HGP 2023 -- Week 5 -- Master Bathroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Can you believe it? WEEK 5, already! We’re not quite 1/3 of the way through … but time is flying. We’re already at WEEK 5, and it’s time to tackle the MASTER BATHROOM. And, in looking at the HGP, this is the ONLY bathroom that’s on the schedule. What about the main bathroom that the kids and/or overnight guests use? What about the power room that everyone uses??? Consider tackling those, too, if you can fit it in this week. In fact, you may want to tackle those that your guests and other visitors see first, before doing the one that only you and your hubs/significant other see.

As with other rooms, start from the top and work your way down. Get into all the corners and ceiling angles and remove all those dust bunnies. Be sure to look for streaks above your shower and tub, where steam may have dribbled down and left smears. Tackle the lights over your vanity and any other lights in there (I have a can light over the shower, another can light over the tub, and a vent fan with built-in light over the toilet, in addition to the vanity lights). Don’t forget to wipe down the top edge of the tile in the shower – the moisture and dust can really build up.

Get the bowl cleaned and disinfected, and remember to wipe down the outside, too. Including the rim and behind the lid, arothe outside of the bowl, the water box and the top. Give the sinks, tub, and shower stall a good wash-down. What about your bathmats? Can they be salvaged with a good scrub on the underside, or do they need to be replaced? Launder the shower curtain and check the liner. Is it ready for replacement? How are your towels and washcloths holding up? Time to throw the bath rugs into the washer, too.

What about your countertop containers – soap dish, liquid soap and lotion dispensers? Make sure all of the pump dispensers are still working and not clogged up. Do you use “holiday” scented sprays or similar in your bathroom? Are the sprays still working? Diffusers? Wax melts? Do you have a good supply of TP to get you through the holidays?

Lastly, remember the baseboards, and give the floor a complete scrub down, especially around the toilet area and into the grout. And don’t forget to wipe down your bathroom door and sanitize the door handles, inside and out.

Now is the time to go through your medicine cabinet, too, and rid your long-outdated OTC meds. Make a list of what you need to stock up on for the winter cold and flu season. Keep all those meds and supplies together, so you can easily tend to a fever and congestion. Know where your thermometer, heating pad, Vicks vapor rub, decongestants and cough drops are located. As a single female living alone, and speaking from experience, it’s better to be prepared and not need to use these items, than to need them and find that you don’t have them on hand and have to go out to get some.

A couple of links with lists of what to keep in your first-aid kit –

Must-Haves for Your First-Aid Kit
From the Centers for Disease and Prevention
First-Aid Kits: Stock Supplies that can Save Lives
From the Mayo Clinic

Also, beginning Monday (Sept. 25), if you’re in the US, you can order a new supply of free at-home Covid tests through https://www.covidtests.gov. You can also double-check expiration dates for ones you may still have, as some expiration dates have been extended. If you feel the need to have some tests on hand, consider placing an order for home delivery, so you have them in-house should you need to test.

If you keep your bathroom cleaning supplies under the sink, can any be combined with supplies elsewhere in the house and perhaps free up space. Also check your supply of TP and Kleenex and, if needed, watch for stock-up sales as the holiday season nears.

Use the same procedure in other bathrooms throughout your home. We want these areas to sparkle, too.

Other Holiday Prep –
  • Add a batch of Holiday cookies or other baked goods to your freezer.
  • Add a freezer meal, labeled with content and cooking instructions.
  • Add canned goods to your donation box.
  • If you’re shopping for gift-giving, buy 1/8 of what’s on your list; ask about the store’s return policy, get gift receipts to keep with the gift, and save your receipts in a centralized location.
  • When going through your bathrooms, do you have any items for a donation bag? Any sample size toiletries that could be donated to a shelter? Any old towels that could go to an animal rescue group?
  • Take a look at your holiday outfits. Do they still fit? Are they showing signs of wear? What about the outfits for other family members? If new items are needed, make a note of sizes and gather measurements, if you can.
Don't feel overwhelmed. Just break things down into smaller tasks and see how many you can cross off your list. And know that we're all in this together and are here to support one another. Ready? Let's get started!

Reactions: luludou

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My WEEK 5 to-do list:

Powder room
  • Dust ceiling and picture
  • Clean light fixtures and vent fan
  • Toilet (thorough) – bowl, exterior of bowl, water tank, rim and behind lid, and lid itself.
  • Sink and countertop.
  • Clean mirror
  • Clean baseboards
  • Organize under-sinkstorage and check finger towels used for holidays.
  • Clean powder room door and handles
  • Clean powder room floor
Guest Bathroom
  • Dust ceiling and picture
  • Clean tub and above tile
  • Check bathmat and shower curtain liner.
  • Launder shower curtain and rug
  • Toilet (thorough) – bowl, exterior of bowl, water tank, rim and behind lid, and lid itself.
  • Sink and countertop.
  • Clean mirror
  • Organize under-sink storage and drawers.
  • Check guest towels.
  • Clean door and handles
  • Clean baseboards
  • Mop floor
Master Bathroom
  • Dust ceiling
  • Hang artwork (that I’ve had for 3 years and have yet to hang)
  • Clean tub & sanitize jets.
  • Clean shower interior and tile above
  • Clean exterior shower glass and trim
  • Launder rugs
  • Sink and countertop.
  • Clean mirror
  • Clean baseboards
  • Organize under-sink storage and drawers (left side undercounter and 2 drawers; right side undercounter and 2 drawers)
  • Clean door and handles
  • Mop floor
  • Linen closet (2nd master bedroom closet used for linens)
  • Organize and weed linens.
  • Organize and weed meds.
  • Inventory TP for all bathrooms / Kleenex for all areas
  • Compile a list of what is needed to replace expired or to restock items running low.

Last edited:
Reactions: luludou and halimer

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lol, I have 3 full baths! I always wondered why the other ones aren’t included.
My baths are done, one of my least favorite things to clean.
This week I have several appointments so I won’t get a lot done. Apple sauce is cooling on the counter so it will soon be time to clean the kitchen.
I found my stock up shopping list after I made up a new one. Shopping was on my list last week but this week is a triple point day so I pushed it to this week. I include crackers, chicken soup, Gatorade and ginger ale as part of my stock up for cold and flu season. Would like to do a little more Christmas shopping while I’m out.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lol, I have 3 full baths! I always wondered why the other ones aren’t included.
I have 2 full + a powder room. Have been following the HGP for prob 20 years and this is the first time I realized that. I started flipping through my notebook. Wait, where is the guest bathroom??? Where is the powder room??? LOL!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a main bathroom and an ensuite for my bedroom, they are both roughly the same size. The main bathroom also has a separate toilet.
I can manage to have all done in one day if I concentrate and work at it. My bathrooms have already been done as I needed them ready for the house inspection last week. This week I will HGP my Sun room and hope to get a bit more prep done, freezers tidied ready for some wrapping party meals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Powder room is done. This room gets cleaned regularly. But, boy, was that under sink a mess, and both sides of the six-panel door were filthy! Must have been the dry weather and extra dust we had over the summer ... or, that's what I'm telling myself. At least everything is now clean and sparkling, and I just need to stay on top of it.

Also got most of the guest (main full) bathroom done. Just have to clean the light fixture and mop the floor. (Normally, I'd start with the ceiling and light fixtures, but my duster and stepladder were downstairs.)

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am going to do my craft room next. I have been getting in there often after doing all the UFOs I did in July. I will straighten, dust, clean and then, hopefully when I get the rest of the rooms done and I am ready I will go in and do a final sort and what is left over will be donated in time for others to use this Christmas season. I have 4 rooms left and should be done by the first of November with the cleaning. After that it will be decorating for Christmas, wrapping, cooking, baking, enjoying the holidys.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I did some decluttering in the laundry room yesterday not sure it will stay that way. I hope to get back in there tomorrow to finish up. It's a small room but dusty.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
All that's left in the master bathroom is the right two drawers and under-sink portion of the cabinet. That may/may not get done today. And there's the 2nd master closet, which I use for linen storage and medicines, since there's not a medicine cabinet to be had in this place. Close, and I'll get there, hopefully before the week ends and we begin Week 6.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Stock up shopping is done, painful, but done. Did a little more Christmas shopping too. I’ve decide to get my cookies done before I tackle the kitchen. Ground nuts today. Will make Mexican wedding cakes tomorrow and mix up dough for the next kind to finish Saturday.

Reactions: halimer

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Got everything completed, with the exception of hanging a piece of artwork. It fits (and looks best) over the tub. But it has glass and I'm afraid of what would happen if it fell into the tub, not only if someone (me) was in it, but if it fell into the dry tub, as well. Need to find out if I can replace glass with plexi. If so, I'll go that route and then hang it. (It's a jetted tub, so there is some vibration which may impact a hanging.)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are all doing so well. Week 5 is done, looking forward to Week 6.

Reactions: Lori K