HGP 2023 -- Week 10 - Family Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Welcome all to WEEK TEN!!!

Here we go!

The family room is the heart of the home, and never more so than during the holiday season. We’ll clean and organize this central area of family life as we begin to think ahead to holiday visitors.

In holiday prep, we’ll celebrate Halloween, then recycle autumn decorations to look forward to Thanksgiving. Keep working on those gifts!

Ready? Let’s get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

Holiday Prep​

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles.
  • Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones.
  • DO NOT shampoo carpet – partying people spill things.
  • Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests’ coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage.
See the link above for a very nice breakdown of cleaning tasks for the Family Room!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My family room is my everyday room, so it gets deep cleaned more freqently than some of my other rooms. I have an open kitchen with an island, a small kitchen nook for meals, and it is all connected to my family room. My plans are to get the family room done in one or two days, and then focus on my office on the lower level -- could take 2 weeks all by itself!!!

Living Room Checklist
Dust cornices and artwork on the wall
Dust blinds
Clean windows on inside
Move furniture and wash down all baseboards
Wash floor before moving furniture back into place

Vacuum area rug
Vacuum couches and fluff pillows / cushions
Polish end tables and console under TV
Dust TV and electronics shelving
Check iPod for Christmas playlist
Sort and stow dog toys
Wash dog bed

Arrange for office carpet cleaning and ask about family room area rug (very matted down in high traffic areas; previous cleaning has not helped)

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
A light week here since cleaning is done.
Finished my cards tonight while watching the Browns. Everything is sorted by the date they need to go out.
Have a list of things, not all for this week. Just things that I think of that need taken care of at some point.
I do want to move things to make room for the tree in the sunroom. A few plants will go upstairs so it’s not so cluttered.
Will work on my Christmas quilt the rest of the week.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Argh ... some of this is not going to get done. Just took on a freelance project this morning and am going to lose at least 2-3 days!!!!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lori, the front of our house is like yours...all open, so stays pretty clean most of the time. Kitchen with snack bar between it and breakfast nook, open to living, dining area. One wall divides kitchen from dining area, but all is open. There are three doors. Front door comes into dining area on west side of house. Another door into living area from south end of house. Third door comes off carport into breakfast nook area on the east side. It all has to stay clean...lol.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, the front of our house is like yours...all open, so stays pretty clean most of the time. Kitchen with snack bar between it and breakfast nook, open to living, dining area. One wall divides kitchen from dining area, but all is open. There are three doors. Front door comes into dining area on west side of house. Another door into living area from south end of house. Third door comes off carport into breakfast nook area on the east side. It all has to stay clean...lol.
Yep! I"m in a 3-story townhome. Front door and foyer are 1/2 flight down (and another 1/2 flight down to my office, furnace room, and garage entrance). Main floor has three doors -- to the powder room, LOL, on the pantry (former broom closet), and small coat closet. Living room and formal dining are in one large area in the front, with a 1/2 divider wall on the back side separating it from the kitchen. The kitchen is separated by the two-tiered island from the family room and area for a small kitchenette with patio doors to the deck. It all has to be kept fairly organized or it all looks like a mess.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Got most of the things done on my list.
The sunroom is pretty much arranged for the tree to go up. I have one hoya plant that decided to bloom so it will stay put until next week. Furnace has been serviced. landscape people are coming either tomorrow or the first of the week to put my flower beds to sleep for the winter. And I got to work on my quilt.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Family room is done. I am feeling a little bit behind at the moment with being extra busy at work. Not panicking just yet but am starting to feel the pinch.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lots to finish up in this room, at some point. And it's really not that bad!!!! Just lost momentum mid-week.