HGP 2023 – Week 13 – Dining Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It’s almost turkey time here in the USA. Is your dining room ready? This year, I’m not hosting, so there’s less stress. But I know time is tight for many of you, so let’s keep this one short.

As with other weeks, start high and work your way down – a quick sweep of the ceiling corners, and some spritz and wipe on the dining room light fixture. Get all the furniture polished and any glass inserts on your china cabinet or buffet cleaned. Then give the floor a good sweep / damp mop / vacuum, depending on your finish.

If this is your everyday place to eat your meals, you may want to forgo some of this until later in the week; if not, my recommendation is to get started. Since it’s almost time for the holiday dinner, make sure your table configuration is the right size for your group. Go ahead and add the table leaf inserts and break out the folding chairs. Make sure they are wiped down and cob-web free, if they've been in storage. Then check your tablecloth. Is it pressed or does it need to be tumbled in the dryer? Add it to the table, then arrange your centerpiece and get it placed.

Pull your serving pieces, so they’re good to go. When I’m hosting, I like to put a Post-it Note or slip of paper in each, itendifying what will go in it, so I know I’ve got what I need handy on Thanksgiving and am not scrambling for a bowl for the mashed potatoes. It's also helpful if your DSis or Aunt comes in to help you with plating and serving -- they can see at a glance what bowl or platter to use.

Consider setting the table, as well – or at least pulling out the plates, etc. and having them ready to make each place setting. While your pieces are out of the hutch, wipe down the shelves. Also, double-check your serving spoons, meat fork, and other pieces so they are ready for use, perhaps even setting them with the bowl or platter for which they'll be used. If you’re using any stemware, check for any water marks or smudges since they were last used. It’s amazing how much dust and stale air gets inside a cabinet or hutch. And don't forget to make sure that the salt and pepper shakers are filled and on the table. Maybe even fill the sugar bowl and set it near your coffee maker. (TIP from DGMa's house: When making the first pot of coffee on a holiday morning, Gram would measure out coffee for two or three more pots and put each in a small snack container next to the coffee pot. Coffee for after dinner was pre-measured and she didn't have to fumble with the bulky canister -- or let on what brand of coffee she used.)

Stand back and look around. Picture how beautiful your table will look, filled with the love of your family surrounding you.

Happy Thanksgiving, my MHH family!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The dining room is on the to do list for this week. I only have it and the laundry to do and I am done. With a bit of time management I will complete the HGP this year with a few weeks to spare. (Fingers crossed).

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I always set up my buffet and table early when I was working. Like you , I labeled all the serving pieces. Table was set a few days in advance and everything was covered with a extra tablecloth to keep the dust off. I also made up a time table of everything that needed done starting at when I got home in the morning from work. It including oven temps and baking times so I had everything in from of me. My husband helper had his own time table. Not that I am bossy, he was always willing to help, it helped things run more smoothly and we were not falling over each other.
Not much to do this week. Will pick up dinner on Wednesday. Fall will come down on Friday and I’ll finish decorating. I’ve decided not to go shopping but I will check things out online for gifts for next year. Will continue quilting the Christmas quilt.

Reactions: luludou and Lori K

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
It’s been so long since we have had a crowd for dinner I forgot one other thing I did. I made sure I had a variety of take home containers (that didn’t need returned) for my guests. We had elderly parents and my SIL was disabled so it was nice to send home a meal with them.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It’s been so long since we have had a crowd for dinner I forgot one other thing I did. I made sure I had a variety of take home containers (that didn’t need returned) for my guests. We had elderly parents and my SIL was disabled so it was nice to send home a meal with them.
Great idea! Think I'll take some with me to my DD's tomorrow.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul