Gift Boxes?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Where do you buy your gift boxes at great prices? Do you get the plain ones or the preprinted ones? After Christmas I've found preprinted ones on clearance, but need some different sizes & some plain ones for birthday & other presents.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Appleton,
We have a Paper Factory near us in an Outlet Mall. They sell all types of plain white gift boxes year 'round. Check them out if you have one near you.

What is good about the preprinted ones is that less wrapping paper and can be recycled every year from person to person. That is also why I love gift bags!!!! And now with the whole "go green" becoming popular it is the best way to go!!!

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
Remember to stop in at the service counters at stores like Sears and pick up your free white boxes. I try to remember to do this whenever I can even if the item isn't a gift so I'll have it for non-Christmas gift giving.

As for purchasing different white boxes, watch places like grocery & hardware stores they bring in boxes for the holiday season (even white ones) and then deep discount them to deplete their inventory. Now depending on how badly I need them I will sometimes start looking at my local Menards, Home Depot, & Lowes now since they will start discounting them and I need to use them now. They will sometimes have them all gone by Christmas Day so you just never know.

Good luck! BTW, the party supply stores are great for really different size boxes. :package:

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks for the help! I hadn't thought to check out Paper Factory when I was shopping at the Outlet Stores! Should check Lowes & the grocery store to see if they're discounting them already... hadn't thought of either place. Need to remember to ask for boxes all year when I shop at the stores that offer them since the free box line gets really long this time of year.

Looks like my after Christmas shopping list will include boxes & bags! :package:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I bought a big package of colored boxes at Wal-Mart-10 boxes for $3.00. I have to admit, though, that I like my gifts to be color coordinated according to recipient, so I wrapped them!

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I buy very few boxes. I save the boxes from year to year, unless they are in bad shape. I just flatten them, and store them away. I have a large stockpile of boxes in various sizes. I also try to remember to ask for gift boxes when I purchase items. I do the same things with gift bags, so I have a stash of those. I used to save tissue paper too and flatten it and reuse it. But I've mostly given up on that.

Unfortunately, the printed boxes don't save me any time because, like Cathymac, I wrap them anyway.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I get them from my moms stash. She has a huge box of them that have been used for many years. Plus she always remembers to get boxes from the stores she buys from even if there not gifts.

I don't think I have ever had to buy a box for anything.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
I was shopping at my local mall today and the jcpenneys were giving gift boxes out at their customer service desk. i have also gotten them from dollar stores. tyically they are 2 boxes, around the size for a shirt, for 2.00. but if you are looking for bigger ones i haven't seen them.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
In April I start asking for boxes for anything I buy, even if its not a gift. This way, the stores have replenished their supplies of boxes and you can stock pile them.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I also save gift boxes from year to year. We have a huge box of the ones in good shape in the attic. I also always ask for a gift box when shopping, even if it isn't a gift. You can never have too many! :package: I also save gift bags. Tissue paper is thrown out though.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I bought 3 packs of the pre-printed boxes at Family Dollar last Sunday (12/29) at 50% off. Got 7 boxes for $2.25 to help restock my supply. Also plan to ask for boxes throughout the year as others have mentioned to avoid running out. Thanks for the reminder... I've thought of at least 6 times I forget to ask during November/December. I get in those crowds & can't think straight!

My WalMart has a TON of boxes (white and preprinted) on clearance for 75% off. Since there are sooo much still I am going to wait another week to see if they go lower. If they sell, no big deal but if they go lower I should be ready to bring them in the house!!!

Still on the whole clean up the clutter rehab....lol

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I try to save all types and sizes of boxes (DH has a fit!). I especially like shoe boxes. It's kind of funny, though, when someone opens a gift and wonders if they wanted a hair dryer and find that there's something else inside the box. :haha:

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
DJ that reminds me of what my father did to my mom this year. We were opening gifts christmas morning and she was trying to figure out how she ended up with my brothers sneaker's from the night before and the tag said to mom from dad in his writing. She opened it to find 300 sugar packets and $300 in ones.