Create something from nothings

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
In these tough economic times, here is the challenge I put before you: Create something from nothings.
We all have our little scrap piles of yarn, papers, fabric, etc. What can you create out of some of your leftovers? Alternatively, if you have no scrap piles, what can you create out of supplies that you've said you'd use 'someday' but have sat in the corner of your closet for years?

Years ago my grandmother gave me her scraps from 30 years of knitting, which I intended to make into granny squares. It never really happened and I was thinking about throwing them out when it hit me. People who lived in the depression era wasted nothing. There are tons of small projects that I could make that could be of use to someone.

To see a few things I made from scraps: http://frostyshimmer.blogspot.com/2008/ ... hings.html (All 3 projects were made in the time it took to watch 1 movie)

:bigsnow:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Cute projects!! You are right - nothing was wasted back then.

:hat: Melanie

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Frostyshimmer~I am so impressed with your talent! I can't knit or crochet, so I always admire the work of those who do. What is the old expression: waste not, want not? I am bound and determined to use more of my fabric scraps to do something!! Thank you for the inspiration! I hope to see more of your art on MHH>

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Hey thanks, Dahliadoll!! Good ideas! I thought maybe even the birds could be Christmas ornaments, too!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have a question for all of you crafters out there. At my office, we get samples of very nice cards for Christmas. I probably have at least 30, and they are approximately 4x7. I want something clever and creative to do with them. I have thought about using them as scrapbook covers. Or maybe, make recipe books. The fronts of the cards are beautiful: some are embossed. I can always cover the "inside" with scrapbooking paper. Another thing I could do is have DGS make a Christmas card book with the fronts of the cards. He's in kindergarten and would like that. (I have duplicates of several of the cards.)

Any other suggestions from you guys? Something quick and inexpensive, please.

Thanks. I thought this would qualify for this thread.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have decided that I am going to use the fronts of my old cards to make gift tags this year - cut a nice part of the picture from the front, punch a hole and thread with some ribbon/string.

I'm not sure I have any other ideas for you Pam, although that probably isn't what you;re looking for.

Dahlia Doll, TFS. I have printed off the grab ball pattern (and also gotten a drawstring tote backpack pattern from the same site that I think I can do with a remnant for a niece!).

I was going to use some of my small bits of wool to (try) to make a jumper or cardigan for DD's doll for Christmas. I may even use up some leftover baby wool to make a blanket. I know I saw a few lovely little patterns for stocking decorations that are knitted recently (I think the links were here on the crafts pages but I can try and find them again).

I know that I found a set of fairisle golf club covers (for drivers - you know the ones with the large heads), and small things like wine bottle covers, before - I think they were both on About.com as well (in the knitting section though - the grab ball was in the sewing section). They'd both be good stashbusters I'd say (the fairisle was nice as you could use lot of little bits of colour - I'm just terrified of patterns that intricate yet).

I made a grocery bag holder in the past which is great, but not much use here anymore (we have a tax of 22c per plastic bag, so most people now bring their reusable ones to the stores). But that used only a small bit of fabric, and would be great even using a "crazy paving" kinda patchwork to use up bits. Just make a tube about 30" long, maybe 12" wide piece of fabric, with a drawstring at the top (which is also the hanging hook) and a drawstring at the bottom (which is much smaller as it needs to keep the bags in, but not so small you can't get them out). And very useful hanging inside the pantry or cloakroom door.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Christmas cards . . . I use them as tags on packages, too. If you use a plain wrapping paper, the cards make beautiful decorations just affixed to the gift.

Check out ideas
here.

You can make placemats with them . . . your youngster would probably enjoy doing this.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Pam Spaur said:
Frostyshimmer~I am so impressed with your talent! I can't knit or crochet, so I always admire the work of those who do. What is the old expression: waste not, want not? I am bound and determined to use more of my fabric scraps to do something!! Thank you for the inspiration! I hope to see more of your art on MHH>

Thanks! Knitting isn't nearly as hard as it might look.

I am in awe of anyone who can sew! I've tried many times and well....let's just say glue is a very good friend of mine.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Check out ideas [/color]here.

DahliaDoll~

I checked it out. Awesome sight. I got some wonderful ideas to use with my DGS. Thank you so much.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
FrostyShimmer, i love the things you made, just awesome. Luludou, that tree frog is so stinking cute, i wish i was crafty, i want one!!! :ghost:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Frosty all three are very cute. 90% of my scraps from different projects get donated to either the school art department or to dd9's girl scout troop.