Hardboiled/Deviled Eggs

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I want to make deviled eggs for Easter.

Am looking for recipes.

And- what is a foolproof way to boil eggs?

Has anyone tried that oven method I've seen on Pinterest and facebook?

Where you put the eggs in a muffin tin and cook them in the oven?

Annie

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My sister has did them in the oven but can't remember the outcome.

I am planning on doing the deviled eggs with the dyed whites.
Got a pretty plate at Goodwill--Clear glass with a little flower in each egg hole. didn't need one BUT>>>

Annie, this recipe was in my Taste of Home and I might try them--maybe. I have never had Greek yogurt.

Creamy Herb Deviled Eggs

12 hard cooked eggs
1/4 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
3 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. paprika
Cut eggs lengthwise in half. Remove yolks, reserving whites. In small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in salad dressing, yogurt, mustard and pepper. Spoon or pipe into egg whites. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Sprinkle with paprika.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I haven't tried that method yet but am curious of it works. I always boil eggs for 10 minutes and then turn the heat off, cover the pot and let it sit or another 10 minutes or so.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lana- Thanks for the recipe!

Jessica- Do you ever have a hard time peeling them?

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
No, never.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hey

I have heard that old eggs peel better than fresh. And that was true when we had chickens. I couldn't peel them. But the eggs we get in the stores are "older" and should peel ok. I put eggs and cold water in a pot. Bring to boil and let boil 2 min. Turn off heat and remove from burner the pot. Put lid on pot and let sit for 20 minutes.

As far as recipe, mine's been the simple mayo, mustard, paprika ... but I do peel and color the egg it's self for a pretty effect!! Not too many folks do that and look at me strange when I say I do that. My mom did that .... I don't know why. I do it cuz she did it! LOL

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I boil eggs 10 min. and peel. Just add mayonnaise, salt & pepper. and decorate one with paprika, one with parsley & alternate in the egg-dish. Greek yogourt instead of mayonnaise? nice idea!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I did try baking them. I think it would work great once you get the timing down. I did them just a little too long so they had little brown specks on them.

I do not like deviled eggs so I do not have a great recipe. I think last year I didn't devil them at all, just cooked them. Then I mixed up a dip out of the stuff you would usually put in to devil them and everyone just dipped in their eggs.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did try the oven method and from what I read it's pretty normal to have the brown spot where they touch the pan. I think doing them in the oven for salads and such is a good way, but i'm not sure you'd want to do that when making deviled eggs because you need them to look more presentable.

Honestly, I don't have a recipe. I just add what I have on hand..and make to taste.

But don't forget you can put the filling in a zip lock back, cut the tip and put them in the eggs that way to make it just a bit fancier.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I put a bit of vinegar in the water to help keep them white and easily peeled!

I just saw a recipe in the new Taste of Home for deviled eggs....it's not on their site yet, but if you'd like it I'll find it tonight. Let me know.

I usually just do salt, pepper, mayo and a bit of mustard with my yolks. Then pipe them into the eggs with the decorator and sprinkle with paprika.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just seen this on facebook and thought of you... Here's a different recipe

Easy Bacon Ranch Deviled Eggs

Ingredients

6 eggs, hard boiled
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 tbsp Hidden Valley ranch seasoning (from the dressing packets)
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp, crumbled bacon
salt and pepper

Instructions

Gently peel the eggs and cut each egg in half, length-wise. Remove the yolks and place them in a medium bowl. Place the egg white halves on large plate or serving platter and set aside.
Mash the yolks with a fork. Mash until there are no big lumps. Add mayo, ranch seasoning, mustard and white wine vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix together until creamy. Stir in 2 tablespoons crumbled bacon.
Fill each of the egg white halves with about a teaspoon and a half of the filling. Top with crumbled bacon.
Yields: 12

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thanks, everyone!!!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just changed the way I do my eggs to the way my friend does them. (I've tried several different ways). The last couple times I have brought them to boil from cold water and then knocked them down to simmer for 20 minutes. They peeled easily both times.

About the Pinterest recipe (the one with egg in the muffin tin), yes, I tried it and it was a big hit. First time we experimented with 3 different ways:

1. Scrambled with cheese mixed in
2. Whole yoke with cheese on top (my favorite)
3. Whole yoke with bacon

And what happened? Everyone loved them but each person had a favorite and they all want them cooked different ways! LOL! One tip -- if you use extra large eggs, they will be too big to fit in the cupcake tin if you have bread in the bottom. Smaller eggs will work better.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Annie, what recipe did you end up using?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MinnieCo-

I mixed the yolks with:

* Mayo, dijon mustard, a bit of minced onion, pepper, a bit of tabasco.

The tabasco puts a sour taste to them which I'm not sure I liked. They went fast though- lol. I did pipe the yolk mixture in with a star tip so they looked fancy and pretty.

Would be interested in if others used a new recipe- how they thought it turned out.

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
no new recipe here...mayo, garlic salt, relish, whole mustard...and that was it! BORING...but oh so good!! LOL

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
some different versions here, that's cool. I use mayo, mustard, salt, pepper and relish in some. If I am taking a batch I do half with, half w/o.

How did yours turn out?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Okay..I'm going to keep this egg discuss going...LOL I was just on my pinterest board and found these "pumpkin" deviled eggs. I didn't look how to make them yet, but they would be really neat for thanksgiving. Here's a link... http://pinterest.com/pin/72972456433587565/