HGP 2023 – WEEK 12 – Attic / Storage

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Week 12, we’re getting closer. Time to tackle more storage areas – the ATTIC and any other area where you store things. Time to give this area some attention. Break out your brooms and dust cloths, along with some window cleaner, if you’ll need that while in the Attic.

I’ve never had an attic for storage, though most homes do. The attic access here is above my washer and dryer, with a 2nd hatch in my closet. But, there’s no way I can get up there, and the opening is so small nothing but the smallest boxes would fit. We did have an attic in our 100-year old home in Chicago. But the previous owner had a phobia of squirrels and always thought they were getting into the attic space. So, he had all access points sealed up, plastered over, and we had no idea where the point of access was, they did that good of a job.

For many, It’s where they store their holiday décor. For me, it’s unusable space, except for insulation and support beams. So, I’ll be focusing on wrapping up tasks I’ve not gotten to in previous weeks, and working on getting my office area in better shape.

If you have boxes stored in your attic, this is the time to go through them and weed out items that can be donated – old toys that are still in good condition, outgrown clothes that can be sent for donation, furniture that is no longer in use and will never find its way back into your living or dining room. Let it go, let someone else put it to good use. If you have family heirlooms stored there, consider selecting one or two to keep, and then offer the remainder to other family members, with a deadline. If that deadline comes and goes, perhaps give one more reminder, then consider lettinng go of the remaining items. As the saying goes, “there’s a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror.” While we don’t want to forget our history, we don’t want to become mired in the past.

If you're donating to a food pantry for Thanksgiving, pick up the last few items to add to your box and set a time to deliver it late in the week, perhaps Sat. or Sunday. This will give the pantry time to unpack your donation and see that it is put to good use.

If you are sending gifts through the US Postal Service, consider stopping and picking up Priority boxes, before the size you need is gone. When I was last there, there were still plenty available, but last year I got the last one of the size I needed. I try to keep one of each size that I typically use on hand, to avoid the last minute rush.

If you're hosting Thanksgiving, double check your table linens for stains. Treat and wash them, and break out the iron (if needed). Check to make sure you have ample seating for guests, and if not, ask family members to borrow a card table or two and extra folding chairs. Also, start pulling serving pieces, making sure they're clean and ready to use. Post-it notes or index cards can be used to label each serving dish with what it should be used for. Give thought to your centerpiece and start arranging it, if it is long-lasting. We've got a little more than a week, so it's time to dig deep. Let's do it!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
No for us it's not the time for the attic... starting to be too cold. Have to do it in spring (before it's too hot) or in september, october. I have been taking things out of there slowly (the trap door is in garage). My Halloween and Christmas decor is no longer up there (yay!) still have some Halloween costumes and some toys for the children. It used to be FULL of stuff, it's about half of what it used to be. But we can't use it all. dh has put planks so we can walk in there but not everywhere.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
No attic here just the crawl space. We could use it for storage but my husband can barely get through the opening and it would involve a ladder.
Im working through my updated to do list again. The trees I wanted to decorate are done. I finished wrapping the gift baskets, they will go under one of the trees until time for delivery. Need to do some general housekeeping. Otherwise plan to work on my quilt again this week

Reactions: Lori K

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I emptied my attic as few years ago. Boy or boy was it filled with stuff we never gave a second thought after we put it in there. Come time to leave this house empty attic! I do have a half crawl space and that is where we store our Christmas trees. I thought about moving them to the garage but we get mice in the winter and I just know the would find their way in side somehow.

I have been decorating, which according to my personalized HGP countdown was last week duties. I was not in the mood and knew I had time. The main area is done but for the trees which will get done after we get back from MN I still have to do a little in the family room and some in the kitchen. I kept going to the totes to looking for more and there wasn't any more. I knew I culled my decorations but don't remember what exactly I didn't keep (that's okay don't have regrets) It's just the right amount. I do know that I would like to replace some of my garlands I have our mostly greens and white/ivory decor I took off all the red items tie on the greenery I had and will add it once the trees are up. In January, I will put the reds away and I will have winter decoration for a while. The kitchen will have a sprinkle of gingerbread houses and men and the family room a small about of decorations. When it is time to put it away I will be glad I didn't overdo as I have in the past.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We do not have an attic. I wish we did it would be great storage.