Do You Decorate for Summer?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
While it's no secret that I'm not a big fan of summer, I do love sand, water, seash ells, etc. and usually try to do a bit of light summer decorating.

Do you change decor, bedding, pillows, etc. for summer? If so, what are some of your favorite things to do?

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't. However I've seen a lot of stuff recently that makes me want to. So I'll be watching the thread like a hawk for ideas. I like the idea of changing photographs or prints on a wall. I always wanted to replace my paintings with christmassy family/friend pictures for Christmas, but it could be extended.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't change any thing but would like to. I bought a cute banner like thing at Marshalls. It's red ric rak w/ old looking post cards on them w/ Uncle Sam, flag... and quotes. It's big enough to cut and hang on the mantle like a garland as well at on the stair raling. I would like some flag buntings for the porch now that we cleaned out the flower beds but we will see. The ralining is falling apart so we may end up w/ no railing by the end of the summer at this rate. I change my outside flags also but that's about it. maybe some seasonal kitchen towels

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just a few 4th of July items come mid june.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Some of my favorite things to do for sping and summer in the house are to change the curtians/drapes...I take down the heavier drapes and just use sheers. We live in the country so there is no need for privacy. I also have a brown/ grey theme in the family room and I change out the beige, rust and dark brown pillows on the couch and loveseat with auqa blue and white pillows. All heavy texturted/colored items are exchanged for lighter weight and colored items...lots of vases, picture frames and candles. My mantle is done in lots of crystal pieces and mirrors with white candles to pick up as much light as possible. BAthroom shower curtains and towels are also changed for lighter color ones. Dining room and kitchen are done in auqa and grey so there are lots of those colors in there also. I have a lot of aqua colored s**** dishes and platters which I use for decor in these rooms. Fresh flowers are usually around all over the place which instantly adds to a summery feel. Sometimes I get a new throw rug and that brightens things up, but mostly I use what I have accumulated to do this...I also change most of the pictures...I display tons of pictures of the family and have lots of the grandchildren at the beach...I make a little display with items I used three years ago for the reception I had for the oldest son's wedding in the Cayman Islands...it makes a great conversation piece...

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great thread, Kim!

I change out the curtains and throw pillows in my living room for brighter, lighter choices. Our couches are white (purchased BEFORE I had 2 boys!) so my summer look incorporates red, white and blue "sail" patterned pillows and throws. It really punches up the room a bit. We also decorate for the 4th of July because my oldest DS(4) demands it! LOL! he got the holiday-gene from me!

Other than that, I change the tablecloth in the kitchen to brighter colors and the same for the kitchen mats and towels. Our diningroom table generally has white tablecloths in the spring/summer since it is open onto the livingroom. That's about it. Oh, and I change the scented candle in my bathroom to a beachy scent! (that one is purely for me!)

Colleen

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I change my throw pillows, too. Darker silks and needlepoints are changed for light floral needlepoint. Also put a plant in the collection of blue-and-white on my mantel. I use fresh flowers quite a bit in the summer, too, and s****s on the sunporch. I also put a light-background patchwork quilt on the bed, replacing a darker blue coverlet. Not a lot, but it's a little change.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm not doing an awful lot this year since I'll be away for most of the summer.

However, I already changed the bedroom curtains and will be putting kon the lighter quilt over the weekend.

In the LR I have a summer cover for our futon that I won't use this year. Otherwise I'll put a summer flower garland on the mantle and add some bright throw pillows to the couch.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I like reading what everyone is doing. I have never changed out curtains or anything but I do go with a white coverlet on my bed and change the sheets over to pale blue and white. As for decor I often change out the items in my apothocary jars - sometimes they'll have sh ells, other times some rocks, other times some wooden balls that are red/white/blue with engraved stars. Sometimes I make moss covered things and throw those in there. I do the jars to get me through the summer to fall - that is when the real creativity starts!!

Thanks for sharing!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Decorating for the summer here is different because we have Christmas in the summer. But after I have taken down the christmas decorations I do a little bit of decorating. I change my quilt cover to a blue floral one, the bathroom towels and bathmats change and I don't use as many candles. I do like to see a difference between autumn/winter and spring/summer decorating.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Love reading these posts! Everything sounds really nice! We've just moved, so I'm not sure how much will get done seasonally this year. In our old house we actually put heavier curtains up to keep the heat of the sun down to a minimum, but tried to use lighter colors.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Oh, I do decorate for the summer. I put my americana stuff everywhere....right down to throws and pillows. Since we're moving in June/July I won't be doing much this year, but hope to get some of the outside stuff out on the new porch and such. I use fresh flowers a lot. I take the placemats off of the tables.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa your decorating sounds lovely. The new house will give you new opportunities with decorating.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
For summer...I put out all my Americana stuff....it works for me from Memorial Day to Fourth of July and then through Labor Day...when I start thinking about Autumn decor...and this reminds me that I need to take a look through my stuff and see what I have and if I want to add any decor...it has gotten a bit disorganized....SIGH....nothing stays organized around here...