Happy GPD day!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
... I guess today is mine (since there is no 31st this month). I went through my Halloween notebook last night and today I'm gonna make a list as if I'm throwing a Halloween party with a theme for each room and a supper menu (or buffet)....

yay! Halloween!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've already started posting things on my blog this morning, so be sure to check it out!! There will be more to follow. My goals for today were to start my Halloween notebook and research homemade decoration ideas. So far i've been researching decorations and I plan to start on my notebook in a while. I also plan on watching It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown at some point today. Work before play......... Happy Great Pumpkin Day!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Happy Great Pumpkin Day!

I'm going to watch Nancy Drew and Ever After, finally decide on a costume (I've narrowed it down to two ideas related to those films), and shop for costume supplies tonight. My lunch is going to feature a Halloween design, too (carved pumpkin patch, an Autumn tree, etc). :)

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Happy GPD! this year my best friend is having a Boo bash! I have tried to encourage her to have it the day after Halloween as my children love treak or treating and it's really begining to catch on in the UK with lots of people getting into the spirit of things! I bought a fantastic witches hat and now I am looking for a dress! I am going to show her all the wonderful ideas on this site!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Happy GPD!!!!

I am gonna get off here in a minute and go put together my layout in the Halloween scrapbook...hopefully get a few pics up later this evening also!!!

I also will look through my Halloween Notebook and make some notations for this years party...BooBash2

Check my blog later for pics and an update on progress!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
For Elf in Training, my daughter was Nancy Drew this past Halloween and I've got the best picture to show you..I've got to run, but look for it later.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
MinnieCo said:
For Elf in Training, my daughter was Nancy Drew this past Halloween and I've got the best picture to show you..I've got to run, but look for it later.

Ooh nifty. Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
HAPPY DAY....I got the layouts done of Evan at Halloween 2007. I really like the four shot sequence one...he is looking at a sucker in shot one....unwrapping it in shot two, putting it in his mouth in shot three, and in shot four he is grinning after tasting it!!!

I feel like I really accomplished something on GPD...see the photos on my blog:

Great Pumpkin Day

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay, I'm going to try this fancy link thing...and show you the Nancy Drew photos. Here it goes:

NancyDrewCostume

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
GREAT job...you managed the link.

Cute costume idea!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Started looking through the book "Hocus Pocus" by phoebe spelling (from scholastic - my daughter bought it from school a few years ago. They have lots of ideas!! Love it! recipes (like boogers - ugh!, werewolf eyeballs (with mushrooms, cream chees & olives), dead man finger (pizza), tricks, spells, scream themes, etc...
http://www.amazon.com/Hocus-Pocus-Janet-Hoggarth/dp/1903434378/ref=ed_oe_p.. mine doesn't have the same cover (guess it's just too old!).

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That's adorable! She looks like she's having a blast, too. I love it! Thanks for sharing, MinnieCo. :applause:

I didn't get my costume supply shopping done, but I did decide I'm going to be Nancy Drew this year. Now I can finally get started! My first step will be sewing a little sleuth bag together (full of goodies, of course!) and knitting some knee-highs. :flower:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My daughter so wanted the sleuth bag with all her gadgets, but her uncle (the only one who sews) was sick during that time and I wasn't about to attempt it..LOL

She's always been lucky, becuase between her uncle and I, we can whip up some pretty good costumes and really don't ever buy store bought costumes. We might add things for accessories, but nothing major. Last year he actually made her a kamono and year before that she was cleopatra w/ gold coins hanging from the hem of her dress. One year she wanted to be the girl from MEN In BLACK, so we adapted a womens black suite to fit and I actually ordered a MIB lazer from universal studios toy store..LOL

Oh...by the way, can you tell she's spoiled???

She's begging to be Marie Antoinette (spelling??), but I keep telling her she needs to wait till she's older and actually has somewhere to go to wear that costume. To much work to wear to school and trick or treat around the block.. :thud:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Hehe. :grin: Yeah, I like to make my own costumes, too. I think costumes are extra beautiful when they have your own special touch. I love that your daughter is "spoiled" in this way. It's good, clean fun and a great bonding tradition!

So far, I've found a selection of trinkets from around the house to put in the sleuth kit (iPod, mini tape recorder, digital camera, a notebook I'll scrapbook into a clue book, a paint brush that I'll make into a fingerprint kit along with a container of flour "fingerprint dust," magnifying glass, carabiner and rope, mini maglite flashlight, electronic dictionary I'll label "decoder," an envelope I'll label "Top Secret," measuring tape, a little mini purell bottle for extra messy missions, and I know I have a compass around here somewhere... That just leaves a little tin for my "snacks" if I feel like adding that touch).

I also put my outfit together from things I have already using a pleated skirt I made with my Harry Potter costume from last year, a cardigan I'll wear over my shoulders, a button-up shirt, and a sweater undershirt. I'm going to wear a belt around my tops for an added retro/finished touch, and for shoes I'll wear either a pair of boots or penny loafers. I'm about to start knitting those knee-high socks with some leftover yarn I have, and if I don't choose to use a bag I already have, tonight I'll get a little sleuth kit fabric to whip that into shape (I'll use some of DH's leftover plastic sheeting for reinforcement/shaping and add little holders for the items).

If anyone is interested, I found a great video online where Emma Roberts discusses her sleuth kit (link!). You can also find it in the Nancy Drew (2007) DVD extras. Aside from that bag, you could also use a box or a hand tote filled with goodies... Nancy's kit has varied from time to time (I just happen to adore the 2007 film kit). And if you're playing Nancy Drew in general like me, be sure to read some of the books and check out the Bonita Granville classic films for inspiration (and just plain fun!)! And for shoes, I think Oxfords (saddle shoes) or Mary Janes would also work exceedingly well, depending on your outfit.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Forgot about this, but right after halloween the school had a special after school program. Some of the kids were asked to dress up as book characters and walk around the school reading from the book. Then some of the smaller kids had to approach them and ask questions to guess each characters She immediately jumped at that project, because it gave her one more reason to wear her costume.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
That is such a fun idea and a great excuse to get kids reading! I'm glad she had so much fun. She seems like a sweet, beautiful girl with a heart and spirit of gold. :flower: