Getting used to spending less this year

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well, I keep stretching the ole dollar .... actually, I went to the Dollar Tree and found some great items for the stocking, sugar free hard candies for the grandparents, horse wall calendar for DD, CARS items for DS, car/tools thingies for my dad, lotions and bath gels, socks for DH ... etc. Lots! Even Christmas card packs for 2011!

Otherwise, we have a Christmas Wish List with our homeschool families. Families post what they "wish" for, and other families who want to pass down items to others may do so! I just post this in our newsletter every so many days. It is wonderful how needs are being met. Amen. It was an idea of a mom last year. So, this is our 2nd year of doing it.

We also, last year, took over a room in a nearby church and everyone brought their unwanted items. Then it was like a FREE garage sale. Everyone could come take home other "treasures" for Christmas. We asked that items be "gently used".

:santa:

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
We, too, are scaling things down this year because of necessity.

All our kiddos are grown with familes of their own. We have 10 grandchildren and 1 gr-grandson. So THEY are the ones I mainly am going to concentrate on. I plan to buy them one outfit (2 if I can afford it) and a decent toy (abt 30-40 dollars) I have been watching the sales and only buying if it has a really good price. So far I have maybe 25% of my gifts purchased.

My kids understand things are tight and so don't expect anything this year. Dh and I wont exchange gifts this year either.

I am still doing stockings for all but they will only contain cheap stuff.

It takes some thinking and watching but I am pretty happy with my purchases (and prices) so far. We usually spend around $2500. This year will be under $800.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I found this thread... and it has wonderful thoughts and ideas! This weekend is our March Rudy Day Weekend! So..... "Christmassy thoughts have been creeping into my mind......"

AND... as I have posted on other threads.... dh and I are "revamping" our finances.... and thus.... also "revamping" our life style. I was doing some.... major "financial inventory" work.... and the rising cost of living... is pretty staggering!

Preparing for Christmas 2012.... is going to involve.... LOTS of thoughtful "financial work". NOT to cover actual "Christmas expenses". But to cover all the other (escalating) costs of "winter life". So that... Christmas.... can be... financially peaceful!

What do you think?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I, too, have already started thinking about what we will do for Christmas this year. Last year, I did one really major gift for each child (including grown DS and DDIL). I want to scale back from what we did last year.

I've thought maybe 2 small gifts and then give cash in the stockings. My kids are so last minute with deciding what major gift they want. If they get cash, they can buy what they want, but it seems so impersonal to me. I really like the "hunt" on Black Friday and for the perfect gift....I know, I'm a gluton for punishment like that! But for me it's the kick-off to the Christmas season in earnest.

That being said, we have a Christmas Club account started and are saving our change. Plus, I am putting small amounts on a Wal-Mart gift card to use to buy baking things and all those other last minute pick-ups at Christmas. It already has almost $60 on it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Great job with the savings so far missjane.
I have been finding alot of great clearance deals .. had to pass on some because I did not want to buy the stuff with knowing who it going to. I didnt pass on all though.. did score alot of small items for stocking stuffers or items that can be paired together and a couple of gifts. Eveything was at least 75% OFF or greater so saved alot of $$ there so far.

We didnt open a Christmas club this year but I do have some money put aside. Maybe I will take that to the bank and open a christmas club this weekend. Better late then never.

I am another one who is a big shopper on Black Friday! Kids are getting older and my duaghter is phazing out of the toys stage and more into the expensive electronics stuff.

One thing I decided to do last minute last Christmas that I will be doing again this year is cutting back on my baking and the goodies that we pass out for Christmas. My dad and his wife will still get their basket of baked goodies but everyone else will either have to enjoy the goodies while visiting our home at Christmas or they will go with out. It was more enjoyable plus it was cheaper on the wallet.

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What a good reminder, missjane!!! I have completely forgotten about putting money on a Wal-Mart gift card... for Christmas 2012! I must do that! AND... I had a $350 check... that I was going to use to open our Christmas 2012 savings account! Some "emergencies" came up..... and I made dh PROMISE.... that we WOULD "repay that money".... and open the Christmas savings account! And... we didn't do it!!!! So.... TWO GOALS.

This thread can help me remember those two goals. And keep things "on track" for Christmas 2012!!!!

Missjane.... kids "needs" and "wants" really do change... from year to year! One gift that my dh really enjoys.... is a gift card from Amazon.... from our oldest son! It is convenient for ordering books and things.

Minta... I think that cutting down on the baking is a good idea. EVERYONE loves baked goods! But.... everyone is also watching their weight!!! They can enjoy your baking when they visit your house... during Christmas 2012!

Missjane.... I think that you can still enjoy Black Friday.... even if you don't buy A LOT of items on that day. Black Friday IS the "kickoff" to the rest-of-the-world's-Christmas-season.... and we should absolutely enjoy any part of Christmas.... that is fun for US! After all.... we do "bring the magic" to a lot of peoples' Christmases!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have started my crafting (slowly). I am planning on making presents for more people this year than last, and as my siblings, and my Dad's siblings have now adopted KK approaches (us "kids" have sorta shamed the "grown ups" into it - the kids range 27-37, and grownups from 48-63!!), that does make it easier.

SIL will need house stuff this year. BIL will be getting a foodie hamper. I have books for his kids already (bought last month in 70% off section), and I am knitting a hat for 1, will work on something handmade for the other 2 as well.

I got books for my other DNiece and DNephew in that sell off too. I'll probably make something to go with that as well.

Then that just leaves DD, DH and both of our sets of parents. And possibly my 2 granmothers. I won't be going overboard on any of them - parents may both get foodie hampers or handmade items. I know my mum loved the "winter car emergency kit" that I put together for her last winter (bad weather items, general car emergency stuff, and things like socks and choc bars too as she's diabetic).

Oh, and I started making my cards last week, so that I won't have to buy any this year.

But this year, far more so than other years, I am noticing how my paycheck does NOT stretch like it used to and my savings are not building up at all again. So this thread is a VERY timely reminder!

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
I'm on maternity leave this year so my salary has reduced to more than half of what is was. We wil really need to cut back but it will be worth it to be able to be at home with DS until he is one year old.

I've joined a Christmas savings club with my sister as we do joint gift for our parents and grand parents and have started putting money on a card for our local grocery store. We have 12 people for Christmas dinner so this should help cover most of the costs.

Just keeping looking for any special offers throughout the year to help spread the costs

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One thing I decided to do last minute last Christmas that I will be doing again this year is cutting back on my baking and the goodies that we pass out for Christmas. My dad and his wife will still get their basket of baked goodies but everyone else will either have to enjoy the goodies while visiting our home at Christmas or they will go with out. It was more enjoyable plus it was cheaper on the wallet.

I love this idea Minta of sharing the goodies at your home.

What a good reminder, missjane!!! I have completely forgotten about putting money on a Wal-Mart gift card... for Christmas 2012! I must do that! AND... I had a $350 check... that I was going to use to open our Christmas 2012 savings account! Some "emergencies" came up..... and I made dh PROMISE.... that we WOULD "repay that money".... and open the Christmas savings account! And... we didn't do it!!!! So.... TWO GOALS.

I keep forgetting the WalMart card too. And I live within sight of Walmart. Paying back a savings withdrawal is so very hard but doable.

Then that just leaves DD, DH and both of our sets of parents. And possibly my 2 granmothers. I won't be going overboard on any of them
I think the key word Wings is "overboard". I tend to do this and I need to stop. tfs

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm on maternity leave this year so my salary has reduced to more than half of what is was. We wil really need to cut back but it will be worth it to be able to be at home with DS until he is one year old.

Isn't it amazing how a cut in salary can show you how to be fugual? You are doing so well with this.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It has been very very helpful..... for me..... to think about "year-round financial needs".... in terms of.... trying to arrange things.... so that the Christmas season.... can be more peaceful and more joyful! Thinking all year... about how the "necessary" expenses can be paid.... and STILL have a peaceful, loving Christmas season. NOT.... just putting off.... paying bills.... so that money is available for Christmas. Instead.... working throughout the year..... so that money IS available for the Christmas season.

I think that it helps me.... to make more meaningful financial decisions... all year. Spending $100 for something great.... is not THAT much money. Except.... it IS "that much money".... if it means that there is NOT enough money for the electric bill next month.

Thinking about such things all year..... NOT "panicking" about them.... makes life much more peaceful.

Thinking about the Christmas season all year.... helps me to make.... meaningful choices. That is good!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have been trying very hard to make a budget each month that includes everything I can think of that I know is planned for that month, but out of the ordinary - like this trip that DD15 and I are on with the school - so I have fewer unforeseen (or actually thought about or remembered) things.
December to January is always very stretched because DH and I get paid around the middle of December and don't get another paycheck until January 25th making it be almost 6 weeks without a check - at the most expensive time of year. I always say we won't start using our money until the 25th of December, but that never happens. So, I am trying to put extra back to help cover those extra two weeks.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Very very good idea, missjane! And, also, very very difficult to do! I am with you.... trying to do it, too!!!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Not really sure this "fits" here, but since it would help us spend less during the year and we could add our savings to our Christmas stockpile of saving...

I found a website this morning that is one of the best I have come across about coupons. www.couponsdealsandmore.com. Check it out if you have time. It also has rebate links for things most of us buy anyway. Hope you like it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
missjane - you took the "words" right out of my mouth! :) A big part of my efforts to ensure a frugal but fun Christmas this year involves learning about and using sites like the one you posted!

I coupon anyway for groceries, cleaning products and personal care items and along the way I'll find the odd deal on a toy or a game that I either put away for when DS is old enough or it goes in the Toys for Tots area of the gift closet.

There is a deal at Target this week that I am going to try and squeeze into my TFT budget actually - you can print a $2 coupon off the Target website for a Cabbage Patch cuties doll - I think the final price is around $5 plus tax - not too bad - not stupendous - but not too bad.

We still want to keep up with our giving this season - it is just about making the money go farther - as we all know. :)

There is a great new site I recently found called Money Saving Mom that is really nice at pulling together all sorts of deals - not just grocery coupons. I've started signing up for some of the free product samples. Some I'll give a try right away and some will probably end up being stocking stuffers - you never know! :)

I think that our family has been slowly downsizing $ spent for Christmas every year for a while. DH and I are both on board with really changing the focus this year to time spent with family/friends, more homemade gifts, gifts of time, etc.

It is a real journey, though, that is for sure!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aunt Jamelle... right on, sister! It IS a journey! AND... IT REALLY HELPS OUR MAGICAL HOLIDAY HOME FAMILY... THAT WE ARE ON THIS JOURNEY..... ALL YEAR LONG! (All caps again..... oh well.)

Our extended family.... is ALSO cutting back on gifts..... (except for the children)..... and it has been met with UNIVERSAL relief! It is just too difficult to try to find "the right gift".... and know that... even though it IS "so right".... that the person hasn't bought it for themself, etc. etc. PLUS... we are all trying to "simplify our lives".

HOWEVER... there ARE lots of extra expenses... during our Favorite Time Of Year! AND... worries about money issues.... are NOT good... for the spirit of peace.... that we really want!

Buying spcial gifts, at bargain prices, for Toys For Tots.... that does increase our Christmas joy.... without crashing our finances!

I, too, am building "careful spending all year".... into my year-round Christmas planning/enjoyment/preparation!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I haven't got a budget written down just yet, as my Christmas budget will depend on our tax return. That comes through between July and October (depending on when we actually submit the paperwork. What I will be writing down is a list of expenses (presents, food, cards etc) and noting how much was spent in the previous year so I have a idea of how much to allocate. I can also find ways to trim down when I do that.

Last year was the first year since having children that we didn't use ANY credit cards for ANY christmas expenses. It felt great to have the cash available, and allocated. It also helped to get as much as possible on layby in the mid year sales so when the tax return comes through I can just pay them off.

I have always found that it's the little things which cause budget problems. For example, baking supplies and postage stamps. It is so easy to forget about these things.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have always found that it's the little things which cause budget problems. For example, baking supplies and postage stamps. It is so easy to forget about these things.

Alot of stores will start having great sales on baking items (especially sugar, baking soda and powder) around Oct and there are always coupons available at the same time to make the savings even better. I always start stocking up on these items around Spet/Oct so when the holiday baking comes around I usually dont have much more to buy in terms of baking supplies.

I like the idea that few others have mentioned about buying a store gift card and adding a little $ to it when ever possible. I think I will do that for the grocery store starting this spring so when the holidays do roll around I have will have extra money to help off set the higher grocery budget.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am not sure if we will exchange with DH's siblings this year, it is something we will need to discuss very soon. Last year we didnt exchange but we did give them home made jams and applebutter. Have not heard any feed back from them so I am not sure if they enjoyed them or even opened them yet. So this year I am debating if we will give them anything at all. We will still buy for nieces which we already got them half done.
I only have step sibilings that I barely see or talk too since they do not live near me so they are not an issue. At most we exchange Christmas cards.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Agree!

Yes, these are my forgetful items, too!!