HGP 2023 -- WEEK 7 – GUEST ROOM

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Sliding into Week 7 – the GUEST ROOM. If you’re expecting overnight guest for the holidays, albeit Thanksgiving or Christmas, or any time in-between, you want your guests to have a good experience. So, let’s tackle the room where your guests will stay and make sure everything’s in tip-top shape.

Like we did with the Master Bedroom, start at the top and get all those corners cleaned out. Take a look at the light fixture / ceiling fan and give it a good cleaning. Don’t forget to get the topside of any fan blades, and double-check to make sure all the light bulbs are working. Like in the other rooms, give the windows a good cleaning and launder any curtains and/or dust any blinds. If this room doesn’t get used often, let the breeze in to help remove any “stale” smells.

Check the mattress to make sure it’s still comfy for your guests. This is especially important if your guests will be sleeping on a fold out sofa bed. If that’s the case, consider leaving it open to make sure that the mattress is firm enough to be comfortable. There’s nothing worse than feeling springs or a support bar during your stay. Check the comfort level, and consider how you would feel sleeping there for a night or two. Does it need a mattress topper or some memory foam? And then take a look at your guest bed sheets and blankets. Are they still serviceable? What about the pillows? Do any need a new pillow-cover? Run them through the washer to make sure that any stains and smells are removed. If you need to replace any bedding, add the items to your list and start watching for good buys.

As you are dusting the furniture, make sure to check any nightstand or dresser drawers, to make sure at least a couple are empty. If you’re expecting guests for a longer length of time, they may appreciate having a drawer or two available, so they’re not living out of their suitcase. Consider dropping a sachet in each drawer, if they haven’t been opened in awhile. Do the same for the closet, and make sure there is a selection of empty hangers for your guest(s) to use during their stay. This way you won’t be searching around for them, should they be needed.

Lastly, give the floors and baseboards a good cleaning and/or vacuuming. If there are throw rugs in your guest room, make sure they are clean and ready for your guests. To help your guests during their stay, consider their evening habits. Perhaps select a nice tray, coaster, and glass for them to use for bedside water. You might want to leave a tablet and pen or a book of short stories or poetry for bedtime reading, in case their time zone is different from yours or they battle insomnia. The goal is to make their stay as enjoyable as you can.

Think of who may be coming to stay during the holidays. Lets get that guest room ready for their visit.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Guest room was finished for me when I complete the upstairs.
Working on finishing the kitchen this week. Husband needs to move the appliances so I can clean behind them. Hopefully that will be sooner than later. Then I’ll mop and kitchen is done.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My Guest room is in use right now. It has been cleaned but will need the linens washed and mattress Tuesday.
tomorrow I will start the Family and see if I can't get it done by Friday at the latest. That leaves the kitchen for next week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I worked on the kitchen last week as we had a new dishwasher installed and I needed to empty 3 cupboards. Just made sense to finish the kitchen. Will get to the guest room next.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My houseguest left early this morning. She was so kind and stripped the bed linens and stacked them with the towels she'd used -- all ready for the laundry. I got everything washed, towels folded, the guest bathroom cleaned, and am waiting for the sheets to dry. I'll remake the bed once the sheets are dry and that room will be ready for holiday guests.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Had guests over the weekend so I deep-cleaned the rooms last week. yay, done!

Reactions: Lori K

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Kitchen is done! Chimney sweep was here this afternoon. I spent a good part of the day going through piles of papers that I’ve been avoiding. I’ve taken care of everything but 1 pile of estate stuff that will be finished next week and a post it note, waiting on someone to call me back. I even took care of the Medicare part D that I was dreading.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I even took care of the Medicare part D that I was dreading.
Oh? I was told I couldn't do Part D until the 15th. Interesting. I already know what I want as I was on the phone with Medicare last week to confirm coverage of a procedure and he helped me with both Medigap and Part D possibilities. I wanted to check the rating on the Medigap and take a good look at Part D. I just learned that I can change Medigap plans during enrollment. I was under the belief that it was only Advantage participates could change providers.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
You can’t physically sign up for 2024 but you can go on Medicare.gov and look at all the new plans for 2024. I don’t bother looking at the supplements because we love the plans we have. My husband is on several meds including Januvia which is expensive so I always check out the part D plans. You plug in all your meds and the pharmacies you use and it rates them according to which is the least expensive. It was a hassle changing my husbands part D last time and that’s why I tend to drag my feet. He’s keeping his same plan thankfully and so am I. Does your state do the Medicare seminars? In Ohio they are free, put on by the state not an insurance company. They are really helpful!