Crafters Challenge January 22nd-28th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We are getting close to the first month of 2012 being gone! In fact there is 338 days until Christmas.

This past week I did order my vanilla beans from e-bay. So I will get my vanilla started when they arrive and I go get the liquor. The last time I started it on Jan. 17th or so and the first time I did it in August.

I also ordered my Christmas cards from e-bay. Was a really good price and I couldn't pass it up.

I went to start the pillows last night and the way I was going to do them won't work and I already cut all 4 apart and down so I have another plan now. I will get 8 pillows besides 4 and I actually brought the material that corresponds with the pillow panels just to have (it was Christmas material half price so of course I had to get it) so will have plenty to do the backs.

I hope to work on 3 necklaces this week. For my 2 nieces and a great niece for Christmas. I won't over plan so maybe I will get something done.

For Jaymee (my daughter) I got some wine material and I think I will do an apron, maybe some pot holders and coasters if enough. Also got this material with big pictures and there are 4 different ones so might do place mats and also back them with the first material so they are reverisble. Will have to get some more of the first one maybe. Will be for Christmas.

I need to do Jaymee a new stocking for Christmas. I made the kids some a few years back but I used a cherry materail for her and I think a wine or sign language (that is her job) print would be better. My Ryan is deer and then SIL Ryan is John Deere.

What are you all doing?

Last edited:

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Finish bookmarks from Pop's ties.

Continue decluttering craft/sewing things for the 4-H fabric sale.

Update 1/26
Found a pinecone motif table cover that I had forgotten about. I'm going to finish handquilting it, and I think I'll make it into a Christmas wall hanging with rod, pretty cord to hang, etc. I've got the hunter green thread to finish hand quilting, I just have to get on it.

Found 3 yards of heavy flannel that would make a great blanket for DGS. I need to find some sturdy binding for it. I'm going to cut it in half, pin it, tie it with bright red crochet thread and bind it.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Since I did finish the Hawaii scrapbook I am right on schedule!

I've gone through more of my craft stuff today to see what I need for cards - I think I'm OK!

So this week I'd like to finish the knit shopping bag I'm working on and see if it could translate itself into a holiday gift.

Lana - the vanilla sounds lovely.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The homemade vanilla is great. I started making it after reading about it here. Not sure I'd be able to part with some for gifts. lol

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am still trying to firm up my crafting plans for the year. For the past week I haven't worked on anything!!!

I did get my craft room (a room I share with DH as our office) completely cleaned up and organized though - so that is something! It is amazing how much cleaning/organizing you can do when you are searching your home for a lost set of safe keys. :( Still haven't found them! UGH!

In any case, yesterday I started on a new project - something for DS's tree this year. You know how we used to make paper chain garlands in school with red and green construction paper?

I'm making one with strips of red and green felt. I used my rotary cutter and new cutting mat (gift from DH this past Christmas) and cut several strips of each color (cutting the 8x11 sheets you can get for $0.25 into roughly 8 long strips) - then I cut each of those strips in half and started sewing.

From just two 8x11 sheets of felt I ended up with a chain that is already 5 feet long! It is an easy project and is moving quickly. Once I have all the loops done I may go back and add buttons or glitter somehow to embellish it - or I may just leave it as is - we'll see!

For now, this is my busy hands project while I get the rest of my plans for the year in place. AND purchase the supplies I need! We've had unexpected bills this month that mean no $ for craft supplies for a while!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Working on craft room organization for the next couple of weeks. I have a big scrapbook desk now that has a bunch of cubbies and cabinets tor storage. My craft supplies outgrew the desk years ago...so it is a constant pile up of stuff with no home. I am moving more toward a big wall of storage set up. I started painting an old dresser which is destined for this wall. Have a couple of bookcases, two dressers, a couple of miscellaneous cube and paper storage units. Most is already black. The rest needs painted to match. Trying to decide on zebra or polka dots...but definitely going with all black and white storage and accessories. This should keep me busy for a while.

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
AuntJamelle and Candysprinkles i need to clean my craft room but bedroom is this month so hoping Feb. will be for it.

I did make 3 necklaces tonight and got them for Christmas gifts. 2 nieces and a great niece.

Picture on blog.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am working on knitted lace edges that I will sew onto pillow cases. This year all the girls I know are getting a set of pillow cases for their birthdays. I also did some tile coasters for a friens, I used rub ons and they came out really well. I have a massive list to get through but I am simplifying so I don't get too overwhelmed.