Decluttering Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Anyone decluttering their Christmas storage area? I'm looking for any advice on how to part w/some Christmas stuff.

It seems silly to post since its so simple, just give some things away. But I'm struggling to part with my Christmas goodies. I'm using a bedroom closet to store my 6 containers (3 regular 20x16x16?, 2 14x12x12? & 1 shoebox size). There are other non Christmas items stored in this closet too. Also, half of my cedar chest is filled w/Hallmark ornaments & there's another box 12x8x18? in the chest. I have a few individual boxes w/Christmas village type houses (3-4) in various closets since my storage space is really tight. It bothers me to waste so much time search for certain items. However, my containers are like puzzles, things only fit in a certain combination. KWIM? Seems like the only solution is to give some away. I could make a little more storage space if I give away other non Christmas items...

We used only 30% of the decorations "this year", but I actually like to decorate more than that. I've tried to go through several containers recently, but feel guilty whenever I start pulling things out to give away. Help? Oh, did I mention I like to add a few new items each year... I really need help!

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It is hard to declutter Christmas items. I'm starting on this too. I figure if I am not using it I can bless someone who would use it. I am putting items in a declutter box and if I do not use them next year the box goes. I'm not even going to look in there after next Christmas, just take the box to the thrift store. There are always more Christmas items to buy so it's not like I'll have to do without.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
We lost our home & 98% of it's contents in Oct. I lost quiet a few Hallmark ornaments. Now I'm of the opinion(about everything) if I don't love it, really want it or need it doesn't come in here. That leaves less to grieve over, God forbid a tragedy should strike, less to clean up around, less to move & less to store etc...

I'm learning I have "enough" & that's plenty. Everyone has to figure out what their own "enough" is.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I find it very hard to get rid of stuff, unless it's broken

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I have decluttered my storage area where I keep my decorations. I managed to downsize from 7 storage bins to 5. Not much but it's a start. I hope to downsize more when the holidays are here again.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Last year I went through my stuff. If I didn't love it, I didn't keep it. We tend to gather small, little unimportant things during Christmas. I got rid of that and other things I couldn't part with I put in a separate box with a label not used. It contains a few ceramics my grandmother made. They aren't my thing and not my favorite, but I don't want to part with them either. When that box gets pulled down, I might pull out a thing or two from the top, but for the most part I don't use it right now. Maybe someday I'll change my mind. But I'm okay with my decision. I made a decision last year that my decorating wasn't going to be about adding things, but I wanted to try and focusing on using what I had to add to and that made it easier for me.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I think de-cluttering Christmas is really hard--I just did some while I was putting away everything this year, I just decided I had no more room to store EVERYTHING, so I managed to get a box together for Goodwill..I just realized there were things I never put out, that I just re-packed every year...soooo I decided to purge..
I think every year I will just try to keep what I really use and/or want, and go from there...because I will NEVER stop getting Christmas things!

Someone at work said on her secret santa wish list-"no more Christmas stuff, I have enough"--I thought that is so sad :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Connie, that is sad. Its still nice to get. It can get old, so there is nothing wrong with purging when your taste change or you just need a change.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I purged a bit of stuff this year, I realized that I just didn't love it so out it went. I found it hard at the time but now can't even remember what is gone!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
It really helps to see how ya'll are handling this. I really want to get more organized & to make this happen I must give away some of my unused Christmas things. Planning to start on 1 container this weekend. My goal is to find 5 things in each container to give away. That's about 35 items. Wow, that sounds like a lot of extra space. Wish me luck!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Appleton that's great. Good luck.

No decluttering here today.

I did get some fantastic news though. My rental office sent me a letter today stating that because my kitchen is so old they are giving me an entire new kitchen. That means: new stove, new dishwasher, new floor, new fridge, a built-in microwave and the best thing of all, new kitchen cabinets. Talk about someone being happy. I have been doing cartwheels (in my head anyways) since I got home. LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Line under the sink with flooring

My rental office sent me a letter today stating that because my kitchen is so old they are giving me an entire new kitchen. That means: new stove, new dishwasher, new floor, new fridge, a built-in microwave and the best thing of all, new kitchen cabinets.

Be sure to ask the workers to line under the sink with the new flooring to protect the new cabinet. Really to make it easier to clean under but let them think it's to protect the cabinet, they are more likely to do it. I've done this for years and it sure makes a difference. I wonder why I didn't do that when we moved in here. I'll have to find something to use for under my kitchen and two BR sinks this week.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Aggy that is awesome!!!

As far as parting with Christmas, it's really hard for me too. I did part with a LOT of snowmen a couple years ago. I just put them out on freecycle and some guy came and got them and then sent me an email telling me how happy is young daughter was to see them. It made my heart happy.

A lot of my Christmas is sentimental to me...things I've picked up to remind me of somewhere we visited, etc. It's tough to thin those things especially since I write on most all of them - the year and where I got them and they all bring back memories.

Last edited:

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Aggy, So happy for you, that is so great!!

Christmas decluttering is REALLY hard for me. I've tended to get rid of other things to make room for Christmas, but now I am maxed out. I can't see me not buying anything new each Christmas, so some things are going to have to go. I did rearrange my tubs a bit different. I did keep some items by category, Kitchen stuff, gift boxes, lights, etc. but with my other decorations, they are put away more by favorites to least favorite. I did the same with my Christmas ornaments. Not ideal, but hopefully will be a little easier rotating some items to give away. I am also being very careful with buying anything new, but don't have alot of will power when it comes to Christmas things.

Appleton, you mentioned half your trunk is halmark ornaments, could you find another location for what is in the other half, then maybe put your houses in there to keep those christmas items together?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Aggy, great news on your kitchen and down sizing 2 tubs is awesome. Good job and enjoy that kitchen!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Be sure to ask the workers to line under the sink with the new flooring to protect the new cabinet. Really to make it easier to clean under but let them think it's to protect the cabinet, they are more likely to do it. I've done this for years and it sure makes a difference. I wonder why I didn't do that when we moved in here. I'll have to find something to use for under my kitchen and two BR sinks this week.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definately tell them.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I keep thinking about deluttering some Christmas things - I have 3 large boxes of it, and a tree (and a real tree lots of years), and a wreath from last year that I stored which was perfect to use again this year and hopefully I'll get a 3rd year from it before I need to strip it and put in new greenery (I had gotten it in a florist so gulped VERY loudly at the cost - but 2 years use means I am happy with the cost and I may even get a 3rd year as it was so well preserved in the cool attic away from any light). The big crib is still down in the storage unit, as it really is quite large to put out every year (I have about 3 other little ones that come out).

Oh, I also have some Christmas towels that I root out every year to use, and every year put them back into storage as I have forgotten to use them again...oops.

I'm lucky that I have the space in the attic sides to strore it all, but I want to do a better job of having what we definitely use every year in one box, with other things we might use where I can still find them and consider getting rid of - or at least sending to the storage unit - the things that we're unliekly to need in this house. But as we keep talking about buying or building a small holiday house where we grew up, I don't want to part with it all and then need things for a second tree there in a few years time. And DD will need things in years to come too (here or on her own place) so a few things to start her off would be nice.

As SparkleNanna always says - Baby Steps!!

I am making good progress on clearing out things in the kitchen, and the sitting room bookcases have to come next, so Christmas will be on the list later in the year.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know, I do the same thing with towels. But I did pull them out for Christmas day this year, but that's not much fun.