Declutter by discovering multiple uses for gadgets???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm curious to see if others have any tips or tricks to share on this topic.

In the interest of decluttering my kitchen, I have paired down utensils and pots/pans, etc., etc.

And boy have I gotten rid of some crazy things! It is like every single possible task in the kitchen has it's own specific item out there that stores want you to buy. It is insane!

:confused:

What I love discovering, is how items intended to be used in one very specific way, can actually be used in multiple ways. Thus less space is taken up for storage!

For example:

I have a "melon baller" that I contantly use to hull strawberries, clean seeds out of the inside of halved cucumbers or halved jalapenos, etc.

No need for the special strawberry huller. No need for the highly special cucumber de-seeder that I just know is out there somewhere on store shelves! :haha:

I have also heard of some folks using their blender in place of a food processor.

Or instead of buying a stainless steel bar for rubbing smelly onion/garlicky hands on, I've heard folks that just rub their hands on their clean stainless steel sink.

Any other ideas along these lines? Whether it is a utensil, pot/pan, appliance or servingware I would LOVE to hear your brilliance!

:-D

I use the iced tea mix scoops as a scooper in my flour and sugar containers. It is also the perfect size for pouring batter into muffin tins!!!

I use MY melon baller as a scooper for my homemade truffles.

I try to save all glass bottles (dressings, fruit jars in dairy case, pickles, etc) and repurpose them to hold things like homemade chicken broth, leftover grease, and fill with candies and what nots for gifts!!!!

I save plastic containers (like mayo and Peanut butter jars) to hold small items like crayons, great for shaking up and holding puzzle pieces for travel, travel condiments(ketchup, soy, BBQ fast food packets),etc....

I know there is more but I can't think of them right now!!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I have a small soup ladle that I use to scoop pancake batter onto the griddle-perfect sized pancakes every time.

I also use white (larger than normal) cream pitchers that I picked up from the $1 Shop for holding pancake syrups for our family breakfasts.

My ice cream scoop gets double-duty often at big gatherings like Thanksgiving as a mashed potato server!

I have an old wine bottle that I washed out and use for serving juice at breakfast. I have a "collar" of beads on a wire that I put on it to gussy it up a little, or sometimes I tie a little raffia on it for decoration.

I have a few stemmed glasses that I sometimes turn upside down and put a candle on the base for a centerpiece.

I have several pitchers that get silk or real flowers on various occasions.

Anything at my house is subject to become a centerpiece item or even a serving piece. I have a large handled basket that I sometimes line with a small trash bag and use as a drink cooler...just pour some ice in the bag and add bottled or canned drinks. It's so different that it attracts some attention.

I'll keep thinking and try to come up with some more ideas! Great thread!!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
I have an old "red flyer" child's wagon, that I've painted, (primitively mind you LOL), patriotically that I use to hold paper plates, containers of plastic silverware, plastic cups & napkins for our annual cookouts. Tie some raffia & wild flowers or balloons to the handle if you wish.

My DH split a pretty good sized oak log in half and then hollowed it out for me. I scrubbed it down on the hollowed-out side and then "seasoned" it several times with vegetable oil and use it for holding buns, breads, rolls, etc. I even have lined it with plastic wrap and put salads in it. Ideas are endless.

Pippi

Cathymas I never thought of placing stemware upside down to use the base as a candle holder....I like that idea and will keep it in mind when I have adult type parties again....hehe!!! I am still the mom who is stuck in the kiddy/mommy rut as opposed to someone other than the mommy!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Some great ideas!
If anyone is like me, you often forget to take the meat out of the freezer the night before you want it for dinner. When that "As Seen on TV" thing came out that thaws meat in an hour I felt it was just what I needed. Fortunately my science-nerd DH reined me in - all it takes is a dark pan such as a non stick skillet. I set the meat on it and sure enough it's thawed in record time.