February Rudolph Day Movie Pick

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Happy Rudolph Day Everyone!!

This month’s movie is MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET

I chose this because it is one of my absolute favorites and I am in love with old classic Christmas movies. I love everything about this movie, from the beginning Thanksgiving Day Parade to the very end when Susan realizes that there IS a Santa Clause!

I only saw bits and pieces of this movie this past Christmas and it always gets me in the Christmas Spirit! I hope you all enjoy watching it with me!

DID YOU KNOW:

• Despite the fact that the film is set during Christmas, studio head Darryl F. Zanuck insisted that it be released in May because he argued that more people went to the movies during the summer. So the studio began scrambling to promote it while keeping the fact that it was a Christmas movie a secret.

• Maureen O'Hara was ultimately forced into her role against her will, as she had just returned to Ireland before being called back to America for the film. However, she immediately changed her sentiments upon reading the script.

• Natalie Wood was eight years old when she made this film.

• There are 21 mail bags carried into the courtroom at the end of Kris's hearing.

• The scenes of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade are of the actual parade held in 1946. As such, careful preparation was necessary for the shots as retakes were obviously out of the question. 20th Century-Fox had cameras positioned along the parade route at the starting line at 77th Street, on Central Park West, on the 3rd floor of an apartment building at 253 West 58th Street, in Herald Square and on 34th Street at 7th Avenue.

• Unbeknownst to most parade watchers, Edmund Gwenn played Santa Claus in the actual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade held November 28, 1946. He fulfilled the duties of most parade Santas, including addressing the crowd from the marquee of Macy's after the parade was over.

• The scenes at Macy's were shot on location at the main New York store on 34th Street itself.

• In the untranslated dialogue with the Dutch girl, Santa Claus asks the child what she wants for Christmas the girl says she wants nothing, telling Santa she got her gift by being adopted by her new mother.

• 2006: Ranked #9 on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmaslvr.... what a wonderful gift you have given us! These "little-known facts"... about one of our most beloved movies..... are both fascinating AND heart-warming! You have really increased my enjoyment of this movie treasure! Thank you!

AND.... thinking of you, Christmaslvr.... in warm sunny CALIFORNIA(!).... I am thinking that you will be in..... A NEW HOME... for CHristmas 2012!!!! MUCH closer to your family... and your old friends!!!! So.... will some of YOUR "Rudy Day Activities"... include... packing an organizing for the move?

For me... packing (up junk to toss), and organizing will be a part... of MY February Rudy Day Activities! Since dh and I are in our 70's..... we keep our schedules flexible... to coordinate with the MUCH busier children and grandchildren.... during the holidays!!!! Of course.... being "flexible".... means that our own Christmas preparations.... should be done early.... so that we ARE ready... when something comes up! And so much CAN come up! Trips, school performances, church events, travel, parties.... even "the flu".... or other illnesses.... can happen!!!!!

Happy Rudolph Day... and.... Happy Rudolph Weekend!!!!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I love this movie. Thanks for choosing it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love to read about the facts of the movie! I bought this movie last year (the original one), but I also like the makeover one... which I might just buy one of these days :)

Good pick

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Great choice! I've never seen it so look forward to it!

Thanks for all the great trivia!

Annie

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
If I were to choose a Rudy Day movie it would be this movie. Love the original black and white version.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Great pick!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Great choice! I love old movies and all the trivia was so interesting-thanks for that!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
tfs i just bought this movie. ive never seen it so will be watching it today

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I'm so glad everyone seemed to like my movie pick! Funny thing...I didn't get to watch it on Rudolph Day! Good thing we have all month! I'm really looking forward to getting a jump start on Christmas this year!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Nancy - I love this movie, too! "Faith is believing in something even when common sense tells you not to!" I will try to watch it this weekend when the boys (including DH) are occupied! ;)

Love the movie facts!

Thank you!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Great choice!

The original wasn't in the video shop when I went there, so I got the more recent one. I'm going to watch that and then try to get the original when I go back.

Looking forward to seeing it - I have heard such great things about the original :)