Glass Popcorn Balls

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Got it now! I have never seen nor heard of this idea before!

Thanks for the link with the tips--- I probably would have committed each error that resulted in breakage had I not read that!
I am going to file this one away for when the kids are a little older and can do it with me!

TFS!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Very cute idea! I like the tip on the second site that suggested putting the ball in a brown paper bag...that sounds safer to me as far as taking it out of the microwave. We might give this a try this year. I just love those glass balls!

One year I bought those clear scrapbooking stickers that has Bible verses and Christian sayings on them in gold print and stuck them on the glass balls...very cute, but hard to read. It might be fun to embellish the popcorn filled balls with those or other stickers, too.

I like to spray them with spray adhesive and the then sprinkle with super fine clear glitter...they shimmer and glimmer in the lights of the tree..very sparkly!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I use the glass balls to put in flowers that I have dried from a funeral. I get a picture of the loved one and size it way down and put a few pictures into the ball with the dried flowers. Put a hanger on them and have an ornament. Last summer a very special family friend died and I did 16 for her 3 kids and 13 grandkids. In '05 when my g'pa, dad and g'ma died (all within 14 weeks) I did several for our family. I have also did some with flowers that DH got me for our 25th ann., my grandparents 70th ann. and for other events.

The glass balls have unlimited uses!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love that idea Lana. I'll have to keep it in mind... might need it soon for DN unfortunately.

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
Thank you for sharing that idea Lana. My father died the week before Christmas in 2006 and I have a few dried flowers and haven't been able to figure out what to do with them. I have wanted to make an ornament to represent him and this is a great idea.

Thanks again for sharing.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Lana -

Those remeberance ornaments are such a beautiful gift!!!

Do you just dry the flowers and crush them up a little to fit in the ball opening?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Pixiestick,
I usually leave them in a paper or plastic sack for several months and then just take petals and put inside the balls. I use baby breath, and if there is colored statice or any colored filler I save those pieces. I try to get some colored flowers and hope they retain the color when dried. I usually hot glue the metal top back on just so it wouldn't happen to slide off. On my familys I also used a small picture and tied it on the hanger part for the ornament. (I used fishing line and tied the fishing line around the hanger so the picture hung down on the ornament.) Since I was giving out 3 to everybody that year.
For the hanger I usually use either gold or silver ribbon depending on the color of the metal on the glass ball.

(all the colored items and fillers are from the funeral flowers. I always feel odd going back to the grave later in the day or evening to get the flowers BUT everyone seems to love the ornaments. I always figure they will just get thrown away and by the time I go the family has what they have wanted to keep.)