Favorite foods we remember BUYING from years gone by.....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I thought I'd supplement the topic of foods our families made in years gone by with the topic of things we used to buy that are no longer available. Mine is Thomas' Date and Walnut Bread. I seem to remember it was a small loaf and came sliced with each slice with the cellophane paper around the edges and you found it in the freezer section. This memory is from the early 1970s.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Don't know if this qualifies but...

Starbucks had a chocolate drink that was like liquid chocolate. This was some time in the early 'aughts. Whenever I helped out at my son's store that was my reward:)

It is no more!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My mom makes a cheese ball that I love, usually at the holidays and it requires Old English and Rocha Bleu cheese in the little jars. Old English is still widely available, but I can't find Rocha Bleu anymore and it makes me very sad. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, maybe, or maybe they discontinued it. I will have to look for sure this year since we will be back on the mainland. That is one of my favorite parts of our holiday meal, pigging out on the cheese ball while waiting for all the delicious food. I used to make one at random times just because I had a craving.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My mom makes a cheese ball that I love, usually at the holidays and it requires Old English and Rocha Bleu cheese in the little jars. Old English is still widely available, but I can't find Rocha Bleu anymore and it makes me very sad. I'm sure it's out there somewhere, maybe, or maybe they discontinued it. I will have to look for sure this year since we will be back on the mainland. That is one of my favorite parts of our holiday meal, pigging out on the cheese ball while waiting for all the delicious food. I used to make one at random times just because I had a craving.
Is this it?
https://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Cheese-Spread-Roka-5-Ounce/dp/B005DDC60Q?dchild=1

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
For me, what I am missing now (and it MAY just be the store I regularly shop at, still need to do some investigating) is the Lewis brand 1/2 loaf breads and their 4-packs of bagels and English muffins. I loved their multigrain bread and the 1/2 loaf size and 1/2 packs of bagels and muffins was the perfect size for me (household of one). The guy who was restocking the bread aisle said "it's not available" but couldn't tell me anything more. So, I'm not sure if the store quit carrying it, or if the Lewis bakery quit making it. I only have the freezer in my side-by-side refrigerator, so space is an issue. Just hate having bread and baked goods go bad before I can finish the package. Oh, and I want my original Zingers back!!!! The new filling is just nasty!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Just ordered from Amaz.. two jars of Roka Blue to try the cheeseball recipe.
Our giant eagle here has the Roka blue and the old English starting close to thanksgiving. They don’t get a lot and you have to buy it right away because it flys off the shelf.
I can’t think of anything from my growing up. mom didn’t buy a lot of prepared foods. But my husband had a thing for Big Johns beans and fixin’s.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Yes, that is it Pamela! I will post the recipe if anyone wants it!

1 small cheese ball (to make a large or two smalls, just double)

1 8oz package cream cheese
1 jar Roka Blue cheese
1 jar Old English cheese
1/8 c dried onions
3/4 T worcestershire sauce

Soften cheese. Mix well. Add onions and worcestershire sauce. Shape in a ball, roll in pecans.

** We normally roll in sunflower seeds. Also, instead of dried onions, we use a pinch or two of onion soup mix. Makes a great gift on a plate with crackers.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
When DH and I very first married you could buy Golden Circle juice in a large tin. You had to use one of the triangle can openers to pierce the tin. We would buy one each shopping trip. There was a product here called Risa-Riso, basically a flavoured rice with rissini pasta. It was very cheap and went a long way. Great for supplementing a meal and making it go further.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I’m missing the caffeine free Coca Cola. They are now making it in diet but not regular. A recent deletion but sorely missed.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I miss blueberry "un"-frosted pop tarts!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did you ever have VESTA meals? They were like a TV dinner and had a wonderful rice and curry.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Walmart has them. They are my favorites.
What???? With NO frosting????? I haven't seen these anywhere in years. I'll look again!! Thanks.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I’m missing the caffeine free Coca Cola. They are now making it in diet but not regular. A recent deletion but sorely missed.
Well, that explains why I couldn't find it at the store. I also miss the Coke Life. It was made with sugar and stevia.

We had a grocery store that sold just the dehydrated marshmallows that you find in Lucky Charms. I used to buy it for Christmas gifts from Santa but the store closed down in January 2020. :(

Reactions: jampss and Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I used to buy it for Christmas gifts from Santa but the store closed down in January 2020. :(
I wonder if you could do these yourself with a food dehydrator?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well, that explains why I couldn't find it at the store. I also miss the Coke Life. It was made with sugar and stevia.

We had a grocery store that sold just the dehydrated marshmallows that you find in Lucky Charms. I used to buy it for Christmas gifts from Santa but the store closed down in January 2020. :(

The last few years during Christmas time there would be these pop up candy stores in the mall and they sold bags of those marshmallows.