HHP - Week 3 - Me and Mine

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi,

I thought I'd post for this week - http://christmas.organizedhome.com/house-holidays-plan/03-me-and-mine-week

This week we look at the Master Bedroom and prepping for mailing and writing out Christmas Cards.

I've let books and gifts accumulate in one corner of the bedroom. I need to really work on organizing that section. I will see what cards we have. I usually buy Christmas Cards after Christmas. I'm not sure it got done last year with the various activities going on.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the reminder Holiday Mom. I really should look through my Christmas card supply and check that I have suitable cards. If not I shall write it in my diary.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Not sure how far I will get this week as life in general is very hectic this week.

I am fine for cards, etc but desperately need wrap- too early here though. This year I have made a note to purchase 2 years worth so that I can wrap in advance next year! I have ordered pretty ribbon and waiting for it to be delivered.

I started today on my bedroom- it is a really relaxing space that I love. No major design changes needed. I tend not to collect visible clutter in this room but need to go through the drawers- things seem to accumulate there. I will also need to put away the winter jumpers etc and take a whole lot to the cleaners- but that will need to wait til later in the week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Today I'm loading up the entire SUV with the clothing that we are purging and heading to Goodwill. This was mostly formalwear and winter wear from the storage room. It's still to warm down here to make the switch from warm weather clothing to cool weather clothing. I'll take some time in October to make the seasonal transition with the clothing and bedding.

I deep cleaned and repainted my master bedroom and bath a few weeks ago. Now I need to get more decluttering done as far as summer clothing, footwear and bathroom essentials.

I had set up my wrapping center with all of the beautiful rolls of wrapping paper and tons of bags and bows. While streamlining this area to condense everything to one room I decided to go with a few main colors for the wrapping paper and donated the other 17 rolls to my daughter in law. I can always dress it up or down with embellishments and ribbons instead of keeping 20 rolls of wrapping paper.

I will be doing photo Christmas cards this year so all I need to do with this is update my mailing list. A lot of moving taking place this year with family and friends.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh I really NEED this week to finish up the Master that I tore apart when I cleared out all of our clothes down to what we truly love.

I need a really focused day to pull the room back together and get it done. I really want a new bedspread. Wonder if I can pull that off this week.

Back later with this week's list. Can't really do anything til tomorrow since I just got the relatives out and will be in town all day today. A busy week!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Slowly getting through that corner. I'm having a tough time just getting in extra time to work on the room this week. Over the weekend, I said "Yes" to two events this week. I'm now seeing how much time it is taking away from my goal. Hmmm... I can see now that I will have to think twice about saying "Yes" if it takes me away from getting things done.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Mary, We all tend to be helpful whenever called upon. However, it is often at the expense of our own homes, health and family. Put yourself first, then if there is time to commit to others, say yes. I speak from experience here. LOL

Cindy, your word for 2015 is "Pretty" so go for that new bedspread. :) I've been thinking of replacing my comforter as well.

I'm still sorting Christmas ornaments by color and other seasonal décor which is being relocated from it's storage room to the garage. I have huge Rubbermaid tubs full to the point that when the tub doesn't close, the rest is being donated to charity. So far I have full tubs of: Green, Red, Blue, Purple, Gold, Silver, White, Mulit (Red/Green/Gold)and Taupe/Champagne/Brown. I donated 3 Chritmas trees and kept 5 of trees.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Catch up from Week 2:
Copy Christmas list from Excel to an app and back it up -- IN PROCESS....
Update calendars & sync iPhones -- IN PROCESS.....
Make hard decisions on computers, the cloud & photo software. - Ugh.
Pinterest Christmas pages - Review for ideas for this year. - DONE.
Marie Kondo "Paper Declutter" - still going...

Week 3:
Redecorate Master Bedroom (after emptying my clothes closet all over it 2 weeks ago)
Repurpose old dresser for attic storage.
Clothes Closet: DONE. (DH needs to toss a few more).
Check Christmas Card list is up to date
Christmas Card Return Address labels printed
Gift Closet - Empty out an remaining items from last Christmas from the lockbox.

ejagno - Thanks for the reminder! I so needed that to confirm I need to get that new bedspread! :)

LOTS done yesterday on the Master. Remembered my trusty fold out table and propped that up in the middle of the room. So much faster cleaning up when I can just load it all onto that table (at waist level) -- I'm rewarded with "Instant Clean" in my clutter areas and then I just need to put away the stuff when it is all on the table. Somehow it is easier. I'll be dragging that table all over the house in the coming weeks. My side table is looking all awesome now! :)

Here is where time gets tight this week though. I'm pretty booked up the rest of the week. Will have to grab time as I can.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hello all. Sorry to be late to the party this week. Between a full schedule and sketchy internet service, posting has been challenging. But from what I've seen, you guys are doing great! I have been procrastinating about my clothing storage and craft supplies because I haven't wanted to tackle my closet. It's a lot like Mary Poppins' carpet bag- you never know what you're going to pull out of it but I must say- there is a rather impressive amount of stuff in there. I started on it last night and I'm planning on finishing up today.

Ellen- do you have a tree for every room? I can imagine your house must be lovely at Christmas. You got hit with a lot more than a reckless driver last week. I really admire your attitude. Your family is very blessed to have you.

Cindy- I love the folding table idea. Sort of a central sorting station. Brilliant!

Mary- you can do it!

Tanya- mine is tucked away clutter, too. The master closet is 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 so opening it is a dangerous prospect after I've tucked everything away. ;)

Here's my list.
House
[x]paint lamp and frame
[x]buy and hang lace sheers
[x]set up "charging station" space with sewing machine drawers
[x]switch to brown shams and cream quilt on bed
[x]move purple tote to closet
[x]tuck craft kits into brown metal tote and move to empty corner
[x]wipe down walls and light switches
[x]wash windows
[x]swap fall clothes
[x]move handbag storage
Holidays
[]address 5 cards
[]buy tape
[x]move and organize gift closet
[x]set up boxes for food drives
[]make two freezer meals
[x]talk to Melissa about Thanksgiving and Christmas
Crafts
[x]cut fabric for C2's valances, sew and hang
[x]cut lace for girls' valance, sew and hang
[]hem Mom's blouse and C1's dress
[x]pillow case for our room
[x]pillow case for C3
[x]pin binding onto bunny blanket
[]work on throw
[x]stitch hangers onto finished ornaments
[x]dog ornaments/tags [x][x][x][x][x]
[x]sew ribbon onto C1 costume
[]pin and sew one zipper bag

Chris

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kringle, I agree, everyone is doing a great job. We need to keep encouraging each other to get things done!
I am cleaning my gift closet at the moment.
I have wrapped all the stocking fillers and as I store them in my bedroom I would like to tidy up a bit so a can store them neatly.

Keep going everyone!!!

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I am happy to say I have almost everything checked off on my list. Yay! My room looks awesome! I have the cards out and will address them tonight and I am putting some crockpot meals together while I make dinner. No tape this week, though, and I need to get thread for Mom's shirt. I might work on a zipper bag- we'll see.

And I finally got some sewing started on- I have really been putting off starting because I've been so intimidated by it. But, today I made the softee blanket for our granddaughter (due in a few weeks) and I really like how it's turned out. I have never made anything like this and have been totally making it up as I go so it feels good to like it and not just see the flaws. I've started putting pics in an album and I'd love your feedback. Like suggestions on a face.

Katrina- way to go on the wrapping!

House
[x]paint lamp and frame
[x]buy and hang lace sheers
[x]set up "charging station" space with sewing machine drawers
[x]switch to brown shams and cream quilt on bed
[x]move purple tote to closet
[x]tuck craft kits into brown metal tote and move to empty corner
[x]wipe down walls and light switches
[x]wash windows
[x]swap fall clothes
[x]move handbag storage
Holidays
[]address 5 cards
[]buy tape
[x]move and organize gift closet
[x]set up boxes for food drives
[]make two freezer meals
[x]talk to Melissa about Thanksgiving and Christmas
Crafts
[x]cut fabric for C2's valances, sew and hang
[x]cut lace for girls' valance, sew and hang
[]hem Mom's blouse and C1's dress
[x]pillow case for our room
[x]pillow case for C3
[x]pin binding onto bunny blanket
[x]work on throw
[x]stitch hangers onto finished ornaments
[x]dog ornaments/tags [x][x][x][x][x]
[x]sew ribbon onto C1 costume
[]pin and sew one zipper bag

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kringle, well done on the sewing.. How exciting a new baby to spoil at Christmas. Congratulations.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kringle you do beautiful work!! I'd love to know how you make the lavender sachets. and what wire do you use for the baby jesus?

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Wow, you gals are on fire. I'm so thankful I had deep cleaned my master bedroom and bath a few weeks ago because we had an unexpected setback this week when we discovered termites in one of our exterior walls. Well, 50' of wall had to be completely removed, including our main electric service panel with all of the breakers in 100º heat index and no water. Whew, they got the electrical reconnected and now I have water also. Now to rebuild the interior and exterior walls and get this massive mess cleaned up. I'm so thankful DH is such a good craftsman.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Thank you, Katrina. Yes, this is our oldest son's first child. We are so excited! They live in TX and we are in TN but we try to see each other throughout the year. Now we have even more reason for get-togethers.

Thank you, Lucie. I used Parawire 20 gauge copper colored wire. It was at Hobby Lobby for $4.99 before coupon. I think I found it in the jewelry section. The sachets are on my Pinterest board Santa's workshop. The link is tricky- you have to read fast before it switches to another page. I used scrapbook paper for those but thought they would be cute with old dictionary pages or news print. And the directions for the baby Jesus ornaments are either there or in Christmassy- sorry, I can't remember. Here's a link to my Pinterest boards.

https://www.pinterest.com/schweikster/

I started on the zipper bag but I don't like the seams so I'm starting over. I need to get a zipper foot, I suppose. I do like how the bag was starting to shape up, though. Very cute.

Ellen- Termites? -ugh. I don't envy you the mess. We had termites in AZ but we were fortunate with no real structural damage. I'm glad you have a handy hubby. I don't know what I'd do without mine. I generally have at least one thing I need him to fix, if not a list of things, on the weeks he's home. But a major overhaul? On top of a reception and a remodel? Yikes! He'd throw in the towel. Hang tough. If anyone can handle this, I'm pretty sure it's you.

Chris

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Kringle! I pinned them.

Phew - Ellen!! wow... you wil be tired before Christmas comes! - Thermites, remodeling for your fil, wedding reception. It's a big year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Everyone is doing well!

I didn't get to the bedroom as I had hoped. I had a few medical issues to deal with last week and a few more follow up appts. for the upcoming week. The great thing about working on this plan now is that I do have plenty of time to catch up.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im a bit behind this week. Actually Im behind from last week. I will catch up though as not much to do in DS's room- we did a big declutter not long ago. I will have more time this weekend and into next week- just been super busy late last week and early this week.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I got a lot of work done for this week.

I painted the bedroom and brought the furniture from the storage unit. DH thought I was crazy, but I told him that our bedroom had to be in order during the reno. Usually, it gets dealt with last.

We are sharing our dresser and wardrobe with DD while she doesn't have a bedroom, so we had to do some reorganizing for that.

We have no trim, door, curtains or decor in the room, but it still feels like home.

Christmas card list is organized and depending on time, I may have to buy cards instead of making them.