HOLIDAY Notebook Challenge - Week 2! Recipes/Cooking

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
It's Week #2! I hope everybody had fun getting their gift/budget sections spiffed up.

Week #2 is Recipes/Cooking week!

~ Time to go through your recipes critically. Any you have never used or need a tweak? Make a date to test them! Your family will LOVE being taste-testers and it will make your Christmas season much more stress-free when everything is perfected.

~ Are you recipes a mess? You might want to work on organizing them. I did this recently with great results. I printed all my recipes up on the computer & put them in a lovely photo album. They are also organized by section - Everyday Meals, Christmas Favorites, Easter, Birthday Cakes, Quick Appetizers etc. It's easy to grab, everything is all in one place and everything is protected from the mess of ingredients in the plastic.

Some of you may want your Christmas recipes separate and in a book of their own. Do what works for you!

~ Don't forget to visit the Holiday Recipe Notebook forum on HH site to see what others have done for their festive recipes:

viewforum.php?f=63

~ HH Recipes forum to browse:

viewforum.php?f=36

~ How about also doing an inventory of your cooking utensils and pantry? Is your bunt pan on it's last leg? Could you use a new punch bowl ladel? Make a list of things you'll want to pick up throughout the year.

What other suggestions and tasks can you suggest to everyone here for their kitchen/ recipes/ cooking section? How have you tweaked yours to your advantage? Be sure to post and let us know!

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
That is the biggest thing I have to change. I have such a lot of recipes and cookbooks.
I only like five or ten recipes in a book, no more.
I`ll started to copy and file them, but what shall I do with the books.
I gave one to the asistant were I copy the book :)

Every month I sort out three letters from my files and my magazines ;) That will fit with the Holiday Recipe Notebook challenge. :)

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
With a small house and our location we never host, so I don't need a separate section. However, I do need to get the recipes that we take together on one sheet- will do!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have so many recipes that I say I am going to try and never do. I am going to start a list of ones to try and a date to try them. I have just reorganized my recipes, now I just have to start making them!!

Have a good week,

"heartstrings: Melanie

jmgconner

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Oh zchristy, you're hittin' hard here! LOL!

Okay, my goal this week is to organize my recipes by category, ala recipe book style. Right now they are all printed looseleaf on paper and stuck in a drawer. When I want a recipe, I have to go through HUNDREDS of pages to find the one I want. I'm sure I'll need to revisit this challenge, but baby steps for now!

DONE! I can't believe how little time it took once I sat down and just did it!

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
Yes that´s what I do.
If I'm looking through my monthly magazines I will catagorizing the recipes I ripped out.

There are some nice things for 'gifts in the kitchen' like 'baking in a jar'. I started this last year with different doughs. Some were excellent, some ok.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love this! I've been working on my recipe notebook since Turkey Day! I have most of my favorites/holiday recipes in page protectors and roughly categorized. I need to categorize them better and I want to add a Gifts in a Jar section for the tried and true ones. I think I need a bigger notebook!