Easter - 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Will you celebrate Easter this year?

I want to do something nice for the 4 grandchildren. They live on opposite sides of the USA -- but will all be together a couple of weeks before Easter this year.

Last edited:

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
This will b my 1st Easter w/0 baskets, bunnies, eggs & ect... , since I am no longer a foster parent.. My kids r grown, 17, 18, & 20....I do like to make them up a little basket, that I use from year to year... And the do get a choc bunny...lol But I think I am going to attend the sunrise service & focus more in that direction this year... I would like to get another Easter pic done of the kids as we do that every year....lol

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We are having a small dinner at home with just us as we have no plans to host Easter. Dh wants a pecan pie so I am attempt at trying my hand at making a pecan pie. Will have pumpkin pie also as it is the only pie the kids will eat. We will take the kids out to visit grandparents early in the afternoon and then plan on spending the rest of the day relaxing at home with the kids and their new gifts. The Easter bunny does not bring a lot of candy, instead he/she brings other gifts (a toy, a book and maybe a dvd) for each child.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I will be spending the holiday with an older brother and his family in Phoenix, Az.

But- I plan on sending an Easter care package to my sister and her BF. And do something for my women co-workers.

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't do anything fancy or religious. We do baskets for the kids and they have to find them and we color and hide eggs and find them, but that's about it.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
Will be hosting a family dinner this year, have done so in years past but skipped last year, wasn't feeling it last year but this year am kind of excited! Have been cleaning house this whole winter, which we have had very little of. Will do eggs and baskets for the kids, even the two that are grown up will get goodies, not expensive but a little something.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm not sure this year. The boys will be with their mom and the Saturday before Easter is our big Easter thing at work so I'll probably be Easter'd out. Last year we took the kids to a Japanese Steak House! How terrible is that (even though they loved it!)?

DH and I will probably just go to church and then hang out together. That could be nice! I'll do something for dinner too. It's so hard for me to think about Easter Sunday when I have all those Easter Saturday activities to plan at work.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
We do celebrate Easter except my family refers to it as "Resurrection Sunday" .... it's our family's most important holiday. We are supposed to have school on the 2nd as an inclement weather make-up day, but as it is a holiday, I will probably pull my kids for religious reasons.

They will get baskets with goodies. We talk about Adam and Eve, Noah and his family and then Jesus death and resurrection... (The other 2 have to do with sin/death/forgiveness/eternal life...)

My parents will come to church... hopefully my hubby will be home. The first service will have a "Flowering of the Cross" We have a big 9 foot chicken wire cross.... each person gets a flower to put on the chicken wire... symbolizing laying your cares at the cross... then they raise it... it is beautiful! With over 2000 in the first service... there are lots of flowers.

Then, we will come to my house and have a traditional dinner (traditional to us... ham) and just enjoy our time of rest.... we will read the Resurrection story.

LL that sounds like a lovely way to spend Easter!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
We usually go to my Aunts on Easter Sunday,it's just basically a replay of Christmas dinner for us. For Easter Saturday I cook us a nice roast chicken dinner. This is the first year that the Easter Bunny won't be coming to my DD10 but we'll give her a small Easter Egg and a gift to go with it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Normally we do a dinner with my DH's family, but I told him I want to go out for a nice brunch after church. I haven't been out for a really fancy brunch in 10 year or more!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
SparkleNana - I don't know how old your grandchildren are, but you can put together small baskets that I'm sure they'll love. Growing up, we never got candy in our baskets...crayons, stickers, chalk, bubbles, silly putty, etc. As we got older, the contents changed...lip gloss, magazine, comic book, etc. I do this now with my own children and similar to stocking stuffers, I buy most year-round and from the clearance/dollar bins and they LOVE them.

We also put small gifts - stickers, temporary tattoos, matchbox cars, etc. in plastic eggs and let my BIL (I mean the Easter Bunny LOL) hide them in the yard. If your grandchildren are young, you can do this...just "assign" a different color egg to each child to avoid arguments!

DawnSu - our family tradition was always sunrise mass in the pine forest. Our church doesn't have that option here, but I used to love that early morning gathering and singing "in the trees" (even as a teenager!) Enjoy!

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I remember when I was 17 years old my parents thought I was too old for Easter stuff like a chocolate bunny or an Easter egg hunt. In truth my two brothers and myself wished that they still did. We still like hunting for the little chocolate eggs and wished we got a chocolate bunny...even a small one...we didn't care. Oh well. I get to give them to my kids.
Usually the VERY last minute is when we find out if Vic's sister is coming. But we will have the usual large turkey dinner with all the fixings after we come back from church.

Belles

Retire Member
I host Easter dinner for DH's family Easter Sunday. The highlight of our day are the games! We play all sorts of games after dinner, everyones favorite is the egg toss.
Most of us team up with the same partner every year. It's a regular raw egg relay toss, where you continue to move further away from each other until one by one each teams egg breaks until there is only one left.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I still do baskets for my husband and daughter. She looks forward to it. I just feel it with various spring items and often ****o Kitty or Marie from disney. Those are her favorites.

beachblonde

Retire Member
Dec 14, 2009
I will be celebrating Easter with my parents and children this year. We truly have a lot to be thankful for-I got out of an extremely bad relationship; I reconnected with my family that I was not allowed to have contact with; and we have found a church family to connect with. :D

In addition, we had a student who suddenly died at the school where I teach. It was due to a medical condition, but it was sudden and unexpected. The small group that I belong to in my church is providing the Easter meal and baskets for the family and the other 5 children. Just knowing that I am helping out such a wonderful family during a trying time makes me happy.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
BeachBlonde, that is so terrible! I'm glad you're helping out.

We have a lot going on starting tomorrow - Palm Sunday. DD9 will be serving her first Mass as an altar server and will also serve two weekday masses during Holy Week. Not exactly sure how we'll manage church for Easter. She will be serving the Easter Vigil Mass. For anyone not Catholic, that's a beautiful but VERY long mass. Obviously DH or I will attend that but it is too long and late for DD6 so one of us will have to attend a different Mass with her Easter Sunday.

We usually have small Easter baskets for the kids on Easter morning. This year we will be joining my in-laws for brunch at a nearby country club where FIL works. It sounds really nice. When we're done we'll probably drop in to see my Granny. She lives around the corner from us so it'll be no problem to go and see my family as well.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Easter is in one week. What a beautiful holiday. We will celebrate quietly. Hopefully, time in the garden. Perhaps a special meal. Perhaps just quiet thankfulness.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
All plans can change quickly!

I thought that dh and I had already HAD our Easter celebration -- and would just have a peaceful day - enjoying the beautiful spring weather! Quickly -- things are all up in the air again! Well..... that is life! And life is wonderful!