GPD Book & Movie Picks 2008

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I have volunteered to organize the Great Pumpkin Day Book and Movie Picks. We'll have a Fall/Halloween themed book and movie for each month and we can discuss them here on the Magical Holiday Home boards!

I'm looking for suggestions for books and movies for all 12 months of 2008. I know everyone is in full Christmas mode right now, but I thought I'd get this started so we can at least have picks in place for January.

So, if you have a suggestion, please PM me and I'll start the list. I'll take the first 12 book and movie suggestions. If you have a specific month that you think your suggestion would be best suited for, please let me know. I'll post the list here as it fills up.

For reference, here's the list from last year at OC, and a couple more threads discussing Halloween/Fall books and movies. (Hope my links work!)

http://organizedchristmas.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6486

http://www.organizedchristmas.net/viewt ... =32&t=6475

http://www.organizedchristmas.net/viewt ... =32&t=7731

http://www.organizedchristmas.net/viewt ... =43&t=7663

The last link is to a Thanksgiving book list, but I thought some of them might fit in with a fall theme.

:jack:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Book- Halloween Murder by Leslie Meier
Movie- Monster Squad

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Thanks for getting this started Jingle Belle.....January is right around the corner!!!

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Book: All or Nothing- by Claire Cross (Sounds cute)
Movie: Phantom of the Opera (I have never seen this)

Just a suggestion: Can we add an optional kid friendly book to give us ideas if we want to read a book to the kiddos on GPD?

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Sure we could do that. Actually, I had thought about that, but then I thought there was already something similar on here somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong??? Is there a list of seasonal children's books on here somewhere? If there is, maybe we could incorporate one from the list each month. If not, then I'm sure we could come up with some to add in!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes we do try to post a monthly list of kids books but nothing to stop us from using one of them or something else for GPD....

Also you may be thinking of when we did the Halloween Countdown....we included six kids books in that also.

If you want to include a kid's books....feel free to do so...no problem!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Can the info at OC be copied to this site before those links disappear?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Please do not copy the actual posts here but if you would like to compile a book list and save it on your home computer by copying and pasting the ideas for books...that should be fine. So I encourage members to do that if there is something specific they do not want to lose.

Most of the book lists are pretty easily re-generated by a quick search of amazon or other book dealers.

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Great! So, does anyone have childrens' book suggestions?

Here are the monthly picks so far...

January (thank you Mrs. Soup!)
Book- Trick or Treat Murder by Leslie Meier
Movie- Monster Squad
Childrens' Book-????

February (thank you Twinkle!)
Book- All or Nothing by Claire Cross
Movie- Phantom of the Opera
Childrens' Book-???

March (thank you Jackfrosty!)
Book - Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson
Movie - Stardust
Childrens' Book - ???

All other months are open, so if you have ideas let me know!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Question Great Pumpkin Day Book and Movie Planners....

I searched for Halloween Murder by Leslie Meier

but I found Treat or Trick Murder (by her)....does she have a Hallwoeen one also?????

I see she has a whole list of books....can't wait to read some of hers...I love murder mysteries...and I have read everything by my favorite authors...lol

PS: Here's a link to the page I'm creating to keep track of the selections for 2008

http://magicalholidayhome.com/?page_id=27

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I am going to have to look for the book also the one Ginger mentioned. I know my dd12 would love them.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I have Monster Squad so I just have to order the book and I'll be all set for January....I'm looking forward to it....

How many of you are going to join us???

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I can't say for sure, but I'm going to take a guess that Trick or Treat Murder was the intended book rather than Halloween Murder. (If my assumption is wrong, please let me know.) I'll edit my earlier post to reflect.

PS--Love these new icons, too cute!
:heartsNY:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
Jackfrosty, I wanted to rent Stardust this weekend and DH wouldn't go for it. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm picking one out by myself, because I definitely want to see it.

Those books look cute. Would you like me to list the first in the series or the second?