GPD In The Neighborhood

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We all use these monthly special days to help us in our individual ways.

For me, I use GPD to nurture friendships and to socialize. After a five-year gap, I've decided to institute our neighborhood block party again - a neighbor who is leaving soon offered to help. So we decided to do it on short notice. It is this Saturday - with rain date Sunday.

Organizing the party is a lot of work. Getting permission from the county to close the road. Making and distributing announcements. Putting out tables (for the food and drinks) and chairs. Exhausting. But so much fun!

In past years, we have had as many as 200 people - all bringing food and drink to share. This time will be smaller - since we got a really late start. (One week to organize.) I have decided not to be a perfectionist - to just enjoy as many people as are able to come. We can always have another block party in the fall - or next year! :hat:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Purplecrush -- I wish you were going to be here!!!!! The greatest thing about a block party is -- it only appeals to some people -- the kind of people who LOVE to be outside on a beautiful day, eating all kinds of food, drinking as much wine as they like, and talking to all the other people who love to be doing the same thing!!!! It is a self-selecting group. There are people who live on the street who have never come to the block party once in 30 years. A party in the street is not their idea of fun. So anybody who shows up does so because it IS fun for them!!!! So you KNOW you will like anybody who is there, and you KNOW they will like you!!! And they do!!!

This is the complete ANTI-perfectionist party. People show up after working in the yard all day, without even combing their hair. It doesn't matter one bit! How many other parties are like that? Plus. the kids LOVE it. They race around and eat whatever they want.

purplecrush

Premiere Member
That sounds super fun!!! I wish I was going :frown: Thats my idea of fun! Hanging out, outside with food and drinks!!! I bet the kids all love it! I couldnt do this in my neighborhood, I dont even know most of my neighbors, everyone is anti-social. Ill just pretend im at yours... we can have a "virtual" block party LOL

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
That sounds great. As a kid, when I lived in the city we had block parties every summer. They were a lot of fun.

Now I live in an apartment and the management like to do things so that the neighbors get to know each other. Like on May 31st we're having a yard sale. They do this every year and it's a lot of fun. They place ads in the local papers for the public. The neighbors have a great time. Last year for the Raven's last game they set up a big tv and fired up the grills and invited the whole complex to watch they game and eat burgers and hotdogs.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:party: Aggy - that sounds great! It sounds like a really nice place in which to live! :party:

I spent a little time outside today, hammering up notices for the block party on telephone polls around the location of the party. i went to Staples and ran them off on a pretty aqua colored paper. I am hoping the sight of them will act as reminders for the block party on Saturday. So far the weather looks nice - so we won't have to use the rain date.

I usually lug lots of tables and chairs out myself from neighbors yards. (With their permission.) Finally, this year, I think I will hire a delightful teen-ager to haul them out and put them back for me. Other people do bring tables and chairs -- but people seem to wait for the first tables and chairs and food to be set up - before they come out of their houses. Just something I have noticed over the years. I want to use my energy for enjoying the party -- there does seem to be a decrease in energy for me every decade or so! But - no decrease in the enjoyment of parties! :pink:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Sparklenana it really is. It's a small complex which is what I really like and why I've been there for 9 years. LOL. I know what you mean about decrease in energy. Though I'm only 40 (41 in July) I too am noticing that I'm not as gungho as I used to be. I think it's because I've taken on a second job. When I get time for myself I usually am sleeping.

Have a great time at your block party! :party:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
the block party sounds like fun. I have always lived in the country in a farming community and have never been to one. Town picnics when I was younger. Ice cream socials. Just ENJOY and it will be fine.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Lana - Your advice is good for life in general, as well as for a party - "Just ENJOY and it will be fine". I like that idea!

I also like the idea of an ice cream social! I don't know what it is -- but it sounds great - especially for the summer! :bunny:

As far as I have seen in the almost 2 years I lived here in FL none of my neighbors really get together. My best friend in NY used to live about 5 blocks from me and her street would have a big block party every year. I miss those days. We lived next to the border of an airport for personal planes and one year the block party fell on the weekend the airport was having a Hot Air Balloon show. One of the Hot Air Balloons was hovering right above the houses and we were chatting with the people in the balloon, it was really cool!!! I miss those days!!!