Family Christmas Eve Eve Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Three or four years ago, I decided to start a new tradition for my family. We set aside the day before Christmas Eve (Christmas Eve Eve) and I throw them a special party. It's just for my immediate family and not outside guests.
The idea started one day when I was bustling around cleaning and preparing party foods for guests, and grouching at the kids to get out of the way or to stop sampling the foods. I became ashamed of myself for preparing to treat guests better than my own family, whom I had been treating as if they were an imposition. Why not throw them a party and make them the honored guests?
So Every Christmas Eve Eve, we buy really fun paper partyware (I want to honor my family, but I don't want to double my workload during a really busy season!) and I serve a dinner of fun, premade appetizers and fingerfoods. You know, the fun stuff we usually only buy or make for guests. We turn the houselights down, light candles and Christmas lights, drink sparkling cider and sing Christmas songs. Well, THAT's the Norman Rockwell version. In real life, there's some friction now and then between kids, but that's life, right?
DS14 even turned down a chance to go out with friends last year in order to stay home with us, so I know it's an important tradition to him.
This year, maybe I'll pass out journaling paper and have each family member record their thoughts/feelings or draw a picture to add to an ongoing Christmas journal.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
What a great and unique tradition. I always complain that we never really have time on the holidays just for our immediate family. What a great way to give our family this time since the rest of the holiday are sooooo busy. Thanks for the idea!!!!!!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
What a wonderful thing to do for your family!!

:snowman: Melanie

Holiday mama

MHH Member
Nov 14, 2007
What a great idea. I cook so much for other people (taking homemade treats to meetings and luncheons) and I tend not to cook things for my family that are as special or present them as nicely as I do for others. After reading your post yesterday I told my husband that the 4 days that I am off work before Christmas that we will get out the good china, we will use candles and spend special time together as a family. I may even let them open the game "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader" so that we can sit down and play it before the craziness of Christmas day.

Thank you for reminding me that this would all be meaningless without family and to show them how much I love them!

:slap:

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
What a wonderful new tradition! I know as a child one of the things that upset me most as a child was when mom was gone or locked in her room most of Dec 23 & 24th. This was the time that my siblings and I most wanted mom & she was busy.

I know now that she was shopping trying to make a better Christmas for us but even as kids we really wanted her time.

Maybe that's why even in years when I'm running behind and not getting things done I basically just stop everything come the 23rd. To me that time is for anyone that is around and wants to be with me.

Great tradition! :skate:

WideEyes

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love that idea! The 23rd is FIL birthday so I couldn't do it then but maybe I could find a good day to do something like that. Gives me something to think about on Rudolph Day

Rudolph day is the perfect time to make a favorite for each family member. You can highlight one member at a time and make their favorite holiday foods and everyone else can journal and read their favorite things/memories about that person!!!

You can also choose that month (maybe their birthday month) to highlight a favorite food that you have never made. So if DH loves beef stroganoff and you have never made it yourself, you can make it as an extra special surprise!!