GPD day is here

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
So I celebrated mine on the 13th already but decided to maybe cook/bake something for today so I am a part of celebrating with the rest of you. I have some canned pupmkin in the cabinet so I might make pumpkin bread or pumpkin pie!!! What are YOU doing today???

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tomorrow?? 31?

I'm planning on trying to clean up my tear files and notes in a notebook... if I don't do it tomorrow I'll try to do it saturday.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I had originally planned on doing mine today because tomorrow is my mom's birthday, however, I forgot until a little while ago when I looked at my planner. LOL So, today i'm working on homework (priorities) and then tomorrow i'll work on creating my Halloween notebook and researching ideas.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I will shop for food - meatloaf and baked potatoes and pumpkin bread and apples to bake.

I will cook the food in the oven and light candles on the table when dinner is served.

I will enjoy the food. I will enjoy happy memories of the wonderful holiday that Halloween is!!! I will look forward to Halloween 2008. :jack:

luludou said:
Tomorrow?? 31?

I'm planning on trying to clean up my tear files and notes in a notebook... if I don't do it tomorrow I'll try to do it saturday.

I say today because over at OC most did it on the 30th to cover all (except February) the months!! I am did it on the 13th as will you guys starting next month!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
OK OT this might be a silly question but What are tear files?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
There are NO silly questions here, Girlsinmo! Tear files are a bunch of articles you have torn out of magazines -- so you don't have to keep the whole magazine. Also - you can keep the articles on one subject together in a file. So you can save a great recipe or decorating idea or whatever you want to save.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Kids are more excited than I am today. Tonight we are going to go thru tear files and some new websites to figure out food for Halloween party, oldest dd has some friends coming over and they are going to start figureing out haunted house. They are going to make everything for haunted house. We may also have time to figure out how we are going to decorate garage where party will be held. All 4 kids want to go gorey/scary this year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I guess I did unintentionally celebrate a little last night. LOL I made french toast with canned pumpkin and it was delicious!! It was a recipe from Deceptively Delicious. Today i'll be working on making my Halloween notebook.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
MrsSoup, that sounds delicious. Do you mix the pumpkin with the eggs?

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
I've updated my October planning sheet- including places we like to visit during Fall- (Zoo, Pumkin Patch, etc)

I got the Book "The Kids Everything Halloween Book of games and activities" it has alot of great stuff- so I am going to look through it and find an activity to do each month on the 13th and then one a day for the 13 Days of Halloween in Oct. Now I don't have to search internet for activities!! They have a Christmas one I am goin to get also.

KimD- I bet your kids will have great plans starting this early!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
momof4 said:
MrsSoup, that sounds delicious. Do you mix the pumpkin with the eggs?

Yes. The recipe I used is the following:

4 large eggs
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin (there are several other veggies you can use too)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 slices bread

Mix the eggs, pumpkin, and cinnamon. Dip the bread in the mixture for 30 seconds to 1 minute, any longer and it will get soggy. (I just did a quick dip on each side and it was fine)

*This recipe made 9 pieces for me and I used every last drop of the mixture. So if you have a larger family or a small one but everyone eats more than 1-2 pieces, make a double batch. It's so good they will ask for more.

My 5 year old at 4 pieces and my 18 month old ate 2!! They didn't even know the pumpkin was there and it tasted soooo good. I'm actually thinking about making it again tonight. LOL

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Forgot about GPD! Funny thing is, I ALMOST made a pumkin roll today anyway! I did work on my holiday recipe book. Maybe I'll search for some harvest-time recipes to add to my 'Recipes to Try' section. Here's a really good recipe I've made in the past. It came from http://www.cookbooks.com. Everyone asks for the recipe:

Great Pumpkin Dessert by Kay Casper
15 oz can pumpkin (not pie filling)
12 oz. can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. walnuts or pecans

Prheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
Mix together first five ingredients and then pour mixture into greased pan. Sprinkle yellow cake mix on top of mixture. Then drizzle with melted butter and nuts. Bake 1 hour. This is like a pumpkin pie with a crunchy topping!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
SparkleNana thanks I know what a tear file is now.

Twinkle could you share some of the activities out of the book?

jackfrosty hope your guys feel better soon.

MrsSoup don't care for french toast much but your recipe sounds good, might have to try it.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I hope everyone is having a Happy Great Pumpkin Day! :pilgrim:

I'm going to watch Shaun of the Dead in a minute.