Crafters Challenge January 27th-----February 2nd, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Katrina I have a pattern but it's in French. I would love dJ's method! will have to look it up. I do have a book I had last Christmas but I think I'm too much of a beginner for it.
I use the Kroy yarn for socks. She told me anykind of sock yarn as long as it's 75% wool.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
DJ is this something like you use for your socks? Looks like fun.

Reactions: MrsSoup

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I find it so relaxing and satisfying to watch other people knit and crochet. haha Does that make me weird?

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Katrina. I use mainly sock yarn like Paton Kroger sock yarn or sock weight yarn in hanks from the local yarn shop which you than have to wind into balls. Paton is a Canadian company so it’s easier to buy than the lion brand sock-ease.

I have made socks from Bernat super value to make some slouchy socks. The sock weigh yarns are best for wearing with shoes or a little thicker yarn may also work. But if you use heavier yarn you are looking for socks for boots or just for wearing around the house etc.

Please note that sock yarn does contain at least 60% wool with some nylon or other type yarn. There is a few types that do not contain wool but they do wear out faster.

Lion brand on their website www.lionbrand.com under yarns show all thee different colours they carry in their sock yarn as well as free patterns for socks.

Paton yarns along with their colours and sock patterns can be found at www.yarnspirations.com
Believe Joanne and Michaels in the states carry this yarn.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Yes, that's the magic loop method. I haven't watched the entire video, just up to where she starts the heel. I don't do that cast on. I do a Cat Bordhi cast on, but I think she has a newer one that looks easier. The cast on in the video looks like a good one to try, too.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
May I ask, what is the purpose of using the little swatch of crochet and then knitting onto it to cast on for the magic loop method if you are going t o remove it later? Why not just knit from the beginning? Or am I misunderstanding? I haven't finished watching the video yet, but it seems like something I could follow.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Mrs Soup. The reason for the little crochet cast on is with this method she is working the toe area as a flat piece. Once the flat piece gets to a certain point and curves for the toes you than remove the crochet and put the live stitches onto the needle and work the foot in the round resulting in no seam at the toe of the sock.

I use the Turkish cast on to start my socks. I don’t use the magic loop but two 16inch circular needles putting half of the stitches on each needle. When it comes to the heel all stitches are on the one needle making it a little easier to do it. I have not had luck knitting the magic loop way. Just can’t seem to make it work for me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That video was very interesting. I have not watched it all the way through but think I will enjoy it.
Will look and see if I can find the appropriate yarn here, (we call yarn wool no matter what it contains :rolleyes:).
we do get the Paton's brand here so could look for that. I am off to the craft shop today so will see what they have.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks for the explanation Rose!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Katrina ~ Your comment about the term "wool" reminded me of my DGD, Julia, when she started playing with some of my knitting yarn, she started singing "Ba ba black sheep, have you any wool?" I had to laugh.

You're all making me want to knit socks! But I have an afghan and at least 3 prayer shawls I must make!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the craft shop and asked if there is a specific wool for knitting socks and the young lady said there was. Would you believe in Australia sock wool is called sock wool!!!! Who would have thought. The particular shop I went to does not stock sock wool.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I want to knit socks too! I like that video. I didn't watch all of it but like her teaching style. Going to forward to my cousin the knitter in the family.

Rose, the scarf is beautiful. Your work is impressive! I have the Lacey bag pattern too. Do you finish the inside of your bags according to the directions? I like a more finished look for the inside and have been trying to figure out a different way to put it together. The French seam method was a pain to do.

Still working on my quilt. I picked apart some of my blocks because of the color combos and re stiched them. I want to get the blocks laid out and stiched together but I'm stuck on the couch with a ice pack on my back today. Maybe later tonight if I can.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Myron yes I finish the bags according to the instructions and than zigzag the seams. What about covering the seams with binding. Either with purchased or binding made from the same fabric used on the inside of the bags. Do you have the larger size bag pattern as well(handles)? If so how much larger is it? Been trying to decide if I should get it.

Katrina sorry the store didn’t have any sock yarn but if they have any super fine (1) yarn with at least 75%wool in it it should work. 32 stitches to 40 rows on 2.5mm needles is what the Paton sock yarn island lionbrand is 30stitches and 40 rows on 2.75mm. Both gauges are for 10.16cm (4 inch) square

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Rose, thank you for that advice. I will head off to the big craft store over the other side of town in a few weeks and see if they have the right wool. As it is still the height of Summer here I may be a bit early but I am sure that there will be a lot of wool around very soon.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I've been able to knit quite a bit on the afghan in the last two days. I plan to spend at least an hour a day on it and then the prayer shawls once the afghan is finished.

I was able to get more binding for the art smock today, so came home and got that finished up. It's pretty cute if I do say so myself! I used wide binding around the neck and switched to a narrower binding around the edge, which I liked better.

Sewing Club was fun again today.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finally checking in - have been home bound due to weather and busier than a warm armed paper hanger between working from home and elearning with DS. Hope everyone made it through the cold - or if you live somewhere warm I am super jealous.

I did finish 2nd pillowcase's embroidery. Also drew pattern onto flat sheet and the pillowcases and flat sheet for the second set of sheets I'm doing. Have made a small start on first flat sheet's embroidery.

Hosting Superbowl party this weekend - and DS's birthday party at the gymnastics place falls this weekend as well so I have my work cut out for me. Hoping to have time to craft again Sunday night. If I'm not in a coma. :confused:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Hi AJ, hope that the party goes well.
Still working on the Santa tote, the back is knitting up quickly and hope that it is done today. Then to work on the gusset.
Need to decide what to do next as I want to get a few small things done before the Winter starts as then I will probable just crochet or knit.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Rose ~ Sorry about the frogging you had to do.

I'm managing to put more time in on my knitting and did finish the card fronts for 7 Valentine cards. I just need to do the inside greetings now.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Well, one of my hobbies is picking out fabrics that would go together in a pretty quilt. So at Creative U today, I found myself at the flat fold table where they have reduced priced fabrics. I picked out a bunch of them that would be pretty together in a quilt and got 1/3 yd of each, plus enough for backing for a throw size quilt. It will go in my stash for some future project, or just to give me pleasure! I ended up getting it all at a 40% discount over the already reduced price, so I was very pleased with that. Not sure where I'll store it though … LOL

Reactions: Lana