was pleased. And they are still hanging in my dining room.

Lana, my Viking is a Designer SE. It isn't made anymore, it is the model before the Diamond. I don't have the Ellisimo Gold, my Ellisimo is the model prior to the Gold. I was told that they can add the features to make it Gold, but I haven't. If you plan to take it to classes, keep in mind that it is very heavy, not easy to transport. Whenever I take classes, I bring the Designer unit. Whichever model you decide on, make sure your dealer offers beginner classes to learn how to use it. You will also want to consider purchasing the embroidery software for your computer.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I saw a nice idea on Pinterest for a cute famed valentine saying. I will do that today and as it is our wedding anniversary on the 22nd of February it can stay up for that.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I started a new mandala tonight... that's kind of creative... it's not essential but it's fun.

wijulie

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Katrina---can I ask what kind of sewing machine you bought? I need a new one,and was doing some research before Christmas. I found a few that sound OK, but one is not recommended for fine, lightweight fabrics, and the other isn't recommended for heavy. As I anticipate using all types of fabrics, this poses a problem.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WiJulie I bought a Janome DC 2050. It has 50 stitches and is a good basic mid priced machine. It cost $400.00. Now having said that I live in Australia and that is Australian dollars and I am not sure if the Janome brand is available where you are.

So far I am very please with it, it seems like a very easy machine to use, and has most of the features I was looking for.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
hi all! jumping in late here.... righ tnow I'm crocheting myself a pair of mittens (lost my gloves) I'm keeping track of how long it takes because Feb 1 I start my crafting for my next Christmas' craft shows (I'm RSVP-ed for 2 so far)

Also working on my list of things to make for the shows other than my usual snowflakes....

lets see..... my ortho is setting me up with potential clients for doll clothes (american girl) and I finally opened an ETSY store.

HAGN
Tina