Dinosaur Dig Birthday Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
My DS will turn 5 in May. I am already planning his party and want to do a Dinosaur Dig for him and his friends. I'm thinking of taking a wading pool and filling it with sand and lots of dinosaur figures and bones. However, I need some more clever ideas for games, food and decor - BUT I want to keep it simple. We've been to so many parties lately and it seems the parents just go overboard. All the kids really want to do is play and they don't notice the decorations or the venue. I'd like to keep this somewhat on a budget so I hope that by planning ahead I can find some creative things for the party. Any ideas???

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
one cute thing would be to hide the things in the sand and have them 'dig' them out with paint brushes, kind of like an archaeological dig. another would be to have dino shaped sandwiches, pizza, and/or cookies. hth

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Okay, I am one of those parents that go WAY overboard...

My son's 7th Birthday in June was a Dinosaur Dig, I will give you all the info and hopefully something will help you.

Invitations~ I cut two eggs for each one, one green and one a natural color. I cut the natural one in a jagged, broken way through the middle and anchored it on one side with a metal brad so that the two peices split apart like a cracked egg to reveal the green egg inside. I hope that makes sense

One the outside I wrote... BREAKING NEWS and on the inside I put the party info and a clip-art dinosaur.

Decorations~ I used several shades of green and orange.

These vines are a really cool effect but I ran out of time to make enough of them...
http://www.coolest-kid-birthday-parties.com/dinosaur-party.html (scroll down to the picture of the dinosaurs and vines)

Mostly I used balloons ribbons and streamers but I made several signs... such as "Welcome to ______ Dinosaur party!" and "enter the jungle through dinosaur cave" Plus signs for each station.

Activities~ as the guests arrived they were directed to the RESEARCH STATION where they decorated lunch bags for their goodies (I was originally going to make paper mache dinosaur eggs for the goody bags but ran out of time). at this station I had all our dinosaur books, games and mazes out. PLUS a real chunk of fossilized dinosaur bones.

the next station was the DIG SITE (our sandbox) where they each got to dig up a fossilized dinosaur egg. We made these with coffee ground dough that we molded around small dinosaur toys and baked until hard.

They took their eggs to the HATCHING TENT which was a board covered with an old army style blanket. I had small hammers, safety glasses, dishpans of water, paintbrushes and paper towel. each guest got to put on the glasses and break open the eggs with a hammer and then wash their dinosaurs off using paintbrushes and paper towel.

Next was the CASTING STATION where they made an impression of their dinosaur along with leaves and little shells by pressing them into foil tart pans filled with clay

Most of the guests went through the stations 3-4 times!

Next we played a couple of GAMES~ such as musical dinosaur tracks and my favorite... the stegosaurus stomp where we tied balloons to the children's ankles and they had to stomp on each other's balloons without getting their own stomped.

TABLE DECOR~ I covered the table with a green cloth and used orange dishes and napkins. I had a silk ivy garland that I placed in the center of the table and then sprinkled the table with candy eggs and strips of curl ribbon

FOOD~ We served Dinosaur Calzones (homemade pizza pops with head, feet, tail, and spikes)/Dinosaur Hatchlings (chicken nuggets)/Stegosaurus Bony Plates (doritos)/Velociraptor Nests (baby carrots and dip)/ and Punch

After opening gifts we had cake and icecream...

THE CAKE~ I baked two 9X13 rectangular cakes and layered them. In one corner, I built up a Volcano using little cakes I baked in a small baking bowl and custard cup. I covered the whole thing with chocolate frosting and then oreo crumbs. then I decorated it with dinosaur figurines, red , orange and yellow lava and a blue lake.

I can't remember what all we put in the Goodie Bags but I know they took home several dinos and the castings that they made as well as candy eggs.

Anyway, I hope this helps...
Ramona and the Belly Bean

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
WOW! That's all I can say to Momof9! I am going to contact you again about how you made the eggs with the dinosaurs inside. Sounds like a wonderful party! I knew this board would be great inspiration.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
momof9 all I have to say is "WOW".

Also familyfun.com has a dinosaur theme party ideas. We used some for ds9's 4th birthday party.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
i know... i am a bit of a freak and at the risk of getting booted out of here...

I must confess, I think I like birthdays even more than Christmas! :happybd:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Got any ideas for a 13th birthday? But the trick is my brothers 30th birthday is two days after dd's and they have a combined birthday party.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oooo KimD, that's a tough one. Maybe you can do a dinosaur party anyway, and your brother, at 30, could be the 'dinosaur'. ;-) I'm sure he'd feel that way around a bunch of 13 year olds!! He'll love you for that one :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Momof9, do you do parties like that for all nine kids? Wow! Could you adopt me?

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
HolidayJoy :rotflol: the two of us that are already over 30 have been picking on him for the last few months along with my mom doing so. He is just glad that he doesn't have to have Barbie themed parties anymore. It has always been her choice of theme because her birthday is before his and well she is the first grandchild and well Uncle Dork does love his Geek (their nicknames for each other.) He always wants a racing theme but she say's no that's all we do is racing. We mainly do family parties. DD and her two best friends birthdays are weeks apart and for the past 3 years they hit the mall and a movie with one of the mothers of course. They already have that planned for the second week in March after all thier birthdays. My year was last year so its one of her friends mom's turn this year.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
I do PLAN parties like that for all nine kids but then some or the other of them end up skipped every year. THe kids don't mind at all but I hate it.

This year's themes:
Super Spy PArty (9 yo boy)
Paintball party (14 yo boy)
Polka dot themed party (13 yo girl)
Princess theme (11 yo girl)
Spa sleepover (17 yo girl)
Dora Carnival (4 yo girl)
Butterfly party (7 yo girl)
Mexican Fiesta (15 yo girl)

Those are the eight kidlets that are currently out side of my body. I do have a Birth-day party planned for #9 (sort of). I have a box in my closet with balloons, ribbons and streamers in both pink and blue and cupcake fixings and decorations. The kids get to decorate the house and make cupcakes and then decorate them while I am in labour.

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
momof9 -do you ever have any problems with your girls wanting a girly party but also wanting to invite a boy or two? My DD(8) always wants to have a girly party but has one really close friend that HAS to be invited-I always have a hard time planning the party to include him. Last year she wanted a makeover party. The girls had their hair and nails done and then we ended up going rollerskating because I wanted to do something not so girly to include the little boy. Everything went well but I feel like it was probably too much.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
When DS14 was very young, his best friends were the two little girls across the street. They'd throw a big girly part every year, and always invite him. Their Mom made sure he had a 'boy' goodie bag, and if it got too girlish for him, he'd just come home for a while! At their Barbie party, he brought a G. I. Joe, at their teddy bear party, he brought his stuffed alligator, etc. What good memories!

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I did a dinosaur party a few years back and ordered from oriental trading little eggs with dinosaurs in them. We did a egg hunt, they also had paper bags with dinasaurs on them to collect the eggs in.

Just a few ideas.....if I remember more I will post.

Kelly :bigsnow:

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
johnasmom said:
momof9 -do you ever have any problems with your girls wanting a girly party but also wanting to invite a boy or two? My DD(8) always wants to have a girly party but has one really close friend that HAS to be invited-I always have a hard time planning the party to include him. Last year she wanted a makeover party. The girls had their hair and nails done and then we ended up going rollerskating because I wanted to do something not so girly to include the little boy. Everything went well but I feel like it was probably too much.

I have never had that problem myself but I would probably just go with the theme and find a way to incorporate the one guy... For example for a makeover party I would probably have him be the paparrazzi.... give him a disposable camera and a press pass... LOL

What is the theme you are trying to fit him into this year?