Halloween blog ring

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Just posted pics of my 'morgue' sign and my spellbook (grimoire) on my blog.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
They look great!!

Melanie

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
Great job on both. I left you a comment on the blog.

After visiting you, I looked back at your blog from last year and read your entries. Then I went searching for some epitaphs for some gravestones that I want to make. That was several hours ago! I found lots of sites and they had so much more info...

So, I found myself copying and pasting info and reading and writing and that led to another place and then another. This Halloween addiction is becoming big with me all of a sudden.

I added a lot of links to my Halloween blog of some neat things and even made a couple of posts about ways to make scars, blood and other special effects type make up for CHEAP.
I found most of these on a page from www.budget101.com which has a holiday section including one on Halloween. Go check it out. I just registered there.

Thanks for the inspiration from your post today and your blog both the current posts and those that I went back and read from last year.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
luludou - your spellbook came out great! I love it!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Cathymac- thanks for the great list of fall favorites...love your banner/garland...very pretty!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Printersdevil I just revisited your halloween blog and it looks really great.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks luludou! I have been posting a lot so that I will have these things to go back to in the future. I love your spell book. I bought a huge Physicians Reference Guide book last week from the Crowded Closet thrift store, but haven't takled it yet. It is perfect size, but I really don't know what to do to alter it. I am not very crafty! I am going to stop by Hobby Lobby tomorrow to look around at things. I have used Modge Podge in the past and might try something using it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Printersdevil I am not crafty either. I just looked at a picture of a book I liked and then got grey paint all overt it, put a coat of varnish and then glued color foam at the 4 corners. It was way easier than I thought. I had been putting it off since last year because it seemed Huge to me.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I used letters that stick for scrapbooking. I used glittering gold letters and then the writing was done with a fine black marker on the side of the book.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
I went back to the Dollar Tree today hoping to find some more of the gory hands, but didn't find any. I had picked up a couple of the feet several weeks ago, but missed out on the hands. They told me that they won't be getting in any more Halloween. :(

I am glad that found all the signs and things from there earlier. They really had a great assortment of things this year.

My DD and DN let me out and went down the strip mall to another store, so I browsed around looking at everything and thinking outside the box for ideas for the Boo Bash. I found a couple of nice looking (if there is such a thing--LOL) snakes in the toy section. It says that they grow in water over a period of 90 something hours! I got two in different colors and patterns. I found a gallon jar in my garage that I had forgotten about. I don't have a lid, but will come up with some type of covering for it. I think they will be great for a prop in either the Ye Olde Magick Shoppe in my entryway, the witch's kitchen, or the apothocary area of the screened in porch.

I also found some packages of life size flies, bat, locuts and other outdoor critters, and rats and other insects from around the house stuff---all in the toy section. I think they will have a great creap effect in jars. I also got two packages of monster looking teeth (with a set of three in a pack) from the toy section. You can't beat the price.

I also picked up a couple of CDs of Halloween sounds and music to test.

As I was checking out, the clerk asked me if I was interested in any window clings and I told her I had looked through what they had. She told me that she had a stack at the register that they had trouble displaying. So, I looked through them and picked up a pack of three clings of spiders, a large sheet of 6 glitter spider clings, and a large sheet of spooky glitter clings including a haunted house, cat, spiders, ghoul, witch, bats, etc.

I have been looking for a crashed witch to go on the door from the kitchen to the garage. I found one today at the newly opened Spirit Halloween store and one a Target, but they were way more than I was willing to pay. These were all things that attached and were awesome looking, but I just wanted something simple on the door at the end of the long galley kitchen. The kitchen theme is a Witch's Kitchen. At the Dollar Tree I found one package left of a crashed witch wall door decoration! Of course, it is the design on a flat piece of black vinyl, but it fits what I wanted it for and the price was perfect!

I was really pleased to find so many things for around $13!

We had gone in the new Spirit Halloween store to look around and need I say it was awesome. Expensive, but awesome. I did get some good ideas of how to make some ghosts and how to display some things, so it was a great Boo Bash field trip.

We also made a run to my fav thrift store, the Resale Barn, since DD hasn't found a costume yet. They have had a HUGE assortment of costumes and Halloween decor for weeks. They still had a lot, but are winding down. More people are thinking and buying Halloween now. I am so fortunate to have found all my items during the past few weeks before the supply there got low. She didn't find a costume, but I did pick up a cute wodden sign that has an arrow on each end and says: Witch Way? Hurry... They're Coming. The sign was only 99 cents! I also picked up an awesome bottle for potions for 49 cents.

I love it and needed another sign for the kitchen door that connects to the entryway. I have another sign that says something about Witch's Way Diner that came from Dollar Tree.

I just uploaded some photos to my blog. I have been neglectful of posting photos there and need to be doing so. I did post photos a week or so ago of all the props I had bought, but I am thinking that I want to organize things according to theme and repost photos for each room as I move forward. I have a very detailed list of what is going in each room and the theme for the room listed in an appropriate spooky font for my Halloween Notebook.

My menu printout is looking great! I just need to decide how best to present it on the table or if I want to print up numerous "menus" or what. I do know that I want to make labels of some sort to go in front of all the foods to carry out the Frightful Feast Buffet theme.

So much to do!!!

All in all, it was a great day of Boo Bash shopping for less than $20.

Last edited:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Printersdevil, your blog is great!

Are you talking about the grusome, gummy feet and hands? Our Wal-mart has those. I was thinking about getting some for our party..but I am not sure I will. Good job on all the shopping and bargains!

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
Yes, I think I will get those for the party, but I was looking for the foot and hand that are almost lifesize and look like they were dismembered. Dollar Tree had them, but evidently not a lot of them.

Thanks for the compliments on the blog. I am having fun with this! It is all because of the inspiration from here and all the past years of reading about the Boo Bashes!

We have had several weeks of rain and overcast weather that brought in some wonderful cooler fall like temps. However, today it was in the 80s and was so HOT. I think we have another cool front headed in the first of the week and I am SOOOOOO ready for the cooler weather to stay.