February declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Okay, within days following my last post I was rushing DH to the ER for a 7 day stay with pleurisy, pneumonia and a shocking revelation that he has type 2diabetes. Day 17 today and for the first time he actually drove and walked around outdoors. I guess you'd say that not only was my house upside down but now our lives are upside down as well with this new lifestyle change.

Everything happens for a reason and not only did DH and I both quit smoking cigarettes but now I'm more determined than ever to get this nicotine film off of my walls and surfaces as well as the smell in everything. I did manage to deep clean my SUV headliner, seats, carpets and glass as well as changing out the cabin air filter and placed tins of ground coffee to absorb any lingering odors. I tackled my breakfast area, dining room and entrance using TSP to remove the nicotine from the ceilings and walls and steam cleaned the upholstery. I'm working on the master bedroom as well. I've rewarded myself with new window coverings, wall hangings, new bed linens and décor makeovers for each room. Now this makes decluttering very rewarding. Out with the old, cigarette smelling and worn and in with the new and fresh to welcome spring. LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
That's a huge declutter job on that nicotine!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great job everyone!
Ellen - I do hope your dh is feeling better. you are doing so great with your decluttering & cleaning with all that keeps happening around you!

I threw away 3 watches that weren't working (they are cheap walmart ones), and gave 2 brand new ones to dniece (from ebay... bracelets are too big for me with all these watches in the house you'd think I'd have one I can wear and that works but noooooo....

Nessy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2014
With my family
OLYMPICS! Some was good like the skeleton and snow Jumping, can't wait 'till figure skating comes on. I asked my SD; "How long does it last"? He said one more week. YIPEE! I will have to record it.

DD and LC made back of the chairs covers out of the squares. Boy do they look nice. I got some out of the people that didn't want their old jeans anymore, torn up and w/holes in them.

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
February Declutter

Today my husband and I went to the basement and started getting it back to normal-we are so far behind because of all this snow and no electric-I hope we can work some more on it tomorrow-have been working on paper clutter which is going pretty good-woman

:Rudolph:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since my brother came to our house yesterday - I sent 5 bags of declutter, that where waiting at the bottom of the closet, with him to bring to mom's house :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Starting to get more into a routine with travel, colds and mid-winter break behind us. I'm getting tired of the cold and we have nothing compared to what the rest of the US is dealing with. Having to drag my clutter bags through the cold, pouring rain to my car is very unmotivating though. Found out about a book-drop location though and maybe I'll do that in the coming days.

Ellen - So sorry to hear about your dh. Sounds like you have your hands full. Whats your plan with the diabetes? I walk a fine line on the diabetes 2 path and always have it in the back of my mind when I'm eating - it complicates sorting out my gluten issues. (Ex: Just because it is gluten free does not mean it will not jack my blood sugar).

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cleaned out the top of my wardrobe yesterday and got a small shopping bag of stuff out. I am really waiting for the weather to change so I can start room by room.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Hi all and thanks for the well wishes. DH is doing much better. He's actually taking responsibility for his diet and checking his glucose as required without me having to stand over him.

I was able to finally get in the laundry room and conquer mount laundry and declutter this room earlier in the week. I rearranged a few things and now it's much more functional and almost (did I mention I don't like doing laundry) a pleasure to be in.

Whew this de-nicotizing the house has turned into a lot of decluttering. Today we filled the back of DH's F350 to overflowing and made a trip to Goodwill. Yipee, I actually pinned DH down to make some decisions on a lot of his things that he no longer used or wore.

As soon as we returned I filled the back of my SUV with items belonging to others and spent the next 3 hours making personal deliveries. I now have space in my family room to clean and organize what actually belongs in there instead of working around everything else and everyone else's stuff. This goes back to the kids moving back in while their homes were being built and then them moving out and taking only what they wanted in their nice new homes and leaving the overflow and clutter here. Hmmmm, now they can deal with it.

If I don't love it then it can't live here with me! This included some inherited furniture from DH's mother who died 2 years ago. One item was her favorite chair which is in excellent working condition but the fabric is slightly yellowed against the blue fabric from her hair sprays in that one head resting spot and the whole design of the chair is definitely 1970's. Someone else will appreciate it but I've hated it since it was brought here. Other furniture had to be relocated but it's worked out fine.

I'm also sprucing things up with new drapes, paint and décor as I go. Hey, it's my reward for a job well done. LOL We inherited some china that matched nothing in my dining room but as fate would have it I found drapes with the exact matching pattern as the china and coordinating placemats, napkins and a topper for the drapes as well. It sure freshened up the whole room for a nice spring look. The breakfast area wall is getting a new chevron print added tomorrow to one wall to wake up this space in addition to a nice coordinating print for the chair cushions. In making an effort to incorporate some of MIL inherited pieces I kept a nice lazy susan and will give it a fun Mary Englebreit look to freshen it up and bring some fun to the breakfast table with matching colors to the wall and seat cushions. I'm excited and can't wait to get started.
Then it's back to finish up the family room and do some freshening up of the décor in that room as well.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Linen Pantry

Wow Ellen, you sure did move a lot of stuff out of your house. Great job.

I did declutter the linen pantry in Feb. Mainly it was just folding up linens that had gotten stuffed here and there. Putting up pillows into plastic to keep them from getting dusty on the top shelf. Finally now I can find items in there. I do need a box or basket to roll up hand towels that I have for different seasons.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
People are really moving stuff.

Ellen is redoing rooms --that is great.

I moved out a lot of paper from cleaning recipes this past week. Still doing. Think I will go thru some of the books (recipe) and either try to sell on the resale rummage in my county, library or Goodwill.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
dh wanted to give back a set of drawers to dnephew (turns out he doesn't want them), I'm happy to keep them as they are nice.. but they are full!
Got 6-7 photo frames (dollar store kinds) in a bag, as well as 2 books, 5 candle holders and I found 5 glasses that are now in the dishwasher and will be used up.
Got some books placed with the others so now there is a tablet that is emptied :)
Threw out alot of old recipes Saturday & Sunday too.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
February De-clutter Area

I know it's ... March ... but I did my February de-clutter area!

De-Clutter Areas
January – Homeschool Books
February – Craft Box of UFO’s

Yea me!

On to March ... :leprechaun2: