Entertaining in 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Do you have any plans for entertaining in 2010? Any "standing" parties, such as our annual Boo!Bash for Halloween or Easter brunch? Do you like impromptu get togethers or do you need to plan for a month in advance? Any formal entertaining in your picture?

This year we'll be hosting:
*monthly family breakfasts-beginning again in January-working around ball schedules is tough, but we'll figure something out-may go every other month rather than monthly...
*Easter brunch-Saturday before Easter
*possibly a Mother's Day brunch
*hoping to do a birthday party for DH in May
*kids' birthday parties in May, July and December
*Cinco De Mayo party in May
*Halloween party
*Thanksgiving
*Christmas Eve gathering

Nothing at my house is formal. It's all casual, buffet style due to space limitations. I'm excited about 2010 parties! And you???

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well....I'll try to post my list but it is subject to change....lol

January is a NO ENTERTAINING MONTH.....time to rest a bit...LOL

February we will host a Chinese New Years Eve party....this is a fun event

Easter will be hosted at our house.

Summer Bash 2010....in July....theme: Gypsy Caravan

Boo Bash for Halloween

Gratitude Brunch/Ornament Exchange in November

Christmas Party in December

Our yearly Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Breakfast

It's VERY likely there will be some other things hosted too....just not sure what or when yet...

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
We already have some parties/events scheduled for 2010

March/April - Birthday brunch with friends
April - Easter with Family
May - Mothers Day Weekend with my mum and my mother-in-law
July - barbecue in our garden with friends
August - baptism of our baby
October - Halloween
December - christmas

Furthermore we have some invitations for other parties (eg marriage) but for these I don't have to organize something :) and I haven't included any birthday parties of my family as they will be organized at short notice.

Chilli

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Well, I do know that we'll host a wedding in January! :0) And in December fiance is turning 40 so I'm going to throw him a surprise birthday party...somehow...since his birthday is on Christmas eve it's going to take some planning on my part but I'll be ready!

Right now I can't see beyond the wedding for other things (other than both boys birthday parties) so maybe in February I'll sit down and give it some serious thought.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I haven't really given it any thought. We're going to put the house on the market, so my entertaining will be non-existent for the most part. I'd like to host a game night before then. When we sell, I may just have a sold party. LOL

I'll definitely have Easter dinner if we're still here.

In June, we'll have a house warming party.
In July, we'll host at camp.

Plus the kids' birthdays.

Lisa

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I told DH last week to NOT let me host anything next year, as I did a LOT this year!

2009-
March MIL's 60th birthday party, Italian buffet, 26 attended
April SIL's baby shower, Queen of the Jungle theme, 20 attended
June surprise birthday party for DFriend, 10 attended
October going away party for DFriend and family, Mexican buffet, 34 attended
December DH's birthday dinner, Southern buffet, 16 attended

Not holiday gatherings, but TONS of work and money on my part. My only plans for 2010 are DH's secret 30th birthday party at (hopefully) Macaroni Grill. I don't have to cook or clean, just decorate the private room and pay for 20something guests. And it's a great excuse to buy a fancy dress!

All that said, I asked DH last week if he would like to host Easter lunch.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
MissBrittany....I know what you mean ...it is TONS of work and quite expensive too....but I have given up on family and friends hosting stuff....they just aren't the hosting types...not bad or cheap or anything like that...they just can't seem to pull together a party...they do host some things like barbeques and such but I LIKE to get together and have FUN....so I have just taken on the role...I've learned to simplify....like I alternate years when we have an actual meal on Christmas Eve with a year where we just have sandwich fixings and chips and appetizers....on the one I use real china...and on the other paper plates.

I hosted the early January Journey this year at the Holiday Inn and all my friends chipped in for the rooms and brought food items and drinks...it was a fun event...So consider it...we spent the night and went swimming and had a blast....I'd encourage giving it a try if you haven't ....no one has to clean house BEFORE and AFTER the party...

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I love hostessing and finding reasons to throw parties, and I don't even mind the $ part as I have figured out how to do MOST things nicely but inexpensively. It's the perfectionist/detailist in me that makes me not want to do as much. When I told DH not to let me host anything in 2010, I was on my knees straightening the bed skirt in the master bedroom 5 minutes before guests were due to arrive for his birthday dinner, and I still hadn't done my makeup, and from the stress I was physically shaking. The last 15 minutes before an event are what do me in. Of course, this party was the day after we returned from our 4 day Disney vacation, so I spent the whole day unpacking and washing clothes, etc etc etc and was just worn out. Bad timing, but his birthday was actually the 18th, so throwing his party on the 19th was a must, or it would have been lost in the Christmas/New Year's run.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I should add to all that, DH is INCREDIBLY helpful and reminds me to take it easy... I just don't have time to listen! :p

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not planning anything in advance for the next six months. DD turns 18 in early spring, but we had a huge 16th so I think it will be low key this time.

By fall I hope we're back to some sense of normalcy around here. I'd like to have my Christmas Open House. It's been lost in the shuffle of caring for my mom and family the last two years.

I like Ginger's Gratitude Brunch. I might have to borrow that idea.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
This year, I had my stepmom and brother over for a Mother's Day brunch. I'd like to do that again, I think, provided we aren't automatically roped into going to the lake with DH's family. (Mother's Day tends to be about every other mother and not me. The brunch in 2009 made it feel like it was partly my day because I got to stay home.)

I'd like to have people over for NYE next year. This week, I'm working at the World Juniors Hockey Tournament so I can't have friends over on NYE. We used to do that every year and it was really a chance to connect with our friends.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I like this thread thanks for starting it. This year these are the parties we will be planning for:

DGD birthday in Feb.
A big family reunion in June-any and all advice would be appreciated.
Party for sport teams we coach & help coach.

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
CathyMac --- Great thread! Let's see....... I have been thinking about the idea of having a Mardi Gras party. Mardi Gras comes in February.... when things are cold, dark and dreary here! Not much is going on then......

This would take advance planning...... Mardi Gras beads and masks are inexpensive if you order them in bulk from New Orleans..... but they cost fortune if you buy them retail in other parts of the country. Lots to think about.

I bought some treats at World Market's After-Christmas sale ---- things for a Ladies' Afternoon Tea (coffee and/or wine actually). I bought the little coffee-stirrers in peppermint rock-candy. And cookie with nuts and dark chocolate drizzled over them. I am waiting for inspiration to strike -- and for the house to reappear from under the clutter.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
We host all the family parties, with four kids and holidays that is alot of partying! Was thinking of a boo bash combo surprise 40th party for my sister and maybe a christmas open house haven't done one in a few years. We will see! I always have lots of ideas in January...

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Well, I'm not sure yet about the rest of the year but I'll be starting 2010 off with a bang with a "12th Night Party" on Saturday, Jan 2. (I know it's not officially the 12th Night but it's close enough.)

Our annual Christmas party on the 19th was cancelled by a huge snow storm so we postponed it til the Saturday after New Year's and I hadthe idea of making it a 12th Night/ End of Holidays kind of party. I'm even going to make a 12th Night Punch and cake (my spin on them anyway).

Coming as this is right at the end of the holidays, I've decided to make things a bit easy on myself and will be ordering food rather than making it.

Not sure about the rest of the year but I'll keep everyone posted.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
An hour ago, I got an email -- inviting us to celebrate New Years Eve at 4:30 with a home-made donut! I saw that the invitation was sent to a bunch of neighbors. Then - the phone rang. The hostess was telephoning the guests - since it was only about an hour and a half notice! (They make very tasty donuts - which everyone loves!)

I offered to bring ginger ale over for the table. the hostess said "I don't want to get into beverages. If they are thirsty, they can go home and get a drink!" I think it is brilliant to do a very quick, impromptu party -- with something that people really like to eat! (Hot, fresh donuts - who doesn't like them!)

The hostess said -- "we usually have people over during Christmas -- and now it's time to take the tree down -- and nobody has even seen our tree!"

I'll let you know how it goes. It sounds like fun to me. (The hostess also said - when turning down the ginger ale - "We have to be at another party at 5:30!)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Hmmmm......SparkleNana you are certainly going into it with the RIGHT frame of mind....I'd be thinking....what kind of entertaining is this.....I can't even have a drink that I bring myself....LOL.....and you have one hour to eat the blasted donut and GET OUT cause we're going elsewhere to party....SORRY.....the whole thing is making me laugh...Hope you have fun!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Well...... it was interesting, Gingerbug. Interesting..... but not really fun. Apparently.... the family was making donuts to bring to the 5:30 party --- and somehow ended up with a huge number of donuts..... and decided to invite people to have.... one. Actually.... only TWO people showed up. One was me. The other one was a woman who was picking up her son -- who was having a play-date with the boy in the house.

Everyone there decided that it was NOT a good way to have people over. (Donuts without some kind of drink are NOT good.) We all sat around a big kitchen table covered with donuts sitting on paper towels. Then, we left. (We did get a bag of donuts to take home.)

Belles

Retire Member
Jan ~ New Years Day Family Dinner DH family/Jan 3rd my family
Family breakfast 2nd Sunday each month
Feb ~ Valentine Tea Party and Super Bowl Party
Easter Dinner
July ~ 4th of July Party
Sept and November 3 big birthday parties
October ~ Great Pumpkin Day Party
November ~ Thanksgiving
December ~ Christmas (Don't know yet)

Randy and are the only ones of either side of our families that host family cookouts and dinners. We very seldom have friends over we too busy with family.

During the NFL football season I normally cook every Sunday for at least 6-8, that are here playing corn hole and watching the game.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Ok, Sparklenana, I'm rolling on the floor, picturing you and another lady sitting at a table, filled with donuts, with a mouth full, trying desparately to swallow that donut without benefit of a drink, not even your own ginger ale. I'm not so sure I'd be so kind! LOL-great attitude.