Crockpot or Buffet Server?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
:help: I have always had a 2nd crockpot to use for big holiday dinners. I used it mostly to reheat and keep warm the mashed potatoes or stuffing that I made earlier. Well, it bit the dust a few weeks ago. I was ready to go buy another, when I saw a "Buffet Server" in Target's Sunday ad and I wondered if that would be a better idea. It contains 3 stainless chafing dishes and could therefore hold the potatoes, stuffing and a veggie. We have big extended family and do a buffet rather than a true sit down dinner.

Does anyone use something like this that you use? What do you think of it?

ChristmasMissy

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
The buffet server sounds nice and perfect for big family dinners. Wish I had one of those when we had ALL of the family over. If we ever get back to big family dinners again I would get one. Great idea! Thanks for sharing! :rudolph:

You really have to see it in person because the sections are usually not that big if serving a LARGE family. My uncle used one last year in the single use and filed it with sauce with sausage and meatballs to go with my Aunt's stuffed shells. But for me the sections are too small to suit our large family gatherings!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I actually saw the same one, not on sale, at Meijer while grocery shopping. According to the box, each section is 2.5 qts. Not too bad. I figure I'd have to refill them after (or during) everyone going thru the line, but I have to do that with most of my erving bowls anyway.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I saw something similar -- it was actually an electric roaster (could roast a 15 lb. turkey) and it came with the buffet server inserts. I would love to know how well these work! You're right, you'd have to refill them for large families.

I also saw big aluminum foil pans on stands at the Party store. They had some type of little candle burner underneath to keep the food warm and the pans were disposable. They'd hold LOTS of food. Has anyone tried these?

Jadyne

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I faced the same decision a few years back. I went with the crockpot because the inserts were just to small to be convenient for a buffet party. I find it easier to use an additional crockpot(s) that holds enough for everyone and lessens my workload.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have multiple crockpots, but I would love the three station buffet server, even if I would only use it a couple times a year! :grin:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I saw a nice three section buffet server at Walmart today. Each pan was fairly big -- I was in a hurry and couldn't look for specifics -- I think it was just under $70.

I have enough big family gatherings over here that I could probably justify buying one, but that's a chunk of money for me right now with Christmas coming up.

Holiday Joy said:
I saw something similar -- it was actually an electric roaster (could roast a 15 lb. turkey) and it came with the buffet server inserts. I would love to know how well these work! You're right, you'd have to refill them for large families.

I also saw big aluminum foil pans on stands at the Party store. They had some type of little candle burner underneath to keep the food warm and the pans were disposable. They'd hold LOTS of food. Has anyone tried these?
Yes there are two tins with the sterno's (candle thing). Those big pans get a little water and you insert 2 smaller pans in each of the larger pans to keep the food warm. We have used them for several party occasions and fundraisers. The food though will of course stay warmest as long as it is covered also. So when you buy the tins to hold the food make sure you get the ones with lids or get some large heavy duty foil to put on top.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Thanks for all of your insights. I think I've made my decision - I'm going back to the good old crockpot. I had the chance to look at the 3 section buffet server at Costco yesterday and even though 2.5 qts. per dish seemed a fairly decent size, when I saw it out of the box and in my hands, it did seem small to me. christmascreations, you were right! :D