Crafters Challenge July 18th-25th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Another week down!

I am getting into the mood now to really start on the Christmas crafts.

I will go to Joanns on Thursday. (going with DD and DH's aunt to look at patterns for bridesmaid dresses)

BUT...... I want to get:

1.) material for a baby quilt for my nephew

2.) look at patterns for aprons for my 2 nieces and nephew (will be 4,5 and 7 at Christmas) .
Trying to decide if I want the full aprons or just the waist tie.

3.) Then I want to get supplies for the ornament I have chose for the 12 Days of Christmas Swap (if they have it)

What are your plans?

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Interesting that you should ask...I was cleaning and decluttering and came across some wooden letters I bought a couple years ago (yes that long)....I had painted them white...They spell out Jingle.....so my goal is to give them another coat of paint and then break out the Christmas scrap paper to start decoupaging (sp?) then....each letter gets a different paper....hmmm...maybe...we will see.

I think they will look cute sitting on the shelf in my kitchen and I can add a few jingle bell oranaments to make a little display!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Well, my embroidery sewing machine is still in the shop, and I still need to finish ornaments. They said the part was on it's way, so hopefully in the next couple of days I should have it back.

I've been working on a quilt for a good friend of mine. Her birthday was in June, I usually make or embroider something for her and I just didn't have any good ideas this year. So this past week I started putting together a quilt for her. I think she will like (I hope) the colors. I still have my old trusty Singer sewing machine and that is what I am using to piece it together. That part is almost complete. I can't quilt with this machine because I don't have the right foot, so the quilting will need to be done on the machine that I'm waiting to get back from the shop. When I have it pieced together I will post some pictures of my progress on my blog.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I managed to cast on the right front of DNiece's cardigan, and got the first 10cm or so knit. I am hoping to get at least as far and through the row making the eyelets for the waist (where the ribbon will go through to tie) by the end of the week.

DH just banned the sewing machine from the holiday plans - so I will have to leave it at home and start a new knitting project instead. Or perhaps bring a few handsewing projects (or maybe as well).

And I REALLY have to get sewing when I get home again.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Never made it back on last week it was just a hectic and bad week but I did get some work done on the bags and a little on friends frame.

Lana I'm not going to get the quilt done, just don't have the time todo so.

So same list as last week but this week is going to be better, more explained on my blog

\\Makayla's plastic canvas bags for next years birthday party
4 bean bags for Kenny
Makaylas poppet and clothes
Kalis poppet and clothes
Becki's frame

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
KimD, why can't we just do what we enjoy in life and let everything else fall in place! Man, I am a dreamer. You are working on stuff so that is good.

Carol, that quilt is great color and I like the pattern.

I admire all you quilters. The very few PLAIN quilts I have did I tied. Would love to try hand quilting and machine quilting. Do you have to use the hoops or just the footer made for quilting. As Carol and I talked before my machine does that stuff and I have a small and large hoop. I just haven't utilized the machine. I brought a nice one hoping it will be my last one.

WingedOne is knitting away!

So proud of you all?

Doodlebug, have you had time this summer to work on your crafts?

We had Halmier, dreamer and I know there was others out there........

Sorry if I didn't spell or get your sign on names right!

Lisa and Jessica have been so busy with other stuff I don't think they get to sit down for long to knit.

I went in to edit this after posting and says server is to busy, so I may not get it up.

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My DGD and I knitted a little on my knifty knitter's today. Can I be honest? It is hard for me to craft in this heat. I like knitting on my KK but it's like I need cool or cold weather to really enjoy it, thereforth want to do it.

Anyone have any Summer crafts they like to do? I eat different foods in Spring/Summer and it looks like I need different crafts to do in Spring/Summer. KWIM?

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Thanks Lucie and Lana!

Lana, I machine quilt, I'm not fond of hand work, a lot of people sew on the bindings by hand, but I do all by machine. I think if you enter your quilts in shows or at the fair, you are required to hand sew the bindings. I'm not doing that, so no problem there. And I haven't made a quilt larger than a "throw" size, the bigger they are, the harder they are to work with.

I was taught to use a walking foot to do the machine quilting. It moves the layers of the quilt thru the machine better without shifting the layers. I haven't been able to get the knack of "free form" quilting, so I usually "stitch in the ditch" which means I sew in the seams.

The only time I use one of the hoops to quilt is if I am doing an embroidery design to quilt with. I have one of those types of quilts started, but not finished, and I started it a couple of years ago.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I may not have MADE any crafts today, but I DID get to a fabric shop before the sales finished at lnuchtime - and I got another 6.5 meters of cottons (I am getting ready to tackle quilting as I have been given so many bits of cottons by my mum and gran, that will work together but I needed some bits to bring them together properly) and 4 balls of black cotton (wool) to make an "easy lace shawl" as my knitting on hols project. As the sewing machine was banned!!

So I'll have my cardi to finish for niece, shawl for myself, (will throw in the wool I got last week for a v-necked vest for DD) and perhaps a couple of facecloth patterns in case I get bored!! And I will bring the bits for handsewing a couple of tree decorations too.

My reason for so much for a 1 week trip - we are going to a house in an area where it rains, a LOT, and the only tv there has SHOCKINGLY bad reception. So either I will do lots of reading, or lots of knitting, or both.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Winged One - you don't know how much yarn I brought with me for our three month odyssey to Alaska - and how much I bourght along the way - to keep me entertained during long car trips.

This week I finished another writstlet and am working on its mate. I also started a hat using the leftover yarns. So I'll finish up what I have there and debate what to start next.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
just a quick update while DS12 is calm..... only got in 54 mnutes on the wolf cross stitch....dobut it will get done by the end of the month like I had hoped.

hagn
Tina

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I have worked on somethings this week so far. I tried takeing something with me to my dd & nieces softball game yesturday but I get to into the game todo anything else.

I really need to finish up getting the frame painted for Becki today, at least that is my plan todo.

I am so excited my niece slipped the other day and told me that she was crocheting me a blanket for my birthday in October, with her grandmothers help. After she told me she said she wants to show me how much she loves me the way I show her how much I love her. Now I can't wait until my birthday.

Now to go take a nap and get that frame done

\\Makayla's plastic canvas bags for next years birthday party
4 bean bags for Kenny
Makaylas poppet and clothes
Kalis poppet and clothes
/Becki's frame

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
I have not been crafting or sewing as much as usual due to some unexpected life events of late plus the intense heat has made me rather sluggish. Consequently I have not been posting only reading this discussion.

completed this month:
hemmed cotton baby blanket for a missionary
assembled the third set of little Christmas blocks
prepped supplies for 50 lace and ribbon bookmarks for the church ladies to
assemble

currently:
resumed the cross stitch decorative pillow top
started fabric sunbonnet for myself ~ new project, hopes it works

Charlotte

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My DGD & I have worked a little bit tonight on latch hook wall hanger...

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
I finished my Christmas Nativity cross stitch that I began last week. All I need to do now is attach the pieces to foam board and place in the frame.

Next up: finish a baby blanket begun over a year ago. My neighbor is expecting in September and that would make a nice gift.