Crafters Challenge August 2nd-8th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome to the Month (HOT) of August!!!!

This is where I seriously start thinking that time is movin on!!!!!

The items I know that I have to do yet by Sepember are:

Finish up the baby gifts---I did the washrags last night but need to topstitch them yet and a couple more burp rags to go with others

Jacksons (nephew) his 2 pillowcases that were for his b'day last Sept. and he finally told me what fabric he wanted

Then I have the doll quilts to make and get sent off by first of September

For Christmas on my agenda for now is:

12 Days of Christmas items ( I do 13 one for the host) that will be a sewn item and an ornament

4 hooded bathtowels

5 pillowcases

Some washer necklaces for gifts

Scarfs for gifts

Potholders from scraps-if I get to them

Christmas ornaments for family and friends

Not for sure but maybe try some doll clothes for Teigans small rag doll--will see on it.

These items are easy just to get motivated!

What is on your list?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow, you're going to be busy Lana!

My craft list as of yet:

-Knit Barbie outfits for DD2
-Make a hat for my dad
-Sew a teddy bear for DD2
-Think of something homemade to make for DD4 (I try to make something homemade for everyone each year)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nice list Lana!
FS - might I suggest felt food for the kids? I made some one year for my niece and it was fun to do and not too complicated.

Will be working on my advent calendar pouches.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Luludou - Felt food? That sounds interesting. I'll have to look for some ideas/patterns online.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I made a TON of different types of felt food to go with play kitchen gift last year - So many free patterns, etc. online to use :)

I've been continuing my work on embroidering the flour sack kitchen towels meant for a gift this year...in the home stretch on the last towel! Woo hoo!

Also printed out patterns for next two felt ornaments on my list for gifts this year.

I also picked up the black wool felt I need for a felt runner project for our main hallway this year...plan to embroider it with a simply bittersweet vine pattern and then just blanket stitch the edges in black to "hem" it.

Since the bookshelf in question isn't very wide, I should have more than enough felt to do a second runner - this one I think I'll do some felt applique of holly leaves, etc. and then I can have another nice runner for Christmas season too :)

Excited to get that started!

I also have been lining up my supplies for making fall wreaths. I bought enough fall faux leaves, flowers, etc. at garage sales this spring to easily make one big wreath and hopefully a couple of swags too.

SO much to do!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Will continue to applique the tea towels and hopefully will finish the last set of pillow cases. Would like to get the majority of things finished by the end of August as from September I will start the spring cleaning/summer prep and will not have as much time.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Everybodys list sounds pretty good!

Lucie and AJ, I remember you talking about the food and seeing some pictures of Lucies. Jaymee made some earlier this yr. but she will need to do more for Teigans kitchen. I think they are giving it to her for Christmas--or if not redone then birthday!

Spring cleaning sounds nice! You will be in good shape--crafts done cleaning done!!!

FS, everybody seems to like homemade gifts, I bet they appreciate yours.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
-Think of something homemade to make for DD4 (I try to make something homemade for everyone each year)
I do that too. It’s really difficult sometimes to find things to make for guys. Any ideas would be welcome!

Sweetpumpkinpye ~ Done by the end of August … WOW! Hope you make it.

DD and DGD are visiting this week. DD brought tons of sewing projects. We’ve been putting appliqués and machine embroidery on baby bibs. Some for her, some for her sister, and some for a friend. They are made using fabric cut from old jeans. Her husband is a “big and tall” guy, so his old jeans make quite a few baby bibs! She also has the materials for a baby sling or two as well as a couple of wet bags. Can you tell babies are expected! We’ll never get it all done before she leaves (I don’t think). I’m also hoping to have some time to work on a wall hanging with DGD.

So for my own crafting if I get any “down time” when I’m not exhausted:

*Knit linen stitch scarf (for DD#2)
*CCS cat motif (for DD#2’s BD card)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All my advent calendar pouches are cut out. but now I haven't got enough ribbon so can't sew them before I get more as I have decided to sew the ribbon on the pouches. I also have to find a way to put numbers on my pouches.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD, I am not too hopeful that I will get it done by the end of the month but we will see.
Lucie, what about using swing tags for the pouches.

I can see that we are all hitting high gear with the crafting. At the beginning of the year we have so much time and then all of a sudden BAM we are in August and the panic starts.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
DD - The only guys on my list are my father and my husband. My husband wanted fingerless gloves, so I've made those. I think they're a good idea. The other guys in my family just get toques....they're very simple, and I don't think they'd even wear a scarf. lol. One year I made my Dad a toque with a band that could pull down over your nose and face if it got really cold. That went over pretty well too. Knitting is the only craft I can really do, so those are my only ideas :)

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
FS-could you share a link or a pattern for the fingerless gloves?-my only real crafty talent is knitting too-LOL...so envious of all here who can sew!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FS-could you share a link or a pattern for the fingerless gloves?-my only real crafty talent is knitting too-LOL...so envious of all here who can sew!

I'll take a look for the pattern. I think it's in one of my grandmother's pattern books from the forties. I love old pattern books :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Katrina had to look up what swing tags were! Yep, might be using that, they do look pretty

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Thanks FS! I love those old pattern books too-I still have my mom's 2 needle mittens one...

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
This week, I am stitching a fish out of felt as a tree decoration for my DSis's "Brides box". And I'm working on a knitted wrap for SANDS, a charity for stillbirth. Just a Cole of small things while away on holidays, in lots of rain.

I need to get back on track with my crafting at home.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
August Creative Adventures

[x] Etch glass casserole dishes for sisters birthday.
[ ] Sew handbag for DIL.
[ ] Sew shirt for fall outfit(Myself)In Progress
[ ] Finish family ornaments
[ ] Finish kitchen garland
[ ] Make bowl cozies for sister & DIL's(16 Total)
[ ] Finish living room curtains
[ ] Sew dining room valance
[ ] Sew quilt & pillowcase for oldest grandson
[ ] Crochet on afghan for Mom- Daily
[ ] Make Elf shirt for youngest grandson
[ ] Sew pajama bottoms for all 4 grandchildren (Bought the fabric)
[ ] Make fall pillows & door hanging for front porch
[ ] Make fall arrangement for mailbox
[x] Make framed chalkboard print for daughter in law http://magicalholidayhome.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1299

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Wings nice to see you back!

Ellen... quite a list! you impress me.