HGP Week 3 – Entryway / Foyer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
So, in Week 1 we tackled the front porch. Last week the focus was on the Living Room. And now it’s time for us to open our front door and tackle the ENTRYWAY. In addition, this may also be the week to focus on your mud room or the entryway that you use most on a daily basis.

Begin by looking at where things seem to be piled up. How can we encourage our families to not leave things laying out and, instead, putting them where they belong. Begin by making sure everything has a place and all items are in their place. If you have a throw rug, now is the time to give it a good washing and damp mop the floors underneath to make sure all grime and dirt are thoroughly removed. Pull any chairs or benches away from the walls and make sure to wipe down the baseboards and tackle the floor underneath. Are there any scuff marks to attend to? Are any paint touch-ups needed?

Give any furniture in the foyer a thorough dusting, including the feet of any benches or cabinets. And remember to give any sidelight, transom, or door windows a good cleaning – and check for streaks or those few remaining puppy nose prints that require extra elbow grease. Also give the ceiling and corners a good dusting and shine up the light fixture. While doing that, double-check for any light bulbs that may need to be replaced.

Do you have any plants in your entryway? Any baskets or cubbies? Go through them and make sure all hats still fit, scarves are in usable condition, and all mittens and gloves have a match. Take a look at the planter. Does it need extra soil? Does the pot need a good cleaning? Take care of it now, while it’s in the forefront of your mind and before you move it back in place after the floor is dry. If you have pet items stowed in the foyer area, consider placing a container of air freshener in there to help absorb any lingering odors from those rainy days when you get that “wet dog smell”.

Lastly, break out your sanitizing products and give the door knobs -- in and out, and the light switches a thorough cleaning to remove any germs that may have landed there. We want to make sure our entryway remains as healthy as possible.

Stand back and give your entryway a good look. Then come back in through the front door, looking at the foyer from the point of view of a houseguest. Have you taken care of everything? Is there any artwork or other décor that needs freshening? Are you going to decorate this area for the holidays? Do you have everything you want / need for when that decor needs to be placed? Now is the time to double-check and add items to the shopping list and tackle any projects in your entryway.

On the FOOD PREP to attend to this week –

If you do any meal-prep for the holidays, make ahead one freezer meal to have on hand. Be sure to label it and include cooking instructions.

Plan any holiday baking and make sure you have the necessary ingredients. If you'll need anything for your baking day(s), add it to the holiday grocery list. Check your flour and sugar .. vanilla, confectioner's sugar for frosting, baking spray, coconut, nuts ... These items will likely be going on sale in the coming weeks, so have your list ready.

If you are grocery shopping this week, pick up a few items from your non-perishable shopping list to ensure that you have your menu and baking items on hand. Remember to add items for your donation box, if you’re planning to support a food drive this year.

So, are you ready to begin WEEK 3? Crank up the music, and let’s get moving!

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My plan of attack –
  • Sidelight and transom windows on the inside (lots of puppy nose prints)
  • Scrub main foyer floor
  • Wash throw rugs
  • Bench – clean wood
  • Bench – organize baskets
  • Clean baseboards in main foyer
  • Thoroughly vacuum stairs -- from office to foyer, foyer to main living area, living area to upstairs landing, landing to bedrooms
  • Clean stairwell baseboards -- from office to foyer, foyer to main living area, living area to upstairs landing, landing to bedrooms
  • Sanitize handrails, door knobs, light switches, and switch plates
  • Clean ledge
  • Wash inside of main entry door
  • Wash light fixture and check bulbs
  • Dust artwork
  • Clean furnace room bi-fold doors and furnace room wall vent
  • Damp-mop entryway from garage to furnace room
  • Clean baseboards in lower entryway
  • Touch up baseboards in lower level entry way
  • Paint basement door, inside and out
  • Check flashlight batteries (for safe pup-walks when it's dark out)
  • Schedule furnace tune-up for mid-Sept.
  • Schedule carpet cleaning (office area only)
To buy:
  • Baseboard paint
  • Paint for metal door
  • Check thrift stores for a Currier & Ives-type winter print for over foyer bench (I currently have a Mystic River harbor print there. It's OK for the summer, but would like something more seasonal for the winter. Ideal would be a vintage Christmas needlepoint.)

And for a Ladies Night Out fundraiser I'm co-hosting on Weds. evening, bake a batch each of zucchini and apple bread in small loaf pans and wrap for donation table. Prepare veggie tray for fundraiser.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My entry way and porch are both tiny so I combine the two in one week. Happily they are both done for this year but I will go back and revisit after this weeks HGP jobs are complete. Maintenance is the key for me.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Entryway and Living room are the cleaning areas this week. My entry is a small coat closet 4x4 square of vinyl tiles. I can't start tomorrow as I have plans with DD. It is her birthday and her sister's birthday. They are 3 years apart. Not planned just happened. DS the oldest was not happy as he wanted a brother. He was 6 when youngest DD was born.

I am thinking this area will take me most of the week with all that's on my schedule.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
CLEANING Tasks...
  • Leftover Living Room Tasks
    • Dust /Clean vents
    • Touch up concrete stain on hearth (nicks in finish)
    • Clean floor fan
    • Finish windows
  • Entry Way Tasks
    • Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
    • Dust light fixture
    • Wipe down/Polish inside of door
    • Magic Eraser walls as needed/Touch up paint if needed
    • Clean light switches, vent covers
    • Wipe down outside of bench/Trim on red bench
    • Wash tile floor
    • Scrub down boot trays outside on deck - dry and put in place under benches
HOLIDAY PREP this week...
  • Review all list documents from List week - update - able to finalize? If not, schedule reminders later in the plan
  • Make at least two freezer meals or meal components
  • Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List
  • Buy Halloween candy (look for best deal with sale/coupons)
  • Halloween Decor Planning
    • Review decor items DONE
    • Decide on front porch/walkway decor DONE
    • Plan Trunk or Treat setup for this year (Inflatables, etc.) and plan for making anything needed!
      • Document ALL items needed for the party, including decor (Lawnchairs, etc.)
  • Buy at least 2 stocking stuffers and/or Advent gifts
  • Decorate for fall !!!! DONE
  • Craft Christmas Gifts

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Started working in the basement this week. I was doing the exercise/ spare office area. Difficult area because of the exercise equipment, desk and that is my wrapping/ gift closet. Will keep picking away, already decided to get rid of a few things.
I finally found cabbage at a decent price: 1$ a head instead of .98 cents a pound. Spent today packing cabbage leaves in kraut and grinding pork. Will put them together over the weekend so we will have freezer meals and my cabbage rolls for Christmas will be done.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have hung my fall wreath up and last night Dh and I carried in the indoor plants that were on the porch while the tile and carpet went in. Good thing because it was down to 38F/3.33C last night. There still is dirt to clean up from where some animal knocked over several plants. And all the floors are brand new tile and carpet. And baseboards are clean. They could use a polish so I may do that.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just added a couple of items to my to-do list above for the entryways / foyer (main foyer area and entryway from the garage). Whoever thought white fixed slatted bi-fold doors were a good idea for furnace rooms is an idiot, a total fool, and someone who never lifted a finger (or even attempted) to clean those suckers. Just sayin' .... Added an hour to my cleaning plan for the day and they're still not the way I'd like them to be. Marking this task for follow-up during a long winter day in January or February.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just added a couple of items to my to-do list above for the entryways / foyer (main foyer area and entryway from the garage). Whoever thought white fixed slatted bi-fold doors were a good idea for furnace rooms is an idiot, a total fool, and someone who never lifted a finger (or even attempted) to clean those suckers. Just sayin' .... Added an hour to my cleaning plan for the day and they're still not the way I'd like them to be. Marking this task for follow-up during a long winter day in January or February.
Are the doors something that could be easily replaced with something more practical? If the budget and time allows it may be something to consider.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Are the doors something that could be easily replaced with something more practical? If the budget and time allows it may be something to consider.
Something I need to research. They may be needed because of air circulation. It was just so disappointing to expect to simply dust them and have streaks all over that then required cleaning. If I can find some assistance taking them down, I may take them out to the driveway, put them on sawhorses, and break out the hose and a bucket. Just couldn't deal with it today when I felt I needed to stay on task and timeline.

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have the living room clean with the exception of 2 items of silver to polish and decorating. I vacuumed the humiture cleaned the windows, doors, light switches, and polished one item of silver.
Hope to polish another item of sliver and decorate for fall tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Something I need to research. They may be needed because of air circulation.
That makes sense now that you mention it. Hopefully you can find an easier way to clean them.