Hanukkah

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just found out that it's only 40 days until the first night of Hanukkah!

I have to get moving!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I would love to hear about it all, as well! Please share when you have the time.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Each night we light candles and give presents. Since our son now lives in Manhattan we wait until he gets home from work and he calls us and we open our presents "together".

I decorate the house in Blue/White/gold with garlands and menorahs (the candlelabra) and candles on the mantle. We also have an electric menorah in one of the windows and I usually hang some blue and white lights around our bay window. I also have a rather untraditional Hanukkah wreath on the door.

On the Saturday in Hanukkah, which is Dec. 12 this year, we have a Hanukkah party for our friends and family. We make latkes (potato pancakes) and serve bagels and lox, tuna and egg salads for a late afternoon/early evening dinner. When it is dark (which is pretty early in NYC ) we light the candles and everyone gets a present.

I'll try to take some photos and post them as things get going.

39 days left!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I love your traditions, and can hardly wait to see pictures. It all sounds lovely. I love latkes. I made them a couple of years ago. I know it's a lot of work, but oh, yummo! They are sooooo good!