HGP 2023 -- WEEK 8 - KITCHEN WEEK

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Week 8 has arrived!

If you are working on the kitchen during week 8 of the HGP you probably have a good size to do list. This area isn't called the heart of the home for nothing!

There are just SO many things in this space that require cleaning!!! Cupboards and drawers, nooks and crannies, counter top appliances and big appliances and kitchen gadgets, oh my!!!

It's enough to make ME want to follow the yellow brick road, let me tell you! :D But have faith! Break it down, make a list and begin to tackle each thing. Steal 5 minutes for a drawer before you run out the door to XYZ sport practice! After dinner dishes empty and clean the cupboard under the sink - or another drawer.

Because the one NICE thing about Kitchen week is that there are so many little jobs like that! You could sprinkle them about your day and still get a LOT done by the end of the week!

1697377478854.png

Here are a few helpful things I found when perusing my Pinterest boards for kitchen cleaning related items:

Greasing a Kitchen Aide Mixer

Cleaning Stains off Baking Sheets

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
HGP Week 8 To Do List:
  • Clean off/Dust/Wipe down top of fridge
  • Pull out the fridge, vacuum behind, underneath, etc.
  • Dust top of china hutch, copper vent, pendant lights, chandelier, etc.
  • Wash down outside of all cupboards and appliances
    • Remember Kitchen aide, NuWave, etc.
  • Clean out inside of fridge and organize remaining contents
  • Clean microwave inside and out using VINEGAR MAGIC TRICK
    • Clean off top of microwave
  • Clean the air fryer
  • Clean the Kitchen Aide
  • Clean cutting board with lemon/salt trick
  • Empty, clean and refill each drawer
    • Silverware
    • Bowls
    • Large Items in drawer underneath bowls
    • Utensils
    • Pots/Pans
    • Spices, etc.
      • Vacuum out spilled spices
    • Plates
    • Large items in drawer underneath plates
    • Drawer under microwave
    • DS’s water bottle drawer
    • Round Glassware with lids drawer
    • Tupperware drawer
    • Drawer under Kitchen Aide
    • Over oven
    • Under oven
  • Empty, clean and refill each cabinet
    • Glasses IN PROGRESS
      • Very top shelf still needs it!
    • Over pantry
    • Above ovens
    • Above coffee pot
    • Above air fryer
    • Under sink
    • Over Refrigerator
    • Under Island (Kitchen Aide)
    • Under Island (Cookbooks)
    • Under Island (Bowls)
  • Clean UNDERside of the kitchen cabinets along the counter (especially near coffee maker area!)
  • Clean sink and drains
  • Clean dish drainer
  • Clean sponge or replace
  • Run a lemon rind through garbage disposal
  • Clean the dishwasher
  • Deep clean stove top
    • Barkeeper’s Friend?
    • Weiman’s Heavy Duty cooktop cleaner with Weiman’s red scrub pad?
  • Clean grates – Deep Clean Option: Set outside (sun is good) in plastic garbage bag with ¼ cup ammonia in bag – close up and let sit overnight – open outside – grates will need to be washed lightly with warm soapy water but crud should come right off
  • Clean underside of vent hood
  • Clean tile backsplash
  • Clean ovens, outside and inside as needed
  • Empty and clean countertops
  • Empty toaster of crumbs, wipe down outside (use baking soda or cream of tartar paste for the outside)
  • Clean cast iron?
  • Clean dog bowls/stands
  • Clean wall behind/area around dog bowls
  • Clean floor vent grates
  • Vacuum
    • Including under cabinets along stove wall/island on sink side
  • Mop/Polish floor
  • Remind DH to Change Furnace Filter DONE
  • Outdoor Prep for Winter
    • Take up all hoses and store
    • Turn off outside faucets
    • Empty deck pots (save geraniums and dahlias for next year)
HOLIDAY PREP TASKS:
  • Verbally and/or via text invite everyone for Christmas dinner party on Saturday, December 2nd
  • Make two to three freezer meals/apps or meal components
  • START wrapping/hiding gifts
  • Buy at least 2 stocking stuffers and/or Advent items
  • Buy Halloween candy DONE
  • Play Monster Mash at breakfast

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Will share a cleaning hack from the early days of microaves, I think I got this from my mom. Fill a glass measuring cup (or other microwave-safe bowl) with 1/4 c. lemon juice and about 1/2 c. of water. Microwave until it boils and then boil for 2-3 minutes, depending on how dirty your microwave is. Let it stand for 5 minutes. The citrus helps soften any splatters and they should wipe clean. Repeat with the same water, if it needs a second treatment.

I'll be playing Kitchen Week catch-up when I'm back next week. See you all next Sunday morning!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
SUCH a great trick @Lori K and it works!

I have always just used straight vinegar in a glass cereal bowl - cooked on high for 3-4 minutes - let site for 3-4 - and all the crud wipes clean like magic!

It is a really strong smell of vinegar though. Doesn't bother me because I'm used to it from canning. But DH absolutely HATES it. So I may try the lemon juice/water combo instead.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I use plain water to clean my microwave. But I do use vinegar to clean my Keurig in stead of their cleaning solutions.
I haven’t run my self cleaning ovens yet because I’ve been using them. Other than that kitchen is done. My try to do either the garage or finish the basement.
going to a grocery store this week that supposedly has parsley root. I’ve heard that before only to find out the produce people do not know their produce. If I can find it I’ll make chicken soup for Christmas this week.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I bought my DS some air fryer liners - parchment kind - and he says they are great. Might make it easier to clean the air fryer.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Didn’t know they made those! Are they brand specific? Would make a nice gift for my son.
If you can't find them, I bet parchment paper could be cut to fit. Not so gift friendly, but...

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thanks! I looked on kohls and texted my son to see what kind of basket he had. I had a 40% off coupon an kohls cash so they are on their way! I didn’t even know they existed, thanks for mentioning them.
Jane thanks for mentioning parchment paper, I need to add that to my list for him.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will look at those liners and see if they fit our air fryer and if they post to Australia.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have finished my kitchen. We got a new dishwasher 2 weeks ago and had to empty 3 cupboards for the installer. I thought I may as well complete the kitchen then. Now I see all of these amazing ideas from AJ and want to go back and clean it again.
I need a "binder" to store all these hints in

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Productive week here. Basement is done. Thanksgiving, Halloween, birthday, and Christmas cards (except for the exchange cards) are done. Advent calendar is ordered and on its way. Nuts and pecan stuffed dates are ordered. Still working on finding parsley root for soup.

Reactions: halimer

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Busy week here! Lot of little wrenches thrown in the wheel of life - which seems to be our lot right now! :rolleyes: {shrug}

I did not get through most of my kitchen week list but I did get through some of it. Even having that little bit done feels better than nothing.

I did get all the freezers (2 uprights and 2 fridge freezers) cleaned out and organized - which technically was on the list for this coming week. I felt like I needed to see how much room I have for freezing cookies, etc. Also trying to do a better a job of cooking at home - using up what I have in the freezer. Feel much better about doing that now!

Did get some freezer cooking done too. And got all but one (heaviest) piece of deck furniture carried down and put away with DS's help.

Rest of week was taken up with work (very intense with multiple projects and go lives right now) and doctor appointments, blood work, grocery shopping, vet visits, etc.

I did take DS to Thistleberry Farms yesterday for a few hours and it was beautiful out! Corn mazes, hay ride, etc. I was surprised he wanted to go still - but apparently 13 is not "too old" for it yet. :D

Reactions: halimer and luludou