Fall Reading...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
From the first cool, crisp days and nights right through to Thanksgiving...Fall is a time of year that begs you to curl up with a good book!

What are some of your favorite books/stories to read during this time of year? Here are a few of mine:

Autumn from the Heart of the Home by Susan Branch

This is partly a cookbook, partly a party book, some craft ideas, all done in an art journal style and chock full of love poems and quotes! Makes a great gift for a good friend that also loves fall!

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Such a good book!!!!! Is anyone else a fan?

Beauty by Robin McKinley

Beauty and the Beast retelling, YA, my all time favorite BATB version!

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Another classic! This would I read more towards Halloween.

What is on your list? :cool:

• Love
Reactions: halimer and luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have a bunch of children's picture books that I read to my children when they were younger. I still bring them out in the fall and use them as decor pieces. Sometimes I do make time to page through them. They were such a part of my life for so long.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not so much fiction, but the Fall is when I tend to go thru my cookbooks looking for good crock pot recipes or soups, stews, and casseroles that I can adapt to a quantity that works for me. Last Fall, I came up with a list of soup recipes I wanted to try. Since I often get together with friends for winter "soup" dinners, it became my Wednesday Night Souper Supper. No guessing what's for dinner on Weds., just look at the chart for what's on the menu. A couple of weeks dupicated favorite soups from earlier weeks, but there was lots of variation throughout the winter, lots of comfort foods that were hearty and warm for the season. After Thanksgiving, though, my reading turns to Christmas-themed books.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
They were such a part of my life for so long.
I know how you feel!!! There are some of those picture books that I have had a hard time letting go of! The one I always think of is "Pumpkin Soup"

I held onto it for years after DS outgrew it. But I finally let it go to a sweet little boy of one of my husband's coworkers. It was time. :rolleyes: I still miss reading that with DS!

the Fall is when I tend to go thru my cookbooks looking for good crock pot recipes or soups, stews, and casseroles
Yes! I do this too! Fall = comfort food for me!

time to get my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks out and read those
I have SO many of those! Love them! I love the drawings and the little tidbits of crafts, the backstory of the recipes, etc.

For me Fall is when I tend to gravitate to gothic style historical novels - think of stories similar - loosely - to Jane Eyre.

Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, Dorothy Eden and Madeleine Brent are all great at the genre! I like the suspenseful, slightly spooky elements that typically run through these stories.

Barbara Michaels is also great at these - her books often take a decided swoop into paranormal territory but nothing ever crosses the line into true horror. At least not that I've come across.

I tend to be drawn more to mysteries in the Fall. Agatha Christie and Doyle of course. But for lighter reading I enjoy Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series or Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily mysteries.

Another author I turn to every year is Gladys Taber. She had such a way with words. Her books about her life on Stillmeadow Road in Connecticut are just dripping with character and the beauty of the natural world. She just writes about her life, her cats, dogs, family, food and neighbors. Any of her books plus a cup of tea and a cozy chair on a rainy day make me a very happy lady!

Fall rainy days just ache to be read in as far as I am concerned! :cool:

Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I know how you feel!!! There are some of those picture books that I have had a hard time letting go of! The one I always think of is "Pumpkin Soup"
Somehow I missed this book when my kids were younger. :( It looks very cute. It says there is a recipe for pumpkin soup in that book. I have to ask - did you try the recipe in the book?

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I'm looking forward to spending some long hours with Ken Follett's The Evening and the Morning. It's on my Kindle, so I put the Kindle in airplane mode so it won't disappear before I finish it.

I think he also has another book coming out which I have placed an advance hold on at the library.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm starting to think of lining up some slightly spooky reads as we approach October and Halloween season. This year I have a few contenders I've recently purchased secondhand...

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
Dracula by Bram Stoker (of course!)
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

Anyone else have things they turn to along those lines?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
  • Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have just ordered 7 or 8 books from the library. As the weather is warming up and it is too hot to do much else I will spend the afternoons reading. There are a few Christmas books on my list