Help.....I'm caving!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Okay, so I set my budget at $250 per kid and I have finished both kids. I feel really good about what I got them but here's the thing. The kids are seeing other things that they want. I have always gone overboard at Christmas but this year we have really decided to stick to the budget. I am arguing with myself to not go shopping. Please remind me that the kids do not need all the extra stuff. That they will have a beautiful Christmas. I need support!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Connie :help:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
They really don't need the extra stuff!! Hang in there! Just remember, most of what you buy will be used for a few days or weeks and then tossed aside anyway. No use spending the extra money for it to be tossed in a corner.

My son is seeing stuff on TV that he wants everyday but i'm almost done shopping for him, got two things left to go. I'm not caving!! :grin: You can do it!

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
It is great that you have almost gotten everything done. Just remember that the things that kids remember about their childhood memories about the holidays are not the actually gifts, it's the different activities and moments that you spent with them, such as trips to the skating rink, seeing the carolling ships (if you live in a city on the water) or perhaps seeing The Nutcracker. Those are the things that kids remember. :globe:

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Wow, that is a really powerful message! It is true that our society over indulges our children. I am guilty of it to a degree. I find it really hard to deny my children things. For the record, my kids are very appreciative and they never demand something from me. This is why I probably spoil them. They don't have an entitled attitude and I guess I want to reward them by giving things to them. It's kind of twisted when you really think about it!!!! Thanks for all the support. I really needed it!!! :turkey:

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I think you are doing a great job of budgeting and parenting! Why not hold out for a few weeks and see what they intend to ask Santa for (i am assuming they are young). Maybe get them one or two more things just to make sure the magic of "he got me what i wanted is not lost". That way you are getting it but not too much ober budget. Make it the cheapest thing they ask him for.

I am conflicted on this issue too. I find it hard to make sure I am shopped early and all finished, but then in September we don't have Santa lists! So I always end up adding a thing or two just to make sure atleast one thing they ask for is under the tree.

good luck!

Kelly :boo: :bat:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our DD is doing the same thing with everything she sees on TV. She has already written her list of toys to ask Santa for. Now whenever she does it I will ask her WHY she wants it. Most of the time it's because so and so has one and not because she really wants it. I told her if that is what she wants then she has to cross something of her list that she does really want. She didn't like that idea. Needless to say she is not asking for everything she sees anymore.

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
That is a great article. When we were little christmas was crazy!!!! Present galore. I am one of three and one of 9 grandchildren. I remember my parents couldn't bring home all of our presents from my grandparents in one trip. This always put pressure on my parents as they, especially my mom, as she felt she needed to keep up with my grandparents. Of course my grandparents never tried to "out do" my parents or uncles but this was just them...loving christmas. But now that I am a parent, I feel pressured to get as many gifts under the tree for our children and family. What ends up happening......you buy all these presents and they don't play with half of them. It all goes back to what's the real reason for christmas???? I feel your pain of caving. Its easier than said but done, but it is worth it to not cave!!!