Gift Shopping Burn Out

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Let me start by saying how much I love the Christmas season before anyone gets the wrong idea. However, I struggle w/gift shopping year after year. I have no clue what to get most on my list.

I've tried shopping year around or at least make notes of possible gifts. I usually get off to a wonderful start w/the after Christmas sales, but by March I'm struggling. Then w/all the birthdays & other gift giving through out the year, it's difficult to find that magical Christmas present.

I've finally started asking for lists. Most will tell me a few items & I'll try to purchase those. Sometimes even w/a list its can be impossible. I try to put a lot of thought into each gift, but end up w/so many shop for at the last minute.

Please share any thoughts or tips you use to get your gift shopping done.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
There really isn't a perfect way to get gifts for others. I like asking for their gift suggestions. I started doing this a few years ago and it seems to work out great. Now a-days a Gift Card works very well. The perfect gift search doesn't always turn out received as expected sometimes.

I've started giving my gift suggestion list to people when they ask. I'd rather have something I really want then what their idea of the perfect gift to me. I over heard DH telling the guys on Thanksgiving that I was going to go crazy when I saw his gift for me. I'm thinking I might need some nice thank you words practiced in-case it's one of those gifts that I do not want in a 1000 years. He's kind of known for picking out things no one really wants. lol

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I usually find it difficult to purchase for my family too. If I am clueless, I will come up with a theme for the season. One year everyone got a new pillow, pajamas and a book. We have been doing three gifts (for the three gifts Jesus received). Hope this helps get the ideas flowing.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I keep a small notebook in my purse. When I hear someone talking about what the want, I "try" to write it down (not always successful with that! lol). I also ask what people would like to have and write it down, because I am horrible at remembering it. My children have learned this and now graciously give me lists! They even book mark websites on my computer with what they want.

As Deidra said, most people would rather get a gift they want than one they didn't want in a 1000 years. And I must say, my DH must be kin in some way to hers because I've gotten some really horrible gifts over the years, too. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything I want that's affordable this year. I really want a Cricut, but they're so expensive not to mention all the "accessories" you have to have to go with them.

I used to try and shop throughout the year, but that doesn't really work for me somehow. What seemed like the perfect gift to me, at the time, often doesn't by Christmas. And since everyone by Christmas is telling me things they really want...there I'm stuck with things they don't want, but can't take back because the return period has expired (this almost happened with me this year on something I got for DD19).

I've also done the way MissJoDee has. Nieces and nephews got flannel sleeping pants, socks, underwear, a long sleeved T-shirt. Sisters got kitchen stuff. Great nieces and nephews got a board game and a book. Teachers got ornaments and kitchen goodies. I've done all tools for the guys, giftcards for nail salon appointments for girls, iTunes cards for teens, etc.

Giftcards always work great for places people like to eat, magazine subscriptions, favorite websites to shop from.

I hope this helped. I don't feel like it did much, but just some ideas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the theme idea. I might try that next year.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I know what you mean - especially with the 8 nights of Hanukkah...

Sox are always good - try the mis-matched ones. Everyone needs sox.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm all about getting Christmas lists from those that are closest to me. If you tell them what you want too you you could be taking a load off their shoulders as well (only if asked though). Christmas lists in my house are due at Thanksgiving otherwise don't count on getting that special something. (And they are all LATE so I gave them a few more days). ;-) The kids said they don't know what they want yet because the tv ads haven't been running long enough for the holidays (eye-roll!). For the most part I already know what I'm getting them though because I too keep notes buried in my phone whenever I hear them mention something.

For my family I try to keep track that the basics are covered by me, the stocking or by someone else. So think if that person has the following items covered:

Something to play with (regardless the age)
Something to wear
Something to read
Something to eat
Something to craft (in my house)
Something to Sparkle (for DD)
Something to Snuggle
Something to say Yes to (when I always say no) -- like a big roll of quarters for the arcade game I always say no to when we pass by.
Something to ..... I don't know, there are several somethings. You get the idea.

Another thing I do is I make sure I get out shopping (for another family member) with the person I'm having trouble with. And do it early in the month (like this weekend) so they don't necessarily know what you are up to. See what catches their attention. This works really well with kids and my DD is using this exact strategy for her brother this weekend. She's dragging him with her to buy a birthday present for her friend and is making sure her brother is with her so they can "accidentally" go by the toy aisle.

Whatever you do, do not settle on something that you aren't sure they will like (one year a friend got me a teapot - I'm a coffee drinker - -LOL!). In that case go for the gift certificate from maybe Barnes & Noble, Amazon, theater tix (movie or play), restaurants, wine bars, ice cream shops, etc.

For second and third tier recipients, I will usually give the same gift to all -- either ornaments, or fudge or gift certificate or whatever. That way no one feels less loved.

And I do as much as I can online rather than tromping through malls with the crowds. Keeps me sane and focused.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
Unless it is something homemade by me, most of my giftees prefer a gift card to use in the after-Christmas sales.

I try to give teen nieces and nephews movie/lunch gcs because they go to movies and late lunches after a day of spending cash/gc at the local malls or big stores.

ODS/DDIL prefer a grocery gift card for Christmas the week before Christmas and large enough to get Christmas meals and goodies for New Years.

YDS prefers a gc to the local game place where he can buy video games at reduced prices after Christmas.

DMIL prefers gift cards to restaurants so that she can have a "go to lunch" day with DSIL when they go get their hair done.

DM prefers a gc to get her hair done and gcs to the bookstore to get audio books.

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
I know what you mean. I am not all that close with my in laws and we are all at an age where we have just about everything we want or need. Yet they insist that we exchange small gifts at Christmas when I would much rather get together and just celebrate the holiday.
My mother in law is no exception here. She has everything, in fact she has a 4 bedroom home and only her own bedroom can be slept in. The others are filled with stuff. She is definitely a borderline hoarder.

As far as other burn out problems I did buy all my great nieces and nephews a bed and bath theme this year. A couple pairs of pj's, bubble bath, and/or bath toys for all of them. It really made shopping for so many a lot easier.

My own adult children give me lists or ideas and when I am in doubt I just give them cash along with smaller gifts that I know they will like to open. The same goes for their spouses.

My grandchildren are still young and are always easy.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We don't buy for anyone but each other and our children. Being military and not living anywhere near our families, we don't really know any nieces or nephews on DH's side because we've only been around them a few times for very short periods and I don't have any. DH doesn't talk to his family much, his dad mostly but no one else.

I usually do food gifts for neighbor/friends, mostly just a tray of whatever cookies/candies i'm making that year. I do a batch of everything in early December to gift and then another batch of everything for us later.

This year I am going to have the kids make ornaments to send to the grandparents and that's it.

MerryMandy

Retire Member
Sep 17, 2012
That's a great idea for the grandparents! I do the same thing, gifts for my immediate family and then friends and neighbors I have known for a long time are going to get a special card. I found this site that allows you to make amazing customized cards and then they even mail them out for you. It's called Treat, I used them a couple times this year. I needed some creative birthday cards and this was definitely the place for that. I got so many compliments on them, I thought they would be a great idea for the holidays. Check them out!

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I appreciate the suggestions & ideas. It really helps. I’m making a few notes for next year too.

I have several on my list that I rarely see & a few I don't know well. May consider a small token gift & gift card for 1 or 2. I do have some that would prefer cash & its not my favorite gift (several already get cash on their birthdays).

I think another part of the problem this year is I have NO idea what I even want. Feels like I already have enough stuff. So, I'm trying to choose gifts that won't turn into clutter the week after Christmas. Gift cards are looking more like an option.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I do the same thing as MissJane. I keep a notebook and jot things down, then recopy later to a master list in my Christmas binder.

All the kids in our family are toddler age, so they don't really know what they want. I just shop the big clearance sales and book sales all year.

I'm always at a loss for DH though, and buying for him isn't fun at all because he's so particular.

JayOkie

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2007
NE Oklahoma
May I suggest trimming your list a bit? For those you rarely see &/or are casual friends. A nice card & a personalized note.

When my DIL asked what I wanted, I told her a repeat of last yrs gc. I streettcccheed that farther than anything they could've given me. Have strongly hinted to my mom for the same or cash. The cash she gave me last year (she cashed a lot of us) I used just recently when I finally gave in & replaced the washer. Knew it was going out so clung to her gift several months. That was a gift I've already used many times.

I've used the theme idea, too.....made 30 or so throw pillows one year with Christmas print. Everyone of them different (that was a challenge, but fun). fleece throws - again, all different, by shopping sales & starting about August. Gave bed pillows one year when I knew most (all?) of them needed new ones - again, sales! When the grands were younger, they all got sleeping bags! Used WM layaway (back in the day when you could start mid-summer)....should've seen the look I got when I retrieved them & left the store. Had 2 carts; think it was 8 or 10 bags! Tho those kids are grown, the bags are still being used in the family.

When the gr'grands started coming, I just started a small savings acct for them. Rarely see them, no idea what they need. Maybe by the time they start college (oldest is 7-1/2) there will be enough for 1 text book :)

How about family gifts? I've given canned goods I put up (pears, peaches, jellies, etc). How about a "game night" or "movie night"?

Hopefully all our ideas will help.....and we can all borrow from each other for another year.