Decorating Baby Bibs

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
For a baby shower I was thinking getting baby bibs and having guests decorating them with fabric paint. The bibs I found are the terry cloth so my question is- would fabric paint work on them-?

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've never done this, Twinkle, so I don't know. It sounds like a really cute idea! I used to have my first graders decorate a t-shirt with fabric paints and puffy paint. Some of the paints in the bottles that they wrote with (sorry -- I don't know what it's called) would crack and come off of the stretchy material after repeated washings and wearings. This was 15 years ago, though, and paint formulas may have changed since then.
You might want to check and make sure that won't happen on the terrycloth bibs. I'd hate to think of a baby chewing or sucking on the bibs and having the paint break off/be swallowed. Maybe a smooth fabric instead of terry, and permanent fabric pens?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I did this quite recently on a T-shirt, with the puffy fabric paint and within a month or less, after repeated wearings and washings, the paint started peeling off. I don't think that would be the safest thing for a baby but I guess as long as you know the parents will be watching the baby like a hawk it would be okay. I think as long as you used something that would soak into the fabric it should be alright. Great idea!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I bought 2 bibs made for decorating and bought fabric markers instead of paint- 1 bib the adults will sign the other kids will sign- she could then use the bibs or keep them as keepsake

Thanks for your input