Dollar store... more than $1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
... on the news last night, here in Quebec, they were saying that with the price of gas the Dollar stores will now start to sell at more than $1.... the real $1 stores are giving up!!!! :frown:

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MHH Member
Aug 16, 2008
Tennessee
mymerrychristmas.com
Yes,they showed something similar to that here one day last week. It said something like the price's were going up to 99.99 cent's or something like that. It was really silly. Got a bunch of people in there ,as they thought the price's were going to go high and wanted to buy up before it happened and it ended up only being a minor raise in price.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I was at my local Dollar Tree last night and everything is still $1. Thank goodness. I'd be lost without Dollar Tree and Dollar General!! Altho, I have noticed that prices have gone up at Dollar General with the rise in fuel prices.

:bigsnow:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
You know, the American dollar has a certain value. I just heard that it has "lost" 25% of its purchasing power since 2000. (That is why it is such a bargain for people from Europe to come to the USA to shop. Their dollars are worth more.)

Does anybody know what this one trillion dollar bailout of Wall Street will do to the value of the dollar? I don't know -- but I assume it will make the dollar worth a lot less. I mean - our government does not HAVE one trillion dollars lying around. So - aren't they just going to have to "print up" that money - and have future taxpayers pay it back? I don't know. But I sure love the Dollar Stores and I hope they - and Target - find a way to keep things at $1.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SparkleNana said:
You know, the American dollar has a certain value. I just heard that it has "lost" 25% of its purchasing power since 2000. (That is why it is such a bargain for people from Europe to come to the USA to shop. Their dollars are worth more.)

Does anybody know what this one trillion dollar bailout of Wall Street will do to the value of the dollar? I don't know -- but I assume it will make the dollar worth a lot less. I mean - our government does not HAVE one trillion dollars lying around. So - aren't they just going to have to "print up" that money - and have future taxpayers pay it back? I don't know. But I sure love the Dollar Stores and I hope they - and Target - find a way to keep things at $1.

Someone on CNN was asking the same question - would you end up with what the Germans ended up with after the war when their money wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. No one really answered the question though.

Also, Canadians used to have to pay such high exchange rate that we rarely ordered from the US. Now its often cheaper to buy from the states and pay to ship it to Canada than to buy it here because there is only a 4 cent difference in our money. I went to Florida 6 years or so ago and your dollar was worth about 25 cents more than ours at the time.