Happiness Project- Week One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
2nd-

Here are our assignments for the week:

*- The biggest tool that Gretchen said that increased her happiness during her year of exploring her happiness was creating a Resolutions chart. She made up a chart and checked in with it nightly to see what she had accomplished and to keep herself on track. Basket has a copy of Gretchen's chart that she will be sending me.

Assignment- Make yourself a resolutions chart. For me- I like making it on a big posterboard that I can SEE! If you have little ones, or maybe want to be more private about your journey- make sure you at least make one out in notebook size and check in with it- DAILY!
Give yourself a sticker or a smiling face on the days you've done good- you would be surprised how much this encourages you!

January's focus is: Boost Energy.

Without our energy, there is no way we can feel happy as we are dragging through our days.

She picked these areas to work on:
*Go to sleep earlier
* Exercise Better
* Toss, restore, organize
* Tackle a nagging task
* Act more energetic

If you have watched the you tube video for the week, you will see that this week's Assignment is: Go to sleep earlier!
Corresponding Reading- Chapter 1- pgs. 17-21.

For many, I know this is not a problem, for some of us it is a big problem!
(If this isn't an issue for you- is there something else you can work on this week- like make sure you're staying hydrated- that can zap your energy too!)

Please post to let us know how you are doing: On both your Resolutions Chart and your assignment of Going to sleep earlier! Also- don't forget to work on your 12 Commandments and Secrets of Adulthood.

Have a Great week in Happiness!

Annie

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Annie- I also have a copy of the resolutions chart if you still need it. :)

I find that my problem isn't going to bed late, I have actually been going to bed super early. I think I will take up the drink more water challenge though for this week instead of the earlier bedtime because I definitely don't drink enough.

I have completed my 12 Commandments in my thread in the Celebrate Me forum and now need to start working on my Secrets of Adulthood. And I need to make my resolution chart.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
The toolbox is great. I like it to write and read lists and like the one-sentence-Journal.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thank you, Basket for sending me the Resolutions Chart!

It is in PDF format so I don't think we can post it in the thread.

If anyone wants to see it, PM me- I'll forward it on to you!

Thank you, HolidayAngelOz for posting about the toolbox!

Also, don't forget to add this link to your favorites:

http://www.happiness-project.com/

You can access the toolbox, videos, interviews, many things about the Happiness Project!

Annie

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I watched the second video last night and will watch the first in a bit. I had forget I have the Resolution Chart I pulled it up after you mention it...Now to make me one for my Happiness Project.

I'm so glad we're all doing this together. I've had this book for awhile. I read it all the way through and worked on some of it. But I believe for me it will be better to work on it at the same time as others. While our Happiness Projects are similiar but different I feel we'll all benefit from following & encouraging each other.

I have completed(and posted in my word thread) my 12 commandments for my Happiness Project. I have a list of my Secrets to Adulthood I will post them also . I need to get them written out in a notebook so I can look at them at anytime.

I definately can use a boost of energy. I have clutter that I will work on moving out. I also need to drink more water. My DD bought me a pedometer for Christmas. I'd like to see if I can figure out how to set it & measure my steps each day. I would like to work toward the 10,000 steps a day.

But the get to sleep earlier will be something I have trouble with. I am a nightowl in the biggest sense of the word. There is just something about the quietness of the night. I think for me I need to find a way to get uninterrupted sleep and maybe I can work toward trying to get in bed a bit earlier.

Thank you all for sharing

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
The toolbox is great. I like it to write and read lists and like the one-sentence-Journal.

I like the 1 minute rule :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I don't have the book and no library around here. I'll have to check out amazon. I did look at the video and find it very interesting.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Sharing a part of my journey of Week One:

* The Resolutions Chart- What works best (for me) is to do a week at a time, while keeping in mind my longer range goals.
-I pick 5-7 goals for a month
-I found a pack of small posterboard in bright colors- perfect to list the 7 days of the week.
-I list what my 5-7 goals are on each day. At the end of the day, I put a check mark next to the ones I reached. If I did 100%- I give myself a sticker.
-If I try to list all my goals that I have, I tend to get overwhelmed and won't do anything. But 5-7 I can handle. And, I put a couple that are easy to reach. For Example: Brush teeth 2 minutes per time- Am & PM.
The small successes are what keep me going.

* Going to bed Early- Oh my, has this been a struggle for me. A true Night Owl- I love the nights! BUT- I have to be up EARLY to be into the office by 7:30 am. Staying up past midnight- was not cutting it!
-In the fall, I put it on my Resolutions Chart to work on for 6 weeks- getting to bed by 10:30- light's out!
-I would kick and scream doing it- but noticed: 1.) I fell asleep fast and 2.) How much BETTER my days went when I got a good night's rest.
I wasn't fighting and dragging through my days!
-Now- I bumped it up to be in bed by 10:15. Resolution on the other end is to get up earlier. Last night was the same thing- I grumbled about it but noticed quite quickly how fast my body was ready for sleep!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Mid- week check in:

Anyone else trying to hit the sack earlier?

Has anyone made their Resolution chart?

A lot of progress on our 12 commandments and Secrets of Adulthood!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since I don't have the book, I follow where I can. Annie, can you pm me the resolution chart so I can see what it looks like?
Secrets of Adulthood, what has to be done with that?

Yes, I've been trying to get to sleep earlier. I NEED it!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Mid-week check in:

Twelve commandments are done

Resolution chart is done. I have printed monthly calendars for my notebook. I am doing pretty good so far this month.

Going to be early is not really a problem for me, but I have changed my bedtime routine. Instead of washing my face, brushing and flossing and putting PJs on right before bed, I am doing it earlier in the evening. I find if I do this stuff later, I get a second wind and want to keep on getting stuff done.

The only thing that needs to be done is let the dogs out to pee and lock the door and then I head off to bed. I do read for a little while and when I turn the lights out I am good and tired.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Mel, I too have been doing the'before-bed' routines earlier! I do think it helps.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sleeping sure can cure a lot of troubles. I am adjusting my sleep times. I want to go to bed a little earlier so I'm doing it in half hours amounts. I was going to between 11 and midnight. My goal is to adjust this to bedtime at 10 pm with at least 8 hours of sleep.

So far so good.

HolidayAngelOz

MHH Member
Feb 19, 2009
I have been working out more- so I am more tired so I sleep better. :) I finished my resoulution chart this morning and have boosting your energy with being healthy.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I need to work on my chart...

Going to bed early is a BIG issue for me. I, too am a Night Owl...it just seems that the only time I can accomplish anything is when the boys are in bed. Not a great time to start a project! ;) I am aiming for 10pm every night this week...so far so good, but I'm not falling asleep right away which makes me feel like it's wasted time (crazy thinking, I know!)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I have no problem with the bedtime so I have been working on upping my water intake and increasing my bedtime so when DH gets home i'm not in bed by 8:30. I've been averaging about 46 ounces a day which is really good since I normally don't drink much of anything.

I have the resolution chart from Gretchen but I can't edit the blank one for some reason. So, I attempted to make my own in Excel but it's really boring and I haven't printed it yet. I'm not even sure what to put on it. What are you guys putting on yours? Your 12 Commandments? Or something else? I did set a few goals for myself for January so I put those on there.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't have the book yet either so I am going off stuff I see here.
I don't have the resolution chart, need to find out what it is. I did get me a notebook today.
I have my 12 commandments and am thinking over the rules of adulthood.
As for bed time, not doing great there. However I did listen to my body and went to bed last night before 10 and I needed it. I need to find a better way to wind down after work. When I get in at midnight I am wide awake and watch TV and get online. I really need to just get some water or something and read.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MrsSoup-
I was curious about how your water intake was going. Was thinking of it while waiting to have my tire fixed- lol!

My Resolutions chart- I did mine on hot pink posterboard- with markers.
Then, I go through it every night and give myself a check mark on what I met that day. It's hanging on a wall right in my living room- where I have to pass by and see it.

Colleen- Maybe try going to bed a bit earlier and gradually up it a little more, week by week. Before the holidays, my goal was to be in bed by 10:30, and just this week I upped it to 10:15. I'm going to stick with that for at least a couple of weeks, and then up it again to 10:00.
Sounds like Ahorsesoul is on the same path. :)

Mel and Lucie- My before bedtime routine needs adjusting too- I look at the clock and have 15 minutes to: floss, brush teeth, feed old lady Cashy, it's too crazy!

Lucie- The Secrets of Adulthood are things, tidbits, quotes that you have learned as you grow up and become an Adult.
Ex: Bring a sweater, You don't have to be good at everything, This one from MrsSoup- Put your shopping cart in the corral!

HolidayAngelOz- Good job on the exercising!
Shannon- Good for listening to your body last night and getting to bed early!

Annie

Last edited: