Healthy Halloween treats

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
http://www.halloween-website.com/healthy_treats.htm

Cereal Bars
Fruity flavors make cereal bars a popular snack for all ages but they're not all created equal. Read the labels. Look for whole grains, fiber, and real fruit.

Pudding Cups
Those little pudding cups pack a punch. Sugar-free or reduced calorie servings still offer that creamy texture and rich flavor that provides instant gratification.

100 Calories Packs
You've seen them everywhere. Chips, crackers, and cookies. 100 calorie snack packs typically aren't nutritious but they help with portion control and satisfy the munchies.

Microwave Popcorn Bags
Popcorn is always a treat but who really needs all that salt and imitation butter? No worries. Just hand out bags of light popcorn or those 100 calorie mini bags. Movies anyone?

Sugarless Gum
It's not bubblegum but it's much easier on teeth. Handing out sugarless gum will ease your guilt and parents will appreciate one less piece of candy to worry about.

Hot Cocoa Mix Packets
These single-serving packets don't have to be sugar-free but it's a wise choice. They're inexpensive and available in different varieties of chocolaty goodness.

Raisins
Raisins are often overlooked for Halloween treats but they're full of natural sweetness. Hand out those mini boxes and you may have kids coming back for more, those sneaky little devils.

String Cheese
Kids love cheese! What's great about string cheese is that it's individually wrapped and available in light, low calorie, and low-fat versions. Not bad, not bad at all.

Mini Boxes of Cereal
Yes, they're the same mini boxes you loved as a kid. Nothing's changed except that they're more difficult to find. Don't give up. Some stores that don't usually stock them will get some in for the Halloween season. Grab 'em while you can.

Gift Certificates
You can't be certain how they're spent but chances are, the parents will have input. Fast food restaurants now have healthy alternatives and if the trick-or-treaters make the wrong choice, it's on them.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
These are great ideas Lucie. Just because it is Halloween, doesn't mean the treats have to be full of sugar.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
http://www.halloween-website.com/healthy_treats.htm

Mini Boxes of Cereal
Yes, they're the same mini boxes you loved as a kid. Nothing's changed except that they're more difficult to find. Don't give up. Some stores that don't usually stock them will get some in for the Halloween season. Grab 'em while you can.

I bought these last year to hand out, and DH was laughing at me, telling me that the house was going to get egged because we weren't handing out candy. Well, he had to eat crow, because we had kids asking if they could take two!! I actually saw one kid rip the box open and start munching before he left my driveway!!

BTW, I tied an orange ribbon around them and slipped in a black plastic spoon to make them look cuter!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My grandma used to give my sister and I a box of raisins for our Halloween treat (then Grandpa would slip us a regular sized Snickers candy bar when Grandma and Mom weren't looking). :)

I loved the raisins (I would ask my Grandma for a second box before heading home)!

Now that I am diabetic raisins in small qualities are still one of my favorite fruit snacks.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
BTW, I tied an orange ribbon around them and slipped in a black plastic spoon to make them look cuter!

Ladybugsmom - what a sweet idea! I love the addition of the ribbon and black plastic spoon!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My son's used to love getting juice boxes in their trick or treat bag.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
Here's another thought I just had. Last year, my son came down with Pneumonia the week of Halloween. I didn't have the heart to tell him he couldn't trick or treat, so we brought our little red wagon in case he got tired, we could pull him. Anyways...

When he went up to one door he started having a bad coughing fit, and the woman at the door told us to wait a minute, and she came back with a bottle of water. Well, my four year old, gave the lady the candy bar back she'd just gotten and asked if SHE could have a water instead!!

Trick or Treating is thirsty work! I might get a case of Aqua Pods to hand out this year.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
The water is a great idea, too!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
These are great ideas. DS(5) loved the GC's to Wendy's that he got last year. He loved going up to the counter to "buy" his own snack!

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
I was in Walgreens today and saw individualized bags of sunflower seeds sold in a big bag. I thought those could be a healthy alternative to candy, also.