Do You Thrift Shop?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
When you go Thrift Shopping -- there are no guarantees. You may wait a long time - without finding anything. But when you hit -- YOU MAY HIT BIG!!

Remember - in honor of the worldwide economic recession -- my favorite Thrift Shop has instituted "Half-Price Sundays". Every other Sunday.

Today was one of the good days!

My black wool coat is getting quite worn around the front hems. (Since I found it at this Thrift Shop two years ago -- it has had many years of good use.)

So - I started looking today. And - the first coat that I looked at was a 100% wool, black, boot length coat, in my size. Perfect fit. Label: Calvin Klein. Price $25 - but half price today. So -- $12.50.

Then - for the summer family wedding. Beautiful soft rich blue two piece silk top and skirt. Perfect fit. Skirt - beautiful, scalloped hem. Covered with hand beading and sequins in matching blue. (Looks like one of the full-page ads in today's NYTimes Style section. Price: $20. Half price so today: $10.

Next: Full length, long sleeve, rich black silk dress. Fully lined. Made in France. Slim - but extremely flattering fit. Totally covered in black beads in intricate patterns. I would guess that it was a $500 dress. Not all dresses fit all people. This one just happened to fit me. Price: $50. Half price today: $25.

Liz Clairborn purse. Soft moss green snakeskin print. $14.
Second Liz Clairborn black shoulder bag: $10

Long-sleeved black Gap 100% wool long sweater/tunic. $5. Half price: $2.50.

Paperback novels. Award winning writers. NYTimes Best-Seller Paperbacks. Regular price: 50 cents. Half-price day: 25 cents each. Got 8.

Remember: you MUST be patient - you won't find things on every trip. And for goodness sakes - take advantage of the half-price days. I think that MOST Goodwill stores have at least one half-price weekend day every month. (I don't live in near a Goodwill shop - but I do live near some bad Thrift Shops and one GREAT Thrift Shop.) I go to the great Thrift Shop on NON-half-price days. But usually - I just look. UNLESS there is something so fantastic that it is worth the full price!

Last edited:

Belles

Retire Member
Heavens Yes! It's like going on a treasure hunt, infact I went yesterday and purchased a truck load of small wooden tables, wooden crates, boxes and bookshelf all for 30.00. We are putting together a country store display at work to hold NC and gourmet speciality foods for gift baskets, and I found almost everything we need for displays.
~I also love to go to auctions.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love auctions, thrift stores and antique shops, but I just haven't been going lately because I am trying to declutter. This summer I will definitely be thrifting for new things for the house.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Oh and I wanted to add that you found some great deals sparklenana!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Wow! Sparklenana, you hit a bonanza!! Sounds fabulous...I am so happy for you!

I love to thrift shop and hit the flea markets too. I have a couple of favorites here and was very disappointed that one of my favs lost part of their building when the heavy wet snow made part of the roof cave in and the building will be condemned. I am wondering if they will be offering any bargains. They had lots of dishes and glassware the last time I was there, including some red transferware that I really, really want a couple of pieces of.

Most of the time when I thrift shop it's for decorating things or dishes...or things for the porches. I love the flea=market look for my back porch. I've never really looked for clothes, but think I'll start hitting GW and another thrift store here. Thanks for the heads up, Sparklenana. I think you need to be careful and patient, as you mentioned, and only bring home things that you really, really love and be true to your personal style, whether it's decorating or in your clothing. I'm more and more drawn to classic clothing styles...that never go out of fashion and work with each other like nobody's business!

I have it on my list to run into Goodwill this week and peek at what they have. Great thread!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good shopping Sparklenana.

I go to the goodwill store near work once in a while... mostly for books because the rest is so-so (it's a very poor section of town).

I'd love to go to garage sales in summer but never seem to be able to :( and there are no more auctions around here. There were some MANY years ago but no more.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love thrift stores. In fact, I wrote about it on my blog yesterday. You are right, the key is patience. Sometimes, it will be weeks before I find what I am looking for, but eventually, I do.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Patience is right... There is this one on our town next to me, 17 miles, and I go to it, at least 3-4 times a week.. I may not buy a single thing 2-3 times. But then again I may find one thing each time...lol lol But I am a thrift shopper... If it wasn't for resale, I wouldn't have gotten all my red, white, & blue items, the other day, all for 22.00....wooo hooooo...
great deals there sparklenana... and all others. And I pray u are gifted with gifts at thrift shops in the upcoming months.....God Bless,
DawnSu

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I do go. Sometimes more then others. And when you are on a diet, it is a necessary thing to shop at the thrift store. I use to spend alot of time there when my daughter was younger, but not so often now. However last month I went and found my daughter a great shrug to wear with her sleevless dresses.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I love thrift shops! I can remember as a little girl my Grandma taking me "bummin'" that was what she called hitting all the thrift stores and dime stores in the area. Then when I was a tween my Mom was the Manager of the Thrift shop on the military base in Heidelberg, Germany. I would go in a work with her pricing and marking down, pulling mark downs, rearranging things. I used to find big bargains.

I still love thrift stores and I wish I could go more often without kids because it is hard to really dig thru a store with 2 little ones!

I always look at dishes and pick up nice single ones-especially holiday ones- for when I give a food gift. Then I can just tell them the dish is a gift too. I did this a lot pre-kids but want to start it up again. I also always look for beautiful teacups and saucers.

Patience is a virtue when thrift shopping- I agree!

Great finds sparklenana!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
SparkleNana - What fantastic deals! You must have a good eye! We buy a lot of the boys jeans and shorts at thrift stores as they grow out of them so fast! And, they are not really picky (yet)!

I love thrift stores but rarely buy clothes for myself. I usually look at glassware or other things that can be transformed into something else. Right now my transformation pile is way too big so I've cut back for now.

Thanks for sharing with us! Enjoy all your new goodies.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
What a great! day you had.....To answer your question: You mean there are places to shop on a budget other than thrift stores??? :-] I'm looking forward to Spring/Summer so there are garage sales to shop, too. Here's wishing us all much good luck with our bargain searches!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I love thrift store shopping. I haven't gone in a while-- no "fun money" sitting around and they took the thrift store out of our town. :(

Since the took the thrift store out, I did a bit of garage saleing in the spring and early summer.

I love looking for antique dishes. My hubby is an amazing antique finder. I think we am have to try out the flea market this spring. Wonder what we will find....

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for reminding me about thrift shopping. I have not been shopping just for fun for a long time. There is a new thrift shop in our town that I need to check out. I usually look for jadite pieces, dishes, books, mainly cookbooks. Congratulations on your great find Sparkle Nana!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Our thrift store in town charges one dollar. Yep, one dollar for all you can take. One item or a cart load. It's all the same price. Every time I declutter my clothes or household goods I take it to them. I've found some really cute items there with the tags still on the item.

All during the year I visit pawn shops, thrift stores and used music media stores. When we travel, I look for new places to shop in advance. Sometimes I call ahead to pawn shops to make sure they sell used CDs/Lps. Some don't anymore. Of course I'm always on the lookout for Christmas CDs & LPs!

Anyway, here is what I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

April 9, 2011, The Great Escape in Nashville, Tennessee held a sidewalk sale. Of the eighty-seven CDs purchased at twenty-five cents each for a total of $23.75, the following were Christmas.

An Evening in December - various Christan artists

MACountry CD MACS Volume XX 1995 - promotional CD Christmas edition of various County artists

A Christmas Album - Michael Crawford

The Four Seasons Christmas Album - The Four Seasons

Rusty Diamonds Records Vol-4 - Bangin' 'Round The X-mas Tree - various artists (metal)

Christmas Cheer - The Boxmasters (Billy Bob Thornton's band.)

Elmo Saves Christmas Holiday Favorites

A Reader's Digest Christmas (on Warner Resound 1997)

Christmas - Tim Zimmerman & The King's Brass

Yule Struttin' A Blue Note Christmas - various artists (Oops!, I already had this one!)

Gospel Singing Caravan Christmas Card - various artists (Christian)

Christmas - Kirk Franklin & Family

The Spirit of Christmas Volume One - Various Artists

Warner Bros. Records Presents: A Christmas Tradition (Volume II) - various artists (Country)

Wrapper's Delight Volume 1 - (promotional CD?) from Jones Broadcasting. Inc - various artists (all genres)

How The Grich Stole Christmas - 1995 PolyGram Records remaster

A Rock 'N'Roll Christmas II - various artists

Cledus Navidad - Ckedus T. Judd

Impressions of Christmas - Jay Patten

40 Years: A Charlie Brown Christmas -various artists

Harry For The Holidays - Harry Connick, Jr.

Christmas With Perry Como

A Country Christmas with the Stars of Branson - various artists (Country)

Christmas Carols of the Young Messiah - various artists (Christian)

Happy Holidays Y'all - Robert Earl Keen promotional CD with two versions

All but three CDs are without packaging (just CDs in light plastic slips) but I'm not complaining!

In addition I picked up these (with complete packaging) down the street at McKay's Used Books ,CDs., Movies, & More.

Toys For Tots Special Exclusive Edition 25 All-Time Christmas Favorites - various artists (25 cents)

A Jazz Christmas, A Windham Hill Collection - various artists (95 cents). Like to have killed me to pay 95 cents when I had bought so many for a quarter or less, lol!

Handel's Messiah-A Soulful Celebration - various artists (19 cents)

Raffi's Christmas Album - Raffi - (25 cents)

Dillard's Country Christmas Collection 1999 - various artists (19 cents). Dillard's is a clothing store in the U.S.

Stars of Christmas Volume 3 - various artists (5 cents). Even though you and I probably have all of these tunes on other CDs, for a nickle, I couldn't resist!