Garden Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Last night the Enlisted Spouses Club here on Fort Riley, put together a Garden Party. It was great!

The tables were decorated with spring green and white tablecloths. There were 4 green clothed tables and 2 white. The centerpieces were big glass ball like vases with a few of the shiny crystals in the bottom. They also arranged some faux flowers and berries in each vase. On each table were two tealight candles in small glass holders. All the paperwork needed was set at each place. Upon arriving and signing in we each got to pick a plastic 4" pot. We would use these later.

The meeting started off with some routine announcements and then there was a guest speaker named Barbara. Her and her husband own a Horticultural Services business and sell flowers and plants, among other things. She talked about containers and flowers that are good for them. She brought several beautiful flowers and plants with her. She also talked about fertilizer and what combinations of plants look good together. And her #1 recommendation was to "Break the rules" when it comes to container planting. Put together what you like instead of what everyone says will go together. White plants are a good binder to bring together colors that normally wouldn't go well together. And blue flowers make other colors pop in the container.

After the speaker was finished, there were door prizes. I won one of the "grand prizes". Exciting since I never win anything.

There was delicious but simple food arranged in the little kitchen of the meeting place. Someone made a fruit salad type dish that had loads of fresh fruit all mixed together. It was eye catching and the strawberries were very good. Next was a platter of little pieces of toasted bread and some flat crackers for the yummy dip. It was like an onion/beef dip but it had a little shredded chicken in it. Delish! There were fresh rolls cut in half and slices of thick cut ham (not deli ham) to make a sandwich with. Beautifully decorated cupcakes for dessert.

Once everyone had eaten, we were invited to pick a plant or two to take home with us. The pot I mentioned before was so we could plant our new addition. They even had soil in a big tub in the kitchen. I preferred to just bring my plants home and i'll plant them here. I snagged a beautiful plant with delicate white flowers. It's called Breathless White Euphorbia. I also grabbed a Vinca Vine.

As for childcare for this event, they managed to get teenagers to volunteer to babysit. Each child was given a name tag with certain color dots depending on their age. The teenagers each had a name tag with the same colored dots so they would know which kids they were responsible for. This system worked well and the kids all had fun. They were served a snack and juice as well.

It was truly a great evening!

Next month is a Luau party.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
What a fun evening, Jessica! Congrats on winnng one of the door prizes. I really liked the color coded babysittng. What a great idea. Did they feed the kids as well? Thanks for sharng all the details!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That sounds like a great party! Thanks for sharing!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Sounds like alot of fun Jessica. Congrats on your prize. The food sounded absolutely yummy. And what a great way to match the kids with their sitters. Someone did a excellent job...

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Kim- they had goldfish crackers and Capri Suns for the younger kids and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the older ones.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks so much for sharing!!!! I help at church and am always looking for new ideas for our get togethers and the decor.